Agnostic.com

40 8

Are Non Believers More Prone To Using Profanity?

If I were to ake the postings from this Forum as an exampleI would say yes. I

alon 6 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

On this site when it comes to degradingTrump most definitely.

fedup Level 6 Nov 24, 2019

Degrading Trump? Who can do that better than he to himself?

Som bitch ....agnostic.com has a filter AND WILL NOT LET ME TAG: fuck shit piss cunt motherfucker asshole

Studies have shown that intelligent people tend to swear more than stupid motherfuckers.

@Omnedon I couldn't care less if it's true or not. I think the shit is funny and that's why I posted it.

@Omnedon the study i saw found that they correlated the cussing to what was the most appropriate word to use in context. they indicated that smarter people tended to use the biggest (widest) vocabulary and most appropriate word to convey their idea. so, if profane fits. i don't recall exactly if they touched on appropriate venue for using profane, but i don't think they were referring to curses for curses sake.

@alon

Why do you post questions that show a bias against non-believers?

1. Are non believers more prone to using profanity?

2. Are believers better citizens?

3. Why do so many hate religion? What's to hate?

The questions do not show a bias but your answers sure do.

@OldMetalHead

Exactly. Well said.

There isn't a fucking thing wrong with "profanity".
As a matter of fact...

[sciencealert.com]

I agree with your observation in regards to this forum especially Trump haters and liberals arguing with conservatives.As far as the general population is concerned I would not know the answer to this .

Ummm, wouldn't that be a completely biased and incomplete sampling of data, given this is an almost totally non-believers site?!?!?

gawdamn right sis

Fucked if I know. Any dickhead who gives a shit about that crap is one of the biggest wankers you could come across, so just piss off with all that shite you’re talkin’.

I don't think so. Most people here don't use it here, so I try to to pick up the fucking slack.

I never used to swear or use profanity until I went in the Marines. Now fucking A, yea I swear.

No. Not more prone. They just feel less guilt when they do use profanity.

FUCK, yeah.

I think a lot of us have different standards for what we consider profane.

What the fuck is wrong with the word Fuck? One of the most fucking versatile words of the English language, it is noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, adjective, and exclamation. Motherfucker! What in the fucking fuck is so fucking wrong with fucking fuck?

Hell yes! And it's funny because we don't even believe in hell.

g

Who fucking cares?

Fuckin A

I swear like a drunk pirate.

Deb57 Level 8 Nov 26, 2019

I think that we might be less afraid to use profanity than believers are. For my personal experience, most believers I know are "offended" by profanity because they feel they have to be in order to conform with the religious expectation. I do use swear words but when I do use them without apology because I am no longer a child and I am allowed as an adult to curse. Many of the believers I know don't curse and act like children who are not allowed to curse because sky daddy will get mad. It's really that with them, they are still children afraid of making sky daddy mad.

Damn right

@Georgy303 because they're freaks - in a make-belief box marked X. ..like turkey stuffing stitched up! Fucking "hell".

Profanity is in the ears of the listener. Fuck em.

Typically. I like people who are true to themselves and their feelings. I don't like overly foul mouth people either.
I also have known believers that don't curse to be hypocrites and back bitters.

Is this even an issue?

Some studies have concluded that the more intelligent people are more prone to decorate their speech with extra adjectives, adverbs, and exclamations.

And, some studies have concluded that more intelligent people are more likely to be non-believers.

So, maybe a correlation. But, i have been around those who are neither and spew such words because they have few others.

I am a user of "those words", it has Nothing to do with religion or anti-religions.
I worked in a shipyard for 13 years & it is just the way I talk, I do not even hear it

I have a friend who swears constantly. There is a "fuck" in almost every sentence he utters. probably the result of spending most of his working life of fishing boats. I loved his little story about the time they had a Muslim in the crew and in a stormy North sea the guy tried to point himself towards Mecca to say his prayers. My friend's retort was "Your pointing yourself towards fucking Bergen man not fucking Mecca "
I would love to take him to a meeting of prissy churchgoers to see their shocked reaction.

Love it. The problem the prissy people have is they don’t understand vernacular!

Fucking A

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 24, 2019

To be honest probably. But lots of studies are showing "cussing" is a sign of higher intelligence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:430820
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.