Agnostic.com

95 7

Does god exist?

What is god? How do we define god? Just because we can’t see it does that mean it does not exist?

JpGee 4 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

95 comments (76 - 95)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As far as I am concerned, no.

"existence" per se requires "objective evidence" for which we have none, but that does not mean "not real"

It depends on how the term god is defined. If you define it by an energy that is cohesive and more powerful than all the other energies then god must exist IMO. That seems to match science, reason, philosophy and common