Agnostic.com

33 3

What if God is the wrong thing to call something?

Just a "what if" question, what if something were to exist that has a cognitive mental capability BUT it was not all-powerful, it was not spread out to infinity in every direction, not all-present, and what If it didn't know everything but still caused people to call it God? That something has abilities to interact in ways with people but people cannot force its interaction.

What would a consensus be of this yet to be scientificly discovered thing that causes some people to say something exist?

Word 8 Nov 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"god" is always the wrong thing to call "it". for instance, to which of the 5,000+ "gods" are you referring, for starters?

You think only 5000? I created taco God. Do you know how many people has eaten a taco?

@blahblah throughout the history of humankind, as my reseach goes, humans have created around 5,000 gods to date.

are you suggesting EVERY taco you make and consume, is thus, another "god" so... for instance, the taco bell up the street makes about 10,000 tacos/day. so that's 10,000 MORE gods? is that your assertion?

Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are "gods"'?

What is Christianity about? Following Jesus. What did Jesus say the law was? People are God. What do you think Christianity is based upon? What is written as to what Jesus said.

Illogical atheist constantly debate, and debate Christians over "Jesus" and Christian's just let illogical atheist make fools out if themselves debate Christian in front of them in the debate, when it is the Christian person that is the God.

Biblical text peer reviewed for at least almost 2000 years AND has achieved world record for being most copied text of it's kind.

Jesus does not need to be proven to show atheism wrong, uneducated or illogical.

@blahblah i'd rather not have verse quoted at me. but since you took the time... i'll give you this back:

@blahblah oh... and you didn't answer my question.

@lakota_5 as it is said by people and written in biblicaltext, "man created god". So, I become a man and created as I call a Taco God. A person, any person , eats at least 1 taco in their life, the person is a taco God. Now if, a bunch of scientifically trained taco eaters get together and build a space ship, it could be said taco God created a space ship. "Taco god" could label any assorted group of taco eaters.

@lakota_5 when you understand Jesus character in view of Jewish traditional writings not just biblical text you would understand in entire Jewish traditions that Jesus character is Angelic lord of host Lucifer the devil.

@lakota_5 which Q?

@lakota_5 go to taco bell as you say, watch a taco being eaten by a person. Then you would know that the person is a taco God as I created, not per say an assertion, but that I created this style of god. Tacos are real, people are real and people really eat tacos. Taco God as I, a man , created, really exist.

@blahblah you talk from a pompous idea that Christians are superior because of their false belief that Jesus is either part God or the son of God. Christianity choose and picks what it wants out of the Torah. Now I am not a religious Jew but I have read the original "bible" many times. there is no mention of a virgin birth for 1. for 2 I can give you several reasons why Jesus NEVER fulfilled the qualifications of being the Messiah according to the Torah which Jesus was well familiar with. I can give you a long list of deliberate and probably accidental misquotes of the original Torah so that Christianity could justify their entire religion. Jesus was born a Jew, lived a Jewish life and died a Jew.Get a Jewish bible and read it and gain some real knowledge
Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
Jesus was not descended from the lineage of King David
Jesus did not usher in 1000 years of world peace
the 3rd temple was not built during his time in fact the 2nd temple was destroyed during his time

just a few things for you to digest

@bklynite53 I had an old friend, he's passed away now, but he did a lot of Torah research. In a conversation or few he had mentioned things that sounded interesting. I have not dug into a lot of that my self.

One thing I think of as to Jewish expectations of messiah was the lion and lamb prophesy that they would literally be changed to not be a preditor/prey animals. Messianic Jews I understand look for this literal creation change. Where as I understand Jesus character was considered Lion of the tribe of Judah, lamb of God. Figuratively, both together.

That's my understanding on that.

@bklynite53 and being taught from king james growing up, I have vague recollection that the "Temple" of god ... is the body of a person no longer a stone structure. I would have to research to find references for that thought.

@bklynite53 does the Jewish torah still recognize "the lord" as Egyptian ? The LORD Almighty will bless them, saying, "Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance." Isaiah 19:25

@blahblah "...per say..." [sic] REALLY?

