Agnostic.com

23 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tell children the truth about everything. It is not the truth that is the problem but the delivery.

Komisar should be stripped of her license to practice.
Telling parents to lie to their children is the worst possible "advice" to give.
Especially when she uses abject bullshit to base it on.

Mehta is 100% correct when he calls her a "lazy researcher". She most definitely is.
People like her make me so angry. I don't think they should be permitted to operate
as "advisers" to anyone.

The truth, no matter how painful, is always better than a lie.
All that matters is how you explain it. Do it as gently as possible, have as
many facts to explain what needs explaining, but BE HONEST.

Lying to children about basic elements of life is always a bad idea. Children live in the world just like the rest of us, and insofar as they are capable of understanding, they deserve the truth.

Moreover, coping skills need to be developed as we grow up also. Lying to children short-circuits that skill. Grieving is healthy. Denial is not. Facilitating denial for children is a dysfunctional group dynamic.

(Can you imagine... "Gramma isn't dead. She's sleeping in this box, and when we bury her, there is a network of tubes that will take her to another state, where they will bring her back to life. She'll be happy forever." "Can I call her?" "No." "Can she come back?" "No." "What's the name of this state?" "Quit asking questions." )

Sometimes , when people don't have an easy answer , they come up with the dumbest stuff , that causes more problems than it solves .

I think you just summed up how religion first came about in the first place.

In my own experiences as a parent, mostly as a Sole Custodial Parent btw, every time my daughter would ask a question no matter the subject I always tried to tell the truth in words, etc, that, at her age, she could easily comprehend.
I still remember clearly the day when I was requested to attend a 'little' discussion in the Principals Office at her school because she had disputed with the Teacher as to how and where babies come from.
Another child in the class had mentioned that his Mother was pregnant and he was going to have a little sister soon.
The Teacher told the class that God made the baby and put it into the mother's belly and that it was a gift from God.
My very often outspoken 10 year old daughter simply stood up and said " Rubbish, his Mummy and Daddy had sex just like the animals and birds do, she got pregnant and they are having a baby, my Daddy tells me the truth all the time and he should know, he is a nurse and they know all about things like that."
Then, according to the Teacher, my daughter went on to explain the 'nitty-gritty' of how the 'tadpoles' from the Daddy enter into the Mummy, meet up with a tiny little egg, get together and make a baby.
The Teacher was quite taken back at the idea that, in her exact words here, " a mere, silly, uneducated child could have the audacity to dispute the truth with an educated Teacher on how God makes babies and gifts them to parents."
I have no idea as what happened after my daughter and I left the office, but less than a month later that teacher has tendered her resignation, left the school and found employment at the local Catholic School.

Love that story about your daughter
Good on you to not fill her head with rubbish.

@Shaggy2018 I tend to think that Lorrae was born with a kind of in-built Bullshit detector system and could 'sniff out' bullshit faster than anyone else from a very early age.
She wasn't even 6 years old when she piped up one day and said, " Father Christmas, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy my bum, they're all you Dad, they're just made up stories, I know 'cause I saw you putting my Christmas presents by my bed last night."

So the teacher thought 'god did it'. LOLOLO

@freeofgod I'd lay even money bets that she was still a virgin, no offense intended to women or virgins btw, at the time, if so, she might be in for one BIG shock when she eventually learns different....LOL.

so then when they grow up, they get to experience the crushing disappointment of realizing they don’t get to live forever.

Well, aren't religious people lying to their kids too?

Exactly True, 100% true and undeniable.

They are lying to themselves so, to them, it is not a lie.

I am often asked this and similar questions. My response is an honest. There is no evidence to support (insert faith based assertion, life after death, there is a god, etc.). I'm not saying there is no (life after death, god, etc.) but there exists no testable evidence to support those ideas.

My opinion of the WSJ has been in steep decline in the last few years and this nonsense is just worthless! When is lying ever good for children? The adults in my life regularly lied to me about all sorts of things and I've never really forgiven them. Tell children the truth...in terms they can understand. You'll all be better for it.

The WSJ has been in dedline ever since Rupert Murdock bought it. He thinks fact checkers are a waste of money.

Mehta's right: this woman is obviously a lazy researcher. It sounds like she has personal believer bias.

I have practical experience from when my husband died when our daughter was three. Yes, she grieved for him, but it wasn't the truth of him being dead that scared and confused her, it was all the "well-meaning" religious who would tell her things like, "Your Daddy's watching you from heaven," or "Some day you'll see him again" or some other nonsense. After a while, she would reply in her little toddler voice, "My Daddy's dead. Dead is dead." Not mean, not sarcastic, but as though she was explaining something to them that they didn't know.

Then there's the terrible story about the 12 year old girl who committed suicide because she figured she could see her dad who she missed dearly when he died. This is from the religious poisoning that infiltrated her mind.

