Agnostic.com

14 1

Does true love know distance?

Some of my friends say yes, some say no. I'm inclined to say yes....but I am open to differing opinions.

JayOleck38 7 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. Twice tried, twice failed. It might be a little easier with live video and unlimited phone, but l am pretty sure l won't do it again.

I think if two people were already in love and in a committed relationship (whether monogamous or polyamorous) and they had to live far away for work opportunities it would work.... but if we are talking people "falling in love" over long distances I don't think those work or work out for very long... I think people fall in love with the idea of the person and not who the person actually is and then when they have to live together or have kids together the person's true self comes out, which I think often leads to divorce or separation/breaking up. So my answer is IT DEPENDS.

I've never tested the situation. So maybe.

I had a friend who moved from America to Australia to live with someone she’d been in a long distance relationship with. It turned out he was at least 10 years older than he’d said. They had a relationship for a while, but are just friends now.

Love is not dimmed by distance, time or death

@Doraz thank you

On dating sights it seems to be about fifty to one hundred miles. 🙂

I can't imagine to love happening over a distance. Maybe that's because it's never happened to me.

I haven't had much luck with it myself. And pickings around my tiny town are pretty slim as is.

Not really did that successfully 19 years ago

And what if we ask: what do those in long distant relationships say about the distance?

It's an obstacle, not a deal breaker. My wife and I did a 1500* mile LDR before moving in together.

*Technically 1456 miles - yes I drove it - twice.

My best relationship came from a long distance connection. Chemistry, which many say one needs to heed, tells us nothing and, in fact, often sends the wrong message. Getting to know someone over a distance (even before meeting them) can help really get to know someone. In my case it was over the phone for 2 months before we met. After a couple of failed relationships and a couple of good ones it was the distance one that was the best. However, compromises have to be made by both sides. It's often a matter of priorities.

@Bierbasstard Same with me. We talked on the phone for 2 months. I went to Dallas (my birth home and where most of my family still lives) to meet her. I told her Dallas Seattle is no contest so she decided to visit Seattle. She fell in love the first day. Back and forth to the area and every time the weather was beautiful and every time she got to experience something totally new (ferries, islands, mountains, city parks the sights). Sometimes I wondered if she was attracted more to the area or me. However, it was her choice to move the the San Juan Islands and I have never regretted it.

@OwlInASack It seems to be in the minority from what I read. If one has had a great relationship ones standards go up. If one has only had poor relationships the bar is set low and often so are the expectations. Problem is, one has to let go of the past only insofar as it becomes a guide for the future.

True love? I'm not sure there is such a thing. In the off chance that there is... I would meet someone long distance if we connected well online.

On this site I feel it needs to come in stages, public interactions, messages, E-mails and then phone calls and finally some visits from each party. One needs to be very careful, there are a lot of scammers out there and we have heard some real horror stories.

@JackPedigo one needs to always be careful. But it's pretty easy to identify a scammer... or an abuser.

It wouldn't stop me.

Ill get to this once i finalize my answer to "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin"

Lol
..depends on if you believe in Angel's. I dont

If distance stops you then it isn't true love.

1of5 Level 8 Nov 5, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:422865
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.