Agnostic.com

12 3

Mixed feelings on new company holiday

The company I work for has decided that it will observe a new company holiday on Good Friday. I think that is an interesting choice. We do business worldwide, and not everyone observes the Christian holidays. I suspect it has more to do with the markets being closed than any religious observance.

Does your place of work observe “holy” days as days off? Besides Christmas, I assume most companies observe Christmas Day off.

SteveB 7 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In Australia there are eight national public holidays, then every state has at least two more. So the religious ones are Good Friday, Easter Monday, Christmas Day and (though this is more about the fact we like our holidays) Boxing Day, then there is New year's Day, Australia Day, Anzac Day and Queen's Birthday (date of this one varies between states). Victoria even has a public holiday for a horse race and another on for the football grand final, while Tasmania reckons if you are going to have a long weekend for Easter let's do it properly and throw in the Tuesday as well.

Kimba Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

Where I work closes 4 days a year - Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Years Day and Fourth of July. I assume they chose those days because of difficulty finding enough patients to fill available appointment times.

It's a day off, who cares why? You won't explode if you participate.
Carpe diem mate.

The stock market is closed on Good Friday. If you work for a financial services firm than you might get the day off.

Make the most of it mate

I’m hoping I’ll get it off. I don’t care why I get a day off with pay, I hate working.

Where I worked previously, there were no religious holidays on the company calendar, but they gave everyone a floating holiday, which you couldn't carry forward and was distinct from vacation time, for anyone who wanted to take off some particular day. Lots of people used it for Good Friday. I used it for the beginning of the NCAA basketball tournament, the closest thing I get to a religious experience anymore.

Every company I've ever worked for takes off New Years. It's only a new year if you following the Christian calendar.

Years ago I applied for a job that happened to be at a Jewish-run company, and they had every single Jewish holiday off (and there were a lot), and they got off early every Friday, too, for the Sabbath. I think they were also off on Christmas only because everything else was closed and they had many non-Jewish employees who would take the day off anyway.

Do you have a lot of Catholics who work there? Isn't Good Friday for Catholics? Excuse my ignorance on the subject.

I would think it applies to all Christians

Our company is careful to avoid religious preferences. Years ago, Good Friday was dropped in favor of a more secular President's Day (in February).

Zster Level 8 Mar 26, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43784
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.