Agnostic.com

85 7

How old were you when you got married for the first time?

"For many people, regardless of sexual orientation, a wedding is no longer the first step into adulthood that it once was, but, often, the last. It is a celebration of all that two people have already done, unlike a traditional wedding, which was a celebration of what a couple would do in the future.

Consistent with this shift in meaning, different-sex couples, like the many of the same-sex couples who have married recently, are starting their marriages later in their lives. According to the Census Bureau, the median age at first marriage—the age at which half of all marriages occur—was 27.4 for women and 29.5 for men in 2017. That’s higher than at any time since the Census began keeping records in 1890."

[theatlantic.com]

VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

85 comments (76 - 85)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was 19, in the Army, got married in Leominster, Mass by a JP that was also an undertaker. He was 28, the marriage lasted less than 2 years. When I married the father of my children I was 25.

25 in 1990... Divorced two months before my 30th birthday.

20 years old... 1st last and only...

Hutch Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

I was very very young, just turned 19, and pregnant. Lasted 2 yrs, doomed from the onset.

20 years and about 8 weeks in 1979.
Pretty young given 1970 was my last year of primary school.

That’s the same thing I did in 79 ..with only a couple years on you..

@VictoriaNotes Wait.......You were 20 in the late 70s? You don't look more than 40 in your picture.

I was 25 when I married for the first time, in 1962.

16 years old

dc65 Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

Shotgun wedding?

@kensmile4u my marriage lasted 24 years

@dc65 Shotguns are a powerful motivation. Lol... My ex was expecting when I got married. We were married 13 years. It was the most stressful time of my life. I had 2 kids with her. They were the silver linings. She was the dark cloud!!!!

I was much older than average - 37!

Jnei Level 8 Mar 24, 2018

@VictoriaNotes I like this way better!

@VictoriaNotes Another bonus is your kids get to be in the wedding. Imagine how much of an impression that will make on them about love and life. Wow....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.