Agnostic.com

13 10

Thousands of children perform backbreaking labor for America's products

NBC did a year-long investigation. This is their report:

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Please provide pictures or other proofs of children with their backs broken by performing employement tasks. Please and thank you.

SCal Level 7 Nov 18, 2019

@BryanLV

Don't be an idiot. "Backbreaking" means:

1. demanding great effort, endurance, etc.; exhausting:
    a backbreaking job.

[dictionary.com]

@BryanLV

Your writing does not make sense.

@LiterateHiker Let it go... sometimes people want to Argue.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

Good point.

If child labor is largely a phenomenon of poverty, any attempt to ban it through an enforceable minimum employment age policy could potentially be either innocuous or counterproductive. In addition, if the policy is well enforced only in the formal sector, a ban policy could increase participation in the informal sector as was seemingly the case in India.

For many children and their whole family the options are stark; work and eat - don't work and starve. Much of the world does not have a social welfare system.

Sadly not uncommon in some countries

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 18, 2019

plenty of adults do the same to buy them?

The sad and hard to face fact is if these poor children who come from large families did not work they might starve to death . The main issue is birth control and these children live in countries that do not have a clue about this .The root of all major atrocities on this planet is overpopulation but the idiots in power never address this issue because there is no money to be made in curbing the worlds population bomb

Yeah know the feeling only too well, we have had successive governments who have just sat back on their shiny, fat arses as Company after Company, Australian Original ones as well, 'farm out' their products, etc, to overseas countries.
For Example, Our 'national' Telephone Company (Telstra) NOW has ALL their inquiries, etc, services operating from India and your chances of getting someone who can actually speak English that is easily comprehended are about 1,000/1 at a minimum.
Even Aussie icons like Vegemite, for example, have been sold or being considered for selling to Off-shore International Companies, etc, and they governments wonder why there is so much unemployment in Australia.
2 weeks ago I went into the local Telstra shop to inquire about buying new battery packs for my home phone ( land line) only to find that the shop was staffed by 4 staff members of either Indian or Pakistani descent, it took the best part of an HOUR to explain to them what I was asking about, 20 minutes for them to find a stocks catalogue and then I had to search through it because they simply stated to me, " Not read english very well."

This has been covered for years by such groups as National Geographic. A recent report outlined the horrible conditions around the production of chocolate and it was a report on gold (and the fact most gold is used for investments (to make rich people even richer) was the tipping point for my late partner and I to cash in our IRA stocks. Problem is, Africa has, by far the largest population growth in the world. Many Africans don't even know of such a thing as birth control and the culture of men with several wives exacerbate the problem. Much of Africa is very poor and needs an income and use children as they are cheap, handy and there are so many of them. Often, our aid programs only adds more children to the equation. So if we stop investing in things from Africa the countries will slowly crash and many will suffer even more than now. It's a real conundrum.

In order to stop the exploitation of children and the poor, this country would have to threaten to halt the importation of all products containing the minerals mined in this manner.
We'd have to impose a straight-up embargo.

Not going to happen. Definitely not while 45 is in power.
Neither party has bothered taking up the cause either.

Our trade agreements enable exploitation of child labor. We all must do better to source products locally, daunting though that may be, while working to elect leaders who shun for-profit systems and favor labor-friendly practices.

We have a government that does not care about those details Capitalism is good so anything that supports capitalism must be good.

So sad.... so sad and we still believe Capitalism is the greatest thing to happen to mankind. We are walking on the cracked bones of those below us. And we think is dirt.

Quite the explotation story Those poor familys and kids and people compain in our countrys

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:428233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.