@blahblah, @bklynite53 you guys are KILLING ME.

you both speak of this JEEBUS character as though it has lived. you're HILARIOUS. there never existed this mytholigical zombie carpenter jew, only white guy in all of the middle east from 2019 years ago that was virgin created.

what the actual f***

you BOTH just invalidated anything you had to say by suggesting that this "THING" (jeebus) every existed.

mic drop.

@lakota_5 I have had more precognative dreams of seeing future events, prophetic words of knowledge, e.s.p. or psygchic if you want to call it. No matter 2000 year old stories or not, wheither you want to call something jeebus or not I just about could care less i know all to well there is in fact something.

Here, looks like you dropped you mic. [Picks up mic and hands it back to Mr. Mic dropper]

You mean like Jim Jones of Jonestown, or David Koresh of Waco, or Joseph Smith and the Morman Church or Charles Manson and the Mandon Family?

No, more as to question a demon possession. With such high occurrence of these cult leaders fulfilling biblical prophesy of last days saying the are "jesus" .. or do you think they read biblical end times prophesy and say "I want to be that character claiming to be Jesus to decieve people then be killed" do you think people read biblical prophesy and actually want to do that?

@blahblah

I think most are pathologic narcissists (like our President) that convince themselves of their own self importance. They have read the bible, believe some of what the read, but at some point realize that some people are easy manipulated and can be conned into believing in a messiah figure. They become the messiah and create a self-fulfilling prophesy using the bible as a means to an end.

On a side note, given hypotheticals; given the right circumstances Trump could easily step into that role (in fact to a certain extent he has with his supporters). How many Evangelical pastors have said he has sent by God, and Trump has repeated that sentiment himself.

@t1nick as to one issue, is anyone going around saying they are Harry Potter God incarnate?

Second issue. For christianity it is biblical to support "powers" of government "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: Roman's 13

@blahblah

Yes, if you reject the paradigm completely, it loses all meaning and power. I reject the paradigm

What if you don't post what ifs?

or just don’t comment if you’re not interested in hypotheticals

@basher becausebyouvsay so? Read the site's reason for being.

@Mofo1953 nah i didn’t say you literally can’t. it’s just being argumentative for no reason. do it if you want, but expect people to see you as a jerk seeking conflict.

Would we have "science " if people didn't ask questions?

@blahblah yes

@blahblah, @basher wrong, my comments always have a reason, and again, you assume way too much, maybe your post makes people see you as a jerk, have you thought of that? Probably not.

As a teenager I used to think along these lines and come up with ideas like an earthworm or maybe ants being god. YHVH is god and some hold to a simple form in English of "good" being where the word "god" comes from. Strange sermons in my lifetime had your wife, your car, or your money being your god.

Quite simply a lot of us have been brought up to thank someone for everything very politely , so if there is nothing else to thank for our existence ( apart form mum and dad of course) then something had to be invented. Cognisence is really a human attribute but the all powerful bit had to be fantasy.

Cognisence? Cognition, thinking ability,? Other animals can think, dolphins have a language in their group. Elephants have good memory, they say.

@blahblah I agree animals have limited cognition but could not do the all powerful bit unless they were in a Philip Pullman novel.

Just another guy trying to get by!

I don’t see the point of bothering with that type of question. It’s irrelevant. There are no good reasons to believe in an all powerful God because there is no evidence of such being. The same can be said of the being you fantasize about. It’s pure make believe. I care about things that exist, because spending time on things we have no evidence about is at the very least a waste of time.

You may not have evidence, a person that claims an experience has evidence for themselves.

@blahblah some people experience thinking they are Napoleon, some experience thinking they have been abducted by aliens, some have out-of-body experiences, some have auditory or visual hallucinations, and so on and so forth. None of it meets the standards of evidence that would allow one to classify such experiences as facts. Poor evidence is subjective. Good evidence is factual and objective.

Whatever you or others experience is irrelevant with regards to what’s true. Truth is one and objective.

We have very different standards of evidence. I’m sorry, but I have no respect for what you arbitrarily accept as evidence. Humans are capable of seeing or feeling things that don’t actually exist. Your minor god is just that.

I'd say this entity would be just as irrelevant to my life as the nonexistent ones currently are. In addition to all the questions those of us interested enough to ask (not me) might have (so where is this God thing anyway, for example) of the current nonexistent ones, we could ask of this one "why me" or :why not me" and get the same crickets in response.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424997
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.