Agnostic.com

24 23

Smashed my finger in a door today. Shouted "Jesus Christ!" (Because it fucking hurt!) And my coworker shouts back "I thought you were an atheist?" (All of this is being shouted between our classroom doors so thank goodness no kids were there) so I yell back "I use it as a term of disbelief"

Next room over I hear another teacher yell "OH SHIT! DAMN!"

Just in case yall wondered what preschool teachers do when kids are gone.

Kaycee 4 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m a forever fan of Teachers ❤

Varn Level 8 Mar 23, 2018

“For Christ’s sake! I am an atheist!”

I would have used the f-word in between jeezus and kreist, but that's just me.

Here's a visual...

@mt49er oh, you naughty, naughty boy. Hah!

me too. Always!

Had hit my hip on the laundry room door, last week twisted my back think I said every curse word in the dictionary and may have made a few new ones.

I'm surprised teachers stay at their jobs at all, with the low pay and lack of respect for their work.

Those I've met/ know don't teach for money, or fame 🙂

@Varn I only taught because it was the only work I would do, or was interested in. But I couldn't make a living at it. I could only teach because my husband made a lot of money and I lived on the family farm. After trying it, I stopped teaching public school and only taught university adjunct classes since public schools required teachers to work for free most weekends and after school, and any students could accuse any teacher of anything, if they became angry with the teacher.

@birdingnut I get that.. Those I’ve known taught from compassion, and, they burn out … many becoming bitter.. But those having lasted have great benefits. In Oregon, they’ve the strongest union in the state, and I think their compensation’s fair. Never enough, maybe adequate.

@Varn I'm feeling the burn right now.

I stay because I don't have another job lined up yet. Im burned out. I hate my job, I dislike half of my students, and I want to slap the freckles off my supervisor. But I have bills.

Just an update...Ive quit.

I usually say Ye sue kristo, and most Chrisians wouldnt know what i was talking about

Just a few responses:

I say "gesundheit' to a sneeze because, if I recall correctly, it translates to "good health" rather than any kind of blessing (Germans got it right).

I read the Way of Kings and in the book Storms are almost deific in their power. Thus, "storm off!" is a strong curse. I do a lot of storming about as my way to curse (when I think about it and am teaching).

“I say "gesundheit” … couldn’t have spelled that if I’d taken all day 😀
It seems I’ve noticed a disproportionate number of teachers on this site - not surprised, but impressed..

What is Jesus' middle Name? I don't know but it starts with "H"

Harold. as in Harold be thy name? a bit like the Swaggie in the Aussie ballad, "Waltzing Matilda" his name is Andy.

@Rugglesby I thought it was Howard be thy name 🙂

Interesting. So if you said "fuck" instead, would she think you were actively having sex?

Sorry, that made me giggle

Try "Son of a Bitch" instead...i find it a superior pain reliever by far!

I taught preschool years ago. Out of college worked at day care center and years later when I had a baby at 42 and I wanted to be close to her. Preschool teachers know how to swear - lol.

Oh yeah I curse like a sailor, but not in front of my students and Im pretty good about not saying it in front of my nieces or nephews.

Well technically you're not supposed to "take the lord's name in vain" so.... No Christian should say it.... Seems like it would only be an atheist saying.... God, were he real, would see it as blasphemy.... Its a curse word. It can mean different things to different people but I was always baffled by Christians using the phrase when they were angry or in pain. They never were much for logic! My mom tries to say some bullshit about how when you say it, it's a prayer... K. No. But I guess we all have to sleep at night

Haha, God is a big boy, he can handle it.

It's very much the same for Middle and High School teachers. 🙂

I too revel in using the "lord's" name in vain!!

That's a brilliant pre-school sub-culture underbelly developing there 😮

Well, how else are you supposed to express that something's unbelievable?

And how do you know he wasn't the carpenter who built the thing???

@atheist hey, I do think Jesus was a real person, and a carpenter, just not my person-al savior.

How can you blame the carpenter who installed a door if you smash your finger in it? We get all the flack.

@CallMeDave It was a lame attempt at a joke, guys, give me a break!

@atheist I've read, and seen some documentaries that writings of Josephus and other historians and authors of those times, including ancient Hebrew texts, have made mention of a prophet named Jesus who had a following and was a carpenter, but the stories vary.

Lol I've shouted oh Jesus I'm coming but that's another story.

so busted

Please keep in mind as yall read this that my coworker and I are always messing with each other about religion. Shes a Christian (baptist, I think) and Im an antitheist, but we have good natured debates and jokes between us about it. She accepts that I will never convert back to Christianity, and I accept that she will never leave it, so we joke about it.

Classic ?

Nomad Level 6 Mar 24, 2018

I blame everything on Jesus. My Atheism only says I don't think Jesus was magical, not that he didn't exist.

Saying Jesus Christ while your in pain is saying the lords name in vain and is a sin to most Christians. It's a turn of phrase I'm sure you could think of other things that you say that you don't nessesaerily believe in. How you know many people have still minds. They can't fathom how words change even when people use them in a totally different context, which is what really matters at the end of the day.

It was a joke between friends. She didnt see it as a sin and even if she did, shes accepted that Ill sin all I want bc I don't believe anyway.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42245
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.