@Tolerant1 Oh my god, that's horrible! And yet a perfectly understandable act given what she's been told. How tragic.

When my boy was very young he asked me about death and I told him the truth. He got very upset by my answer so I lied and said the heaven thing to calm him down. He is now 6 and asked me again and I told him the truth but said that nobody really knows. He was very cool with it and didn't get upset at all. When I told him the many ideas out there, he seemed to enjoy the mystery.

I've always told mine that we go back to the universe. Since we are atheists they are fine with it. But I've always been very open with my kids and gkids about everything from birth control to drug use to death. And taught them to question everything.

Again, not so simple. My late partner was encouraged to ask questions and from early on thought religion was silly. When she had kids and moved to this country they adopted the holidays to help the family be a part of the culture. Later 2 of the kids became S. Baptists and she wondered where did she go wrong. Then it occurred to her one has to often teach and encourage kids to ask and question. Most people have no idea of how important this is and just go along. Kids who are atheist in this country (some parts) may have a difficult time fitting in.

Besides, how does one explain to kids when people and animals close to them die?

@JackPedigo, I tell my gkids and kid that as long as we carry their memory on they will never be dead. Our pets and family members will live on in our memories, in the stories we tell of them, and the stories they will tell of them to future generations.

@JackPedigo I'm not sure I understand what you mean by how to explain death to children. Because it's complicated? In my case, I found an extraordinary book "Saying Goodbye to Daddy" which I read with my daughter. I never forced it, but she added it to her stack of books to read every night for weeks. Mostly, I think she needed to know that she was grieving. Death really isn't any more far-fetched an idea than someone disappearing to another dimension and you can't see them until you grow old and die.

@freeofgod @Lauren It's complicate for some people and some circumstances. Parents, naturally, want to avoid giving their kids additional angst and death for all could create such anxiety (hence religion).

Totally agree. My late partner and I discussed this and agreed our mourning time would be short and we needed to get on with our lives and not be encumbered with mourning issues (I would told: "Sorry she would have given you maybe 2 weeks." I replied I know and that's what I would want. When you love someone you want whats best for them not yourself. Memories cannot be erased especially pleasant ones.

I have a close friend whose husband died after a long battle with Parkinson's. They were married over 50 years. Unfortunately, there is too much emphasis on things as sources of memories which, to me, only makes the loss worse.

Nonbelievers have the same right to discuss issues of life and death with their children consistent with their personal beliefs as believers do with their children. In then end, the children of both parents will make up their own minds when they become adults. Certain believers can be so arrogant to suggest imposing their beliefs onto the children of others is something they have a right to do. They don't.

Hell, while we're at it, let's lie about Santa and the Easter Bunny too.

I wish those lies didn't exist, either.
I think it sucks to lie to children, about anything.

Why lie, and why make is so bleak as turning to dust then nothing? Celebrate the truth. When not locked a cemet shoe box for all eternity, bodies decompose. Their decomposition returns nutrients to the soil. Which in turn supports plant lie, which in turn supports all other living things. It's beautiful cycle of giving back and replenishment. Much more important and uplifting than a fictional playground.

@Seeker3CO

A good way to maybe start a trend back toward green burials and away from the cement shoe boxes. Start with the next generation understanding the implications. Not throw up our hands in dispair.

Agree-the facts remain. Dancing around the subject gets
us nowhere.Death is a stage of life -except this and put energy into life.

It's really stupid to lie, there's no conundrum between death and belief in all bullshit religions, I think we are all sufficiently smart to talk to a child about death if they ask. It is after all a natural physiological step, everybody is born, and everybody will die, no need to scare the bejesus out of kids trying to sugarcoat the fact that it is as natural as being born with moronic idiocy of "eternal life" which is a load of crap and or bullshit in itself.

This is wonderful.

There is a "possibility," although nobody knows for sure, that human beings have a spirit, which is a form of energy, that "might" live on after the human body dies. Atheists do not believe that. Agnostics admit they don't know. And religious believers insist it's true. Which do you want to be? As for myself, child, the way I believe is ...[fill in the blanks].

@maturin1919 True. I was generalizing. I'm actually an atheist who chooses NOT to "believe" any such thing, but I'm aware that it may be possible. The human spirit can be observed; people without one are dead. So it appears to be a form of energy. The laws of the universe say that matter and energy cannot be destroyed but only transformed. Therefore, I "choose" to live in a way that presumes my spirit will be reincarnated.

Because we atheists are all about lies......

Better an uncomfortable truth than a comfortable lie.

Teach children HOW to learn...not WHAT to learn!
They want to know truth. If they understand that this is the only life they have then they will treat that life with respect.

Technically, even the Bible teaches that death is "non-existence" (the living know that they shall die, but the dead know not anything" ), etc., with even the apostle Paul claiming death is a "sleep" i.e unconsciousness 🤷

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:435691
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.