Agnostic.com

12 2

LINK Rian Johnson Talks Surviving “Last Jedi” Hate

In terms of the bad stuff, I’ll tell you it’s interesting. That’s been one of the really healthy things for me about the past couple of years, is getting exposed to it. Before I made The Last Jedi, I had never had anyone hate me on the internet. If during the course of a year I got one negative tweet I would go into a panic. I’d be like ‘Oh my god, someone out there doesn’t like me. I need to fix this!’ The thing is though, I am really really thankful. Because what that meant is that my sense of self-worth was attached to the notion of everybody liking me online. And the fact that this process has made me, out of survival, disconnect from that.

Also it’s given me a more realistic view of the system that is social media. There’s a lot of great, genuine interaction that goes on. The bad stuff, the systematic trolling, the almost game-ified abuse that some people devote their entire online presence to; honestly, once you’ve seen enough of it, you see the pattern of it. It just sort of gets boring after a while. It doesn’t even give me that little negative ping anymore. And I don’t think it’s even my skin growing tough. It’s just I’ve put in perspective. I realize this is kind of a byproduct of this social Twitter system. There’s going to be some degree of people where this is their hobby, basically. So overall I found it made me adjust to social media where I’m seeing it and using it in a healthier way.

I thought he did the best he could with the trainwreck that that hack Abrams left for him, quite frankly. Anyway, if that's what it takes, I'm glad the experience made him stronger. I know that Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd were badly hurt by all the criticism. 😟

altschmerz 9 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That sounds really healthy. Too bad most non-famous people never get the chance to see this perspective due to lack of opportunity, yet it's pervasive everywhere for everyone.

It reminds me of artists formerly having their own methods of handling reviews by critics, some refusing to read them, and some regularly devastated by them...except, now, everyone and every statement is up for review. Just like this, my statement.

Troll culture is part of the ugly underbelly of the PC revolution. What you can't say in public, you spew in private.

It really is sad what has happened to the franchise since Lucas sold it. They're just rehashing the same story because they're lazy and know they'll make money anyway. The vignette "side stories" are the better movies now, at least they're something new.

I remember to this day in the summer of 1977 going to see Star Wars with my dad. I can remember us both saying, "WHOOOOAAAAAA" when that ship first appeared on screen! And they have been going downhill since. When you bring Jar-Jar Binks and the muppets in.... You have a loser!

I really like what he said about social media. I feel the same way. For years I avoided blocking people, thinking that I should be open to everyone. I grew to realize that the lack of consequences with online discourse makes the thrill of cruelty to tempting to many. So now I freely block those who seem consistently mean or combative and generally ignore anything that is passively cruel. I freely welcome dissent but I refuse to engage with trolls. It just feeds their appetite anyway and is counter productive. As for the movie, haven't seen it. I hated what J J Abrams did to Star Trek. Even so I gave the his first Star Wars movie a chance. I found it to be exceptionally shallow with no character development and the main character to be a total Mary Sue. I've avoided his movies ever since. Of course it's a Star Wars movie and while I love them I think they are all primarily pop corn films. But I know some people take them very seriously. I'm a big Star Trek fan so I can't really criticize them.

@altschmerz Just read it. Really good points. I was really put off by how easy it all came for Rey and how Kylo, the big bad guy, was basically an over indulged, spoiled child that she easily defeated within maybe a week of learning about the force. It really seemed ridiculous, especially after I realized they were basically trying to remake A New Hope and I remembered Luke's journey. No depth, no development, just really simplistic appeals to the lowest of what they thought the crowd wanted. Like they were playing to what a 4 year old might want. I felt like it was basically a money grab. And I felt like J J had done the same thing with Trek. I really hate him now.

I must be the only person that likes all 9 films . Each one is good in its own way

The last jedi was a big disappointment. I did not like it at all.

I have only seen snippets of some Star war films on TV. I am more of a "Trekkie" and it is interesting that the actors fragile egos have been hurt by criticism. My main problem with the franchise is the "war" bit. It normalises war. A bit like our great leaders talking about "colonising space" ffs have we not done enough colonising here on earth.?

@altschmerz I've always heard it described as a "space opera." Space Western sounds good especially with Solo and Greedo in the Cantina and the whole bounty hunters existing

I find it distressing that anyone, even successful people like him, would be upset by the opinions of strangers, on the internet or anywhere else....just sad!

I have very definite feelings about the "fandom" and their criticisms.
I wish I could tell those people precisely where they can stick their opinions
of what other people create.
I don't have a problem with JJ Abrams, at all.
I also liked what he did with the Star Trek reboot.

I go to movies for the enjoyment of them.
Not to dissect them and bitch about what they "should" have been.

I also just realized what I just said makes me a monumental hypocrite, because
I lost my tiny mind over the last season of Game of Thrones.

So go ahead and ignore everything I just said.
I'm going to sit here and own my hypocrisy, and feel like a jerk about it.

Individual audience members more and more seem to develop their own pet theories on what a particular movie should be, and if it isn't that, they hate it. So many are missing out on what certain movies/shows are actually doing (and doing very well) simply because they can't set aside their own (often stupid) notions of what a movie/show should be. (And sometimes individual audience members are not smart enough to know what a particular movie is doing, but that has been a problem going back decades. I remember after seeing "Fargo," a woman in the audience turned to her husband and said, "That's the last time I listen to Siskel and Ebert!" Similarly, when I saw "Mulholland Drive" 20 years ago--which I considered almost too easy to figure out for a Lynch film--a woman turned to her friend in the audience and asked, "Is someone going to come out here and explain this to me?" Even today, many didn't understand the end of "Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood", not even because they didn't know the history, but because they didn't understand the thrust of Tarantino's film at all...and thus didn't understand the ending.)

Never been a great fan of the Star Wars seemingly endless sagas but getting pissed off at the actors is going way way over the top in my opinion.
Geez Louise, some 'people' really do need to get a bloody life, don't they.

I feel the complete opposite. I thought Abrams set up interesting background stories for Rey & Snoke, and also a cool meet up between Rey and Luke; but Johnson completely shot those down.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens. Yeah, it was pretty much a retelling of Star Wars (A New Hope), but I didn't mind that at all; new generation of characters for a new generation of fans. Plus, it was so much better than the prequels. Immediately after watching The Last Jedi, I turned to my older brother and said, "I didn't like it." So many missed opportunities that Abrams set up and strange decisions taken with the story. But that was it for my criticism.

Star Wars fans are an intense group who sometimes blame the wrong people when things don't go the way they want. Ahmed Best (Jar Jar), Jake Lloyd (young Anakin), Hayden Christensen (adult Anakin), and later John Boyega (Finn) and Kelly Marie Tran (Rose) all got unfair criticisms from fans saying they ruined the Star Wars franchise. Blame shouldn't be put on the actors, but instead the director, producers, and writers. However, this blame shouldn't result in threats or online bullying. Constructive criticism should always be welcomed with art; however a lot of people react emotionally instead of thinking. Social media can definitely be a toxic environment; and some people need to learn some manners and decency when online.

@altschmerz I read it was her Instagram but wouldn't be surprised if she deleted all public social media pages. Boyega has his online trolls but I don't think it was to the same extent as Tran during that time.

Hmmm. I was thinking of "The Return of Jed's Eye." It was an old western where someone had stolen Jed's eye and was using it as a marble.

As for the "Star Wars" series I'm about done. They just keep things going on forever.

I really liked "Looper" and "The Last Jedi." I hear "Knives Out" is very good.

I generally like JJ also as a kind of Spielberg-lite, with an occasional moment of greatness.

I didn't learn about the effect of "The Phantom Menace" on Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd until many years later. It's sickening that fans would turn their anger toward the actors, who had little or nothing to do with what went wrong. (Although I think Jake Lloyd may have had some mental health issues unrelated to bullying fan abuse--but I'm sure the abuse didn't make it any better.) Jake also mentioned schoolmates teased him relentlessly over TPM, which may not have been "fans" per se, but children being idiots and adults not safeguarding him by teaching others how to behave.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:432735
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.