Agnostic.com

10 3

Message to the objective realist:

I know people who think the world is 6000 years old, and they think they have come to this conclusion based on objective evidence. The power to see what we want to see (cognitive dissonance, groupthink, confirmation bias, etc) affects everyone.

Every person in the world thinks they are objective and rational. How would you know if that is true? What specifically can a person do to avoid logical and cognitive traps?

SleepingOnABoat 7 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So to some people the world is only 6000 years old ? Then how come astrophysical scientists have proved that some light from stars and galaxies that have just arrived from space from distances of billions of light years away ? . Light travels at the speed of 186,000 miles per second Therefore one light year is.186,000x60x60x24x7x52

To calculate the age of these light rays from billions of light years away, we multiply................... 186,000 x60x60x24x7x52x1,000,000,000 [ multiples of billions.]

So to some people the world is only 6000 years old ? Then how come astrophysical scientists have proved that some light from stars and galaxies that have just arrived from space from distances of billions of light years away ? . Light travels at the speed of 186,000 miles per second Therefore one light year is.186,000x60x60x24x7x52

To calculate the age of these light rays from billions of light years away, we multiply................... 186,000 x60x60x24x7x52x1,000,000,000 [ multiples of billions.]

No. Not everyone claims to be objective and retional. Those not cliaming to be objective and rational simply cliam to be right -- based on intense belief.

"Every person in the world thinks they are objective and rational"

Nope, many people consciously believe whatever will make them better people, whether it can be demonstrated or not.

Use your common sense and fuck what other people want to think.

Everyone does believe they are objective and rational but it just isn't so. Some believers think that atheists take logic courses. They think they are objective and rational in their thinking but many of them believe a man on a winged horse flew to heaven.Others believe that a man died for 3 days and then came alive again.

Study geology, science and world history.

I read an article a couple weeks ago that said people with higher IQs were able to more accurately gauge their own intelligence, where people with low IQs could not. One sentence said they cannot recognize their own incompetence.

I can’t help wonder if that comes into play on this subject. I have met very intelligent believers, but I have never met a very intelligent “New Earther”.

I am by no means a genius, but I have met people that go on about how smart they are, and I can’t help but wonder how they even dress themselves in the morning…

My brother has a Phd and thinks the earth is 6000 years old, because some Bible scolars say that. My argument - if you need accurate information about any topic - ask an expert in the field. Dont ask a Bible scolar the age of the earth - ask an archaeologist.

gater Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

Bible scholars knew their answers in advance and that depended a lot on which bible college you went to. Again, this is an example of why there are different denominations of believers in the Abrahamic faiths.

That must be so much fun when you get together with him? Sigh.

@WizardBill Thank you 🙂

@RavenCT lol yes - it can be interesting. Im the black sheep in a family of Christians. I asked him about the Grand Canyon - millions of years of geological evidence right before him - he said God made it that way 6000 years ago.

Is his PHD in Theology?

@Trajan61 No in Psychology

Anyone who believes the Earth is only 6,000 years old, based on "objective evidence", doesn't understand what "objective" or "evidence" mean.

Yep.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42650
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.