Agnostic.com

17 32

LINK Food truck converted into mobile shower unit for Mississippi homeless

This is the time of year I look for ideas and inspiration for the New Year. This is such a wonderful story. 💜💜💜

SeaGreenEyez 9 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nobody should have to sneak under a garden hose to stay clean and there should be free laundry at the food stamp office

The US Army has Shower Trucks so the men can take showers in the field. Google it...

I see this good, giving back dignity to those people in need, as humbling. The greatest part of all of this, it's without religious bargaining. Well done to those who put the love for humanity first.

A European Union report similarly found “an alarming increase in punitive, coercive and repressive measures to expel homeless people from public space” that function “to minimise the visibility of people experiencing homelessness” (FEANTSA 2013:6). [onlinelibrary.wiley.com]

So we congratulate ourselves on giving them the opportunity to take a shower. Go 'Murica. Go nanny state.

She does it on her own. It's just kindness. There's no "state". Or did you not read it?

Great article!

Carey Level 5 Dec 27, 2019

I say we use garbage trucks as mobile "shower units" for Rich people! They stink something awful!

It's always good to see someone doing something in the cause of the greater good.

Great idea; thanks for sharing

CS60 Level 7 Dec 27, 2019

Fantastic and fabulous to hear.

We have one operating here in central Minnesota. I think it's an excellent idea.

There's an outfit here in Denver that provides free mobile laundry services for the homeless and recently started mobile showers as well. Very important for helping folks get back on their feet.

[denverite.com]

We are doing this in the Bay Area (California) too. The unit has two shower rooms and a clothes washer and dryer too.

Its a fine line between creating a permanent underclass and "helping"

@SeaGreenEyez im surprised you have such a black and white viewpoint

Catastrophic Medical Bills are the leading cause of bankruptcy/people losing their homes in this country.....no homeless person unless clean & kempt can get a job doing anything. Are you suggesting leaving them jobless, dirty & unkempt is the final punishment for contracting cancer? What Are you saying, exactly?

@SeaGreenEyez no, you assumed that my disagreement/questions/skepticism meant i took a predefined political stance. A binary, black/white, love/hate, viewpoint. I don't think that homesless people deserve to suffer and i don't deny what @AnneWimsey says. The people who climb out of being homeless need lots of social supports, and hygeine is just a start. Im far more concerned about propsed concentration camp style solutions. Trump et al isnt the only one who has propsed "solutions" that are "for their own good".
[abc7.com]

The feel good stories that fool people into thinking "we're helping the little people by letting them bathe" can allow more of tax payning worker bees, to further marginalize an incredibly vulnerable and mostly helpless population. Bathing is nice, but the "solutions to homelessness" are focusing more and more on things like better tent camps, more walled off tiny home villages, even allowing the homeless to even get their hygeine needs met in place. There's still the american bootstrap belief that if the parental upper class just gives them a few tools and call it help, while denying the proven fact that gumption has very little to do with economic stability.

@Burner I understand your argument but I think your framework leads you to miss what I see as the central point. It's not about being "feel good" or giving people an excuse to ignore a larger problem. It's about promoting simple kindness and humanity. I support policies and services that help people out of poverty. But I also give money to beggars. In the end it's about simple kindness and humanity. And I find the article inspiring.
So perhaps you didn't mean to be a troll but it did sound like it.

True .....official unemployment keeps people homeless and zero people can afford a home on minimum wage

What a wonderful idea...many of us are just a few checks away from homelessness. BE KIND.

Truth

I’d hate to have to put back on dirty clothes after a shower. Sounds like a laundry solution is in the works.

Awesome

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 26, 2019

And mobile vehicles that have a washer & dryer

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:442666
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.