Agnostic.com

15 16

"I'm not sure I like parenthood," Terry said. What about you?

Apart from her teen years, we nearly cracked when Claire was a week old.

We gazed down at our beautiful girl, soft as a velvet mouse. Claire just took an enormous dump that went up her back and down her legs.

"It's even on her hat!" Terry gasped. He tried an ineffectual swipe with a wipe. "I'm not sure I like parenthood."

I laughed and undressed. Together we cleaned her with warm water in the bathtub. It took four hands. We were that inexperienced.

Once we got her fed and changed, I disinfected the tub. Round one. We all need a nap.

Diaper service

We had a diaper service with cloth diapers. Didn't want to add to the landfill. Infant-size cloth diapers didn't quite fit around Claire's little legs at first.

Also used washable wraps that tied over the diaper.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nice memories.

Yep, once you have them, your kind of committed,
Little late to back out now.

Quite a head of hair on Lil' Claire

twill Level 7 Dec 30, 2019

@twill

Claire has my thick hair.

Complicated question with a complicated answer.

I was completely taken by surprise by the fierce love I felt for my firstborn. It was completely unique in my relational experience. I felt no different about my son when he came some years later.

I will die loving them, and there are some wonderful memories. The rituals my daughter and I used to have where I would take her out to breakfast on Saturday mornings. The "grand tour" I took my son on after he finished high school, to London, Paris and Rome.

But ... that is not to say that I have found being a parent to be that rewarding, either. It is a thankless job. Kids can be selfish little walking buzz-kills. They do not necessarily shower you with appreciation for "all you've done". They can just as easily judge you for "all you've done wrong". And they don't necessarily grow out of it.

My son was dutiful and did all I ever asked of him that he was capable of doing. But he's gone now, a little over 3 years ago at the age of 30. My daughter has issues she can't really articulate, I suspect even to herself, but near as I can figure, she feels cheated of some idyllic childhood she imagined for herself because of her mother's schizophrenia, and I'm the handiest throat to choke. Fortunately my current wife, her unofficial stepmother, is also a motherless daughter, and so has been instrumental in somewhat normalizing our rather fraught relationship.

My daughter is 40 now and has children of her own, and I keep pecking away at improving our connection as best I know how. They are about 600 miles away and I am going to have to figure out a way to gently tell her when we visit this spring, that it's on her to put some effort into our relationship to balance mine. we've visited her many times over the years and flew the oldest grandson up to spend a few days with us, but she hasn't been to see us once, yet she's driven the same distance to Chicago to visit an old high school girlfriend pretty much every year. The highways, as they say, work in both directions. I will have to let go and let the relationship be what it wants to be I guess. It's getting harder for us to travel so much and we have a lot on our plate with my wife's 27 year old son, who is on the autism spectrum and having trouble launching.

Bottom line, my wife and I both agree that parenting isn't all it's cracked up to be ... but we keep being present for them to the extent they'll allow it.

I remember when it was my turn to get up in the middle of the night, slip my hand down to check if our first was wet. It turned out to be the first poop after nine months. It was quite an unwelcome surprise.

I've never been a parent, but I'm an uncle to 3.

Sorry your family did not prepare you for diapering....large Iowa families had new babies passed around alot so children of all ages earned their references to graduate to babysitting for money....I am 4th of 5 had dozens of cousins all ages ....next door neighbors helped out alot vice versa.....and what church did not have a "nursery" so parents could go drink grape juice eat crackers while babies were kept quiet away from geebush jeehobah ghostholes

I loved parenthood, up till the teen years. The level of hilarity and love was just full speed in those days. My sons were 5 years apart, and were always very close. They still are as grown men. We laid down a base of love, empathy and appreciation of nature that has carried them forward into adulthood. I miss those days!

You are not alone. Here is a song about Joseph and Mary, sung to the tune of "Oh Holy Night":

Oh holy crap! Jesus just pooped his diaper,
And he has spread it all over his face.
He's smearing it all over the manger,
It smells so bad, it's a holy disgrace!

