Agnostic.com

56 9

Are you attracted to people who are just comfortable being themselves from the start?

I'm trying to figure out if being too much myself on a first date is a bad thing or if I should treat dating like a job interview. Should I act better than I truly am?

paul1967 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you aren’t who you are , who else would you want to be ? Well you can’t be anyone else , the real you will always be stronger , why live a lie ? That takes energy that can be used more effectively

Just be yourself. What's the point otherwise? Sooner or later the real you will pop out. If they don't like who you really are, then that's a good thing: you will know right away, and can move on to someone who does like the real you.

Yes

No. Just be yourself. Maybe try to be a little extra humorous. If they like you for you, thats 3/4 of the battle won right there.

Don't lie, but be the best version of yourself. And try to be that version as often as you can regardless. That's my suggestion. But I'm single, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I wasn't suggesting lying. What I was saying is possible to be too much yourself. Should I dress better than I usually would? Should I smile and be more positive than I frequently am?

@paul1967 That's what I meant by lying — presenting yourself as someone you're not — as opposed to being yourself as anyone would see you on your best days. If you just mean putting your best foot forward, that to me isn't lying.

I advise strongly, be yourself from the start, if you go over the top, ie super romantic, super generous, super nice, a year later, you have eased off a bit, but are still 10 times more romantic, generous etc than the next guy, but how could a girl not feel that that the way you treat her is not as good, you treat her less well? Is she less important to you now? Don't set he bar too high, of course don't set it too low either, that won't end well.

I think confidence is considered one of the most attractive traits, which is being comfortable in your own skin. If you like who you are others will like who you are. Don't try to act better because you'll just have to try and keep that up or you look ridiculous later when they find out that's not who you are. If the don't like you on the first date then you've saved a bunch of time. Who wants to get all invested in something that's not going to work out.

Be yourself, make light jokes (don't be a jackass, be light with the comedy), but don't be too familiar. As guys, we gotta have some questions ready that can strike up the conversation, as I have noticed that the onus of starting the conversation and sometimes restarting or pacing is on us.

If she is talking, let her talk. listen to her. let her get it out. If she is leading the conversation. let her lead.

I always like to start by giving them the Evil Eye. It's a good ice breaker, and promise that you will remove it on the second date. But that's just how I roll.

Don't bare your soul to someone, but don't lie. Keep some insecurities and such to yourself, be your best self, but do not be someone you are not.

Sounds like you should ask those of interest, what they prefer. I’m attracted to women who don’t conform to social expectations. Knowing who you are and being comfortable with that, is highly desirable.

Marz Level 7 Mar 26, 2018

Always be yourself, otherwise they may be attracted to the facade and not who you really are. You will then either have to keep up the facade permanently, which will not be possible, or run the risk of them breaking up with you when they realise the truth. If they do not like you for who you are then it simply is not meant to be. I find insecurity a huge turn-off. A woman who is comfortable in her own skin is always far more attractive.

Nomad Level 6 Mar 26, 2018

@Blindbird I think you misunderstand what I was getting at here. There is a world of difference between acknowledging one's own flaws but being comfortable with them, and acknowledging them but being insecure and paranoid about them.

I have dated girls who were insecure about their looks and constantly wanted reassurance about them, to the point it became an issue. Insecurities can lead to jealously and possessiveness, which are not attractive personality traits. I have found that women in their 30s are less prone to this than girls in their 20s, as they have grown comfortable in their own skin and as we all know, confidence is sexy.

I am actually one of the most self-reflective people I know. I have identified and acknowledged all of my shortcomings and actively try to improve upon those that can be improved upon, and the ones that cannot be improved I am comfortable with and I simply ensure others are not effected by them. If more people would/could do likewise the world would be a better place, with less ego getting in the way and screwing things up.

If who they are is a jerk, then no, I'm not attracted. If who they are is interesting and funny, then yes.

I'd say if you are trying to trick them then not being yourself is a good idea. Just remember, they might be trying to trick you also. If that is the case then the whole date is a two person play, and you can save money by not having to buy theatre tickets

Do not try to create an impression that you later find a strain to maintain. There is a lot to be said for just being yourself. All relationships begin somewhere and in the course of time unstated and sometimes unrealistic expectations come to light. I wouldn't worry about it for the simple reason that if it is not this one then sooner or later there will be another one.

Right..I just had a quick experience with something concerning the heart of your question- as far as I understand it, anyway...love at first sight- really! because his dick doesn't work- but, found out that he is an alcoholic. I am a recovering addict ( I shall fill the hole in my brain forever..shopping, fucking, complaining, eating...) we are the same age, come from the same area- yet our differences are stunning. I have cancer and I take care of myself- he doesn't have cancer but he's a ticking timebomb for diabetes and hypertension (hot blooded portugee) here's the rub: I don't want to change him- but, I want to support him taking better care of himself. he says, 'I like who I am..." well, shit. what can you say? besides you are delusional, lol. so, if i'm making any sense, then i've gotten across the reality of a new attraction: more will be revealed. regarding your acting better than you truly are? chicks just first want to know if your dick is big and if you are butch and secretly submissive..handy man and good communicator, ya know? so, act like you are better than what? what are YOU there for?

I act like myself on the first date.

I try to be genuine, but also maybe a lite version of myself. That first date is all about learning, gauging, seeing if personalities match, if there is a spark. As comfortability sets in I become a little less guarded and more apt to just be my whole self more freely.

You should be who you are. Someone who doesn't like who you are is someone who you won't get along with. If you fake being someone else, you will spend a lot of time with someone who you ultimately won't get along with. That's a waste when you could be spending that time finding a good match.

That being said, we should all try to be better people, as HoaryMarmot says below.

I'm just me. That's the way it is. I'm not sure if it helps me in dating but it helps me as a person, and helps me in dealing with others. If you are black I don't "talk your language" and do your handshake. Again, I'm just me. I'm this way with all people of every race and color. Once in Texas I took a new friend of mine with me as I went to see a family of black people I knew. He embarrassed me and them. As we left the hostess of the house told me at the door "you know you are welcome here any time but don't ever bring that son of a bitch back here again." It was good advice as my ignorant white friend had already went on towards the car.

Just be yourself. It's the best advice I can give.

Great answer!

I might dress up a little for a date, but that's because with my work, I usually run around in yoga clothes all day. That said, I might still wear matching yoga suits on a date. I probably put on makeup a couple times per year. Jewelry? I'm not quite sure where it even is.

I don't have a filter, and I know it.

I like you. Wanna be friends? ?

@Blizzard, we'll see how long you can stand the weird.

@TaraMarshall weird is my home planet!

@Blizzard, maybe I should have said weirdest... You'll understand later.

My modus operandi is to begin as I mean to go on.

Always be who you are. If the other person doesn’t like you scrape your shoes and move on.

I prefer people who are open and honest. If they have something to say and they won't say it for fear of hurting my feelings then I don't want to know them, honesty is the most attractive trait in anyone and that is what I look for.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43641
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.