Agnostic.com

44 15

If Jesus died for my sins, why am I not allowed to sin? If Jesus died for my sins, and I don't sin, did Jesus die for nothing?

RundioII 5 Nov 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's a safe bet that you have sinned, even if you discount original sin. You don't have to do the deed - only to think the thought. There are different degrees of sin, of course. But thinking impure thoughts is a sin. Admiring those boobs walking by? Sin. Wishing you had that fast car your neighbor has? Sin. Shouting "JESUS!" when startled? Sin. Wet dream? Sin. Ate too much? Sin. Premarital sex? Big sin. Wearing a tank top to show off your muscles? Sin. Hollered and gave someone the finger in traffic? Sin.
You ARE allowed to sin, their god has set it up so you have to, just to live. You just then have to be sorry about it, grovel, and thank Jesus for washing your sins away.

The real question is was Jesus made up or imagined by early people that wanted to control other people? Jesus did not exist..

If Jesus was real, and things depended on your sinning, then I think he would have died for nothing.

Ummmmm, there never was a "Jesus" (Romans were meticulous record keepers) and what exactly is this "sin" you are worried about???!?

Makes no sense

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 22, 2020

I always thought it was a moral metaphor

ukuwi Level 3 Nov 12, 2019

It is very fair question, a very important question but my friend, asking questions is not allowed in religion.

I am a sinner but I thrive as I sin more. Sinning is just natural and human. Sinning also gives you pleasure, instant gratification. So how can it be bad?

Right. Keep having fun.

zesty Level 7 Mar 3, 2019

I think he only died for the original sin of Adam eating the apple so if you sin mate it is hell for you or if they were just teeny weeny sins you may get of with a few millennia in purgatory.

Poor guy Jesus... If only he knew what people are going to do in his name!

Jesus needs to die for our sins again. It's been a couple thousand years after all. There's a lot more people with a lot more sins to atone for. Get some wood and some nails and a couple of hard hitting Jews and lets nail this guy up again.

I need to be saved.

I think he died because until then, no one could get into heaven. They had to wait and the line was long, even by heavenly standards. God realized that unless he did something, no one could get into heaven so after conferring with his angelic board of directors, he sent his son to die so the gates of heaven could open up and let people in. At least that is how I sort of remember being told in religion class.

I think Jesus didnt die for anybody's sins, he set an example for godly life, he was a good PR guy for god.

They have this cute explanation that sin, like some sort of gene, is passed through the father, hence a virgin birth, Jesus was not born with the sin gene. So you don't have to commit a sin, it is part of your body.

The question is, how does jesus death get rid of this sin gene and why did God create it in the first place? or maybe it was in the forbidden fruit and once adam ate it, well all hell broke loose.

Great question. If Jesus’s death actually happened it wasn’t for that purpose as the sin story makes no sense.

You sin too much.

I think I don't sin enough...

Or maybe, the concept of sin is meaningless to an Atheist.

It doesn't matter if you, personally, don't sin. It's a matter of the whole congregation's sins.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4370
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.