Oh holy crap, Oh holy, holy crap!
We have to clean up all this holy mess.
Shepherds are coming, followed by three wise men.
Oh crap, holy crap. It is filling us with stress.
Oh crap! Oh, oh holy crap! Oh holy crap!

@BestWithoutGods

Love your sense of humor. Hilarious!

I remember walking in to check on my cousin for my aunt and standing in the doorway in shock. It was everywhere, I called out to her to come in a panic. He was her fourth child so she just strolled on in like it was an everyday event. I ran outside to throw up (I was 6) This song reminded me of that.

I ardently wish I had gotten the chance. Hell I'd do it now if the steps to get pregnant weren't ridiculous expensive. I'm trying to adopt out of foster care, but if you want to adopt a child instead of a teen, you'd better be a postcard christian couple with a stay at home mom. As a single woman they'll only ever let me adopt an older teen. Which was actually my plan for my 50's, just adopt one after the other as I get them sent out into the world. Give them help starting life as adults, and college, and a place to call home for the holidays and someone to call for advice etc. But before then I wanted at least a couple kid years. I love kids, heck I love teenager as well. But I wanted a few years of silly and kids songs and tiny hands breaking things and chaos. I'm slowly letting that dream die, but it tears me up.

"...the steps to get pregnant weren't ridiculous expensive" ?

@skado Sperm is super expensive all on its own. Any kind of artificial insemination will break the bank. Sleeping with endless rando's until pregnant ensure that you'll end up dealing with a man you barely know for the next 18 years and possibly an STD.

@CommonHuman
Interesting. Sure seems like thoughtful individuals could come up with some workable compromise. Makes me wonder if there might be social websites based on this need? I haven't looked recently, but I can't imagine there aren't.

@skado There are, but it is made more difficult the more rural you are. Plus the legal side of it gets super murky. Plus you never know if you're getting more than sperm, never know if there's an STD involved.

@CommonHuman
I thought there were tests for that.

@CommonHuman I had a friend who agreed to father my children if I didn't find a partner. In hindsight, he would have been better than my ex turned out to be.

Yes, parenthood has its trying moments. It also has some very sweet, loving moments. I like to remember the good times. 🙂

They are a lot of work, no doubt about that. Back in the day, my hopes and wishes were so different than what I do get to experience today with my grownups. It's a life time sentence, that much I know....... 🙂

The poo thing wasn't a problem for me. The ritual of getting baby to go to sleep at night is my biggest memory. He was determined that I wasn't going to get any peace.

There are so many times when I feel like I dodged a bullet by
"missing out" on parenthood.

Stories like that one, are definitely part of those times.

No one female or male should be urged to breed....that's why PLANNED PARENTHOOD is such a great name for sexual health services

@Larry68Feminist When I was still in my 20s, a friend's father told me that since I was an educated woman, I had a moral obligation to have children.
I thought it was a really fucked up thing to tell someone.

At the time, I felt certain that I never wanted to have children.
Years later, I tried, but it wasn't meant to be.
I honestly believe my early instincts were correct all along.
I'm glad I have no offspring.

@KKGator risking women's lives to become pregnant is both ignorant and evil.... millions of women suffer gestational onset diabetes..
...perforations of a uterus sepsis and ectopic pregnancy is a major global cause of death....the Vatican should be seized and liquidated for murdering 6 million women annually via their WHO veto denying life saving abortions and deadly disease preventing condoms to those dead women

@Larry68Feminist Pregnancy and childbirth are the most dangerous times of any woman's life.

I agree about the rcc. They should have every asset seized and be sued into extinction.

very unique memory ,you are have

@RoyMillar

It wasn't all that rare. Infant-size cloth diapers didn't fit around newborn Claire's legs at first.

We used a diaper service with cloth diapers. Didn't want to add to the landfill.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:443747
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.