Agnostic.com

33 5

50 & Up

I’ve heard that people inevitably start gaining weight at 50, has this been your experience?

I’ve also heard that it’s a lot harder to lose weight and stay fit then.
What say you?

AMGT 8 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say BS. So many folks that I've heard complaining about their wieght, and limitations they perceive to be caused by age , also talk about all the activities they USED to do . If you keep up your fitness and muscle tone - you burn fat . Simple. If you choose instead , to mostly sit around, and stop doing certain things because "I'm too old for that". Well - you will be !

I'm the same size I was in my 20's, and in better shape. No physical limitations.

A strong believer in "use it or lose it" . Eat healthy (mostly). Regular gym visits, yoga, and plenty of outdoor activity - it works !

@Gwendolyn2018 @AMGT menopause doesn't help!

@Presley1209 It may present challenges , but they can be overcome.

Only if they decrease their physical actvity and increase their food intake. It really should be the time to get in shape and stay in shape for the rest of their lives. Enough things are goind to strat to dysfunction physically as you age. You don't need to add to it and increase your lifespan.

I actually started losing weight around then

I haven’t yet, but you know, that calendar, gotta live by it. 11/26/23 at midnight, my time zone, BAM!!! I’ve got 40 lbs scheduled to kick it with me.

@AMGT yeah baby, you’re right, that shit ain’t gonna creep up on this ??

I have, but I quit smoking at the same time so that contributed. Rather than smoking, I eat more.
I don't get much exercise because my back is junk, so I've got to fix my diet.

@AMGT No, I don't eat when I'm not hungry, it's more of a replacement for having a smoke.
I need to eat healthier food. Rather than eating junk, I need to start eating fruit. Bananas, apples, oranges, whatever. Lay off the carbs too.

@AMGT My doc prescribed me Chantix® and it helped immensely. I tried to quit so many times before and couldn't do it. It was fairly easy for me with that. You don't stop abruptly either, you taper off while you're taking it.
Thanks for the grapes tip. I'll definitely do that, I love grapes.

I've given up bread ,,not as hard as quiting the smokes,,but still breaking habits ,my next is cutting down the sugar ,,I too need to do this

true for me

I actually am in better shape at 64.yikes I said it.

Everything is harder after 50... well , most things. Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42824
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.