Agnostic.com

63 15

Anybody here also childfree?

rickandmorty8 4 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not yet. =]

Yes.

Got snipped 2 weeks ago. I've yet to hear a sound objective argument for why having children would improve my life. And all the science and research to date says it would do the opposite. They're expensive, ruin relationships, destroy the planet, and cost a fortune. It's an incredibly selfish choice to have children.

TimL Level 3 May 22, 2018

kudos to you

I used to want to adopt, but eventually experiences made me realize even if my mental health problems went into remission, I'm far from stable enough to make a kid dependant on me. It was initially disappointing, changing a huge life plan like that, but it's no longer something I grieve or feel I'm missing out on. I'm now antinatalist and hoping to get sterilized soon so there won't be any accidents.

raises hand

Hubs and I are happily childfree. We made the decision after several years of marriage and never looked back.

@SACatWalker Nailed it. I grew up in a house with my siblings and their children, and nobody was happy. It resulted in me finding every excuse I could think of to delay having kids of my own.

I actually remember the day we made the decision - my sister had said to me, kind of lowkey accusingly, "Mom says you and K aren't ever going to have kids." And it was like a lightbulb moment - like "hey, I don't have to do this and I really don't want to."

Turns out my husband had been coming to the same conclusion on his own. It was really kind of a short conversation.

My sister was pissed, lol

No, but two of my three older brothers were childless. Both decisions raised some eyebrows but I'm from a family that's good at minding its own business so I don't think it was particularly troublesome for them, even though we were caught up in evangelical Christianity.

Personally I suspect I'd be happier in some alternative timeline where I did not have children, but once you have them, you're bonded to them and responsible for them and there's no point going to those places.

It would be somewhat worrying if I weren't.

Yes. At child-rearing age I was too fucked up. Now I don't think I could physically handle young kids. Pretty sure I couldn't...

I am child-free, with no plans to change that. My girlfriend is on the same page. I have considered surgically ensuring that, but not so sure I will until I am pretty close to marriage. Gonna protect myself, anyway, so why get snipped yet?

spermbank?

Child free and proud of it 🙂 ,,, is that selfish?

no

Yup

I freakin hope so

Indeed I am

I'm 35 with 20 year old son who will be 21 in August. Needless to say I started young and unintentionally. I had a step daughter from a previous marriage that I loved very much (11 -12 years old) but she died with my ex-wife in a car accident. I have been childless by choice for the past 15 years or so and have always been a proponent of non procreation. But these days I'm beginning to rethink my original thought process. I've been single for years as a personal choice and now it's weighing on me. I kinda wanna have a child but I dunno for sure.

Roman Level 5 Mar 26, 2018

Sadly.

skado Level 9 Mar 25, 2018

Yes....

Absolutely. I have no interest in having children and if I did I'd adopt a child in need before making my own.

The planet needs more thoughtful breeders if I may be so blunt.

It doesn't need any breeders

I'm child free.

Yep! And planning to stay that way. Also, I love your username. I'm new to Rick & Morty, but I liked it immediately.

Rick and Morty is life!!

I work with children. I prefer to return home to cats.

No and I am very glad I'm not. I was 40 when my son was born, which means I waited longer than most.
My parents are only an hour away and he is the only grandkid within hundreds of miles. They have health issues. For the last 14 yrs they have played an active role in his life and it has kept them young in spirit. Now he helps with the tasks they can handle as well.
Watching and participating in his life is my single greatest feat. I was a rock climber who soloed and I also partook of other less-than-the-safest activities. Hyperbole probably, but I might not be here, and I surely would not be as whole a person as I am, were it not for him.
So make your choices. Please know that one life can mean the world to many other lives, and humanity's salvation rests with the children.

For the last 10yrs, on and off for the last 16

I will be when he turns 18 in about three years. 😀

you are never free of children

@btroje You make a valid point.

Tonight I am

Ldox Level 4 Mar 25, 2018

I didn't have kids until I was 26. I am almost 60, only had two of my own but for the past 25 years have had a housefull. I could do mail order, send cash and a big stamped self addressed envelope and state size, age etc and will send one by return.

Ha! My mother made t-shirts for my three siblings: Rent-A-Kid (with our phone number at the time). This was back in the early-to-mid seventies. I don't think she ever got any takers. 😀

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43485
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.