Agnostic.com

22 3

What do you think the world will be like in a million years' time?

Will humans still be here? Will we have sorted things out and built a utopia or will be hanging onto existence on a planet that can barely support life? Will we still exist, but elsewhere in the universe? Will there be equality for all, or will inequality get worse? If humans still exist, will there still be religion or will we have finally grown out of it?

My guess: humans will be extinct and the world will be run by highly-evolved rats, cats and Strandbeest.

Jnei 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Keith Richards releases his 75th album, does no interviews and doesn't tour.

Devoid of humans, guaranteed.

Ever seen a picture of Venus?

We will be lucky to be here in 50 years the way we are breeding and raping the fuck out of natural habitat.

The solution to overpopulation is development and education.

Here are some points from "Its Ok To Be Smart" educational YouTuber, Joe Hanson:

"...The reality for most of history was that many children would die before adulthood. So you better have plenty.
But beginning in the 1700s, advances in agriculture and transportation meant fewer people starved.
Eventually people caught on that most of their kids are going to survive. And as education and opportunities for women improve, families started having fewer children. And population growth slowed. Eventually when births and death rates remain low, populations level off, and become stable. Or even start shrinking.
It took the UK 95 years to halve birth rates. While Brazil did it in 26. And Iran just 10. Today birthrates are falling almost everywhere. The less time a country spends in times of rapid growth, the quicker Earth population stops increasing. It's unlikely the 12 billionth human will ever be born..."

Overpopulation will be a problem. The faster 3rd world countries develop, the less of a problem overpopulation will be.

(Hahaha! Sorry to follow you here, but I've been trying to present data on overpopulation and the well-known solutions all over this site ever since I joined.)

I partly agree with your theory but there are plenty of things making us not stop breeding so much. look at religions against each other. can you imagine jews asking Muslims not to breed so much. people on benefits breed like flies because they know their kids will be paid for and they won't have to work. the rich have more because they can afford it. the very poor have more for the reasons you mentioned @SamKerry. people who have been through tornadoes taking away all there electric have more children. The solution is to have fewer children.

@LeighShelton "The solution is to have fewer children" - agreed. And that's been shown to be the case as countries develop their standard of living and education level.

Do you think that developments to the standard of living and general education can address or minimise the negative effects of differing ideologies, war and catastrophes?

An Chinese delegate was interviewed in our town-hall-format question and answer TV show a few years ago. I don't exactly remember what the question was. But it had something to do with how the Chinese can justify their semi-corporatised semi-dicatator Communist government. The delegate's answer was thought-provoking, for me, at least. He said: "Regardless of what we [the West] thought about their [the Chinese] government, they [the Chinese] have managed to lift millions of their people from poverty to billionaires."

Interesting perspective, no?

I agree with you as you should agree with me. the common denominator is too many humans for many reasons, mainly being by nature fucking without a condom etc.

@LeighShelton when I was in china in the eighties they were limited ot two children and it seems to have worked well for them.

exactly @jacpod thank you

If humans die off, maybe nature will find a way to recover from the damage we have done.

Earth will be 1 milion years older and we will be on Windows999999.3, but XP is still better.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

Do you reckon iPhones will have batteries that last a whole day by then?

@Jnei My 100% accurate Nostradamus future vision android app reveals all IPhones will require the user to turn a crank, called iSpins by January 31, 1,002,018. Android Galaxy will actually be the Milky Way by then, and all fetuses will be implanted with cellphone tech 5 minutes after conception. Smoke them, if you have them.

It will be warmer. If climate change doesn't kill life on Earth, and we survive, automatons will do all the work, including thinking. We will be pets. There will be a Dyson Swarm around the Sun, and the human population of the Solar system will be a trillion or more.

See youtube videos by Issac Arthur, the Outward Bound Series, Arcologies, and Ecumenopolises.

During our comparatively short history on this earth, we have done an immense destruction to her, to our environment and to other creatures, including to ourselves. If only we actually learned from the history, but we didn't and don't. So, looking back, the future seems grim. It's possible we may colonize another planet, but we'll be sending the same DNA there. Our still being around in another million years hangs on us waking up and finally smelling the coffee.

very cloudy at best

I haven't actually considered that. I have a much shorter term focus. I'm most concerned about the next 40 years, I figure that is more than I have left.

It will be the McDonald's of the galaxy. Folks will stop in for a quick burger, fries, and a medium drink and be on their way.

My new favourite answer! 😀

@Jnei Thank you.

Humans will probably have evolved into an entirely different species by that time. But it's more likely that humans will have run their course. The Earth will probably have experienced several catastrophic events, by then, making it possible that life on Earth is no longer possible.

I'll be dead, you'll be dead. Even if we were downloaded, I doubt our databases and servers will be around in a million years.

H. sapiens will be extinct. There might be a new species of Homo, but I highly doubt it.

Don't know- don't care-won't be around.

Good answer 🙂

I think the humans will be gone long before then. We're doing a pretty good job of destroying natural habitat and other species for our own greed.

The world will recover without us. When you remove humans from an area like, say, Chernobyl, nature copes pretty well, but even nature can't restore all the species that we are responsible for destroying.

Equality? Yes we'll all be equal. They're all dead Dave. Everybody's dead. All of them. They're dead.

A dry barron land with no life as it creeps closer to the Sun.

I'm pretty sure we will be gone and the cockroaches will rule the earth.

I know FOR certain that I'll be gone. More than that is speculation. I won't be in a better place, I won't be anywhere but dead.

… And what about the apes?

@PappyOnWings the apes will evolve and acquire the power of speech. And they'll end up being just like us. I saw it in a movie, once?

@farmboy2017 it's depressing, but I do have to agree that they'll end up just like us.

what , the trump family ?

No life at all, we are putting the Earth into the Venus syndrome by butning all of the fossil fuels. It could happen within the next 100 to 500 years.

After we've passed thru the Soylent Green scenario I don't think it will matter.

What is the change in the Earth, such as geologically, each million years?

Gone with the human race not even a memory.

A dry barron land with no life as it creeps closer to the Sun.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44333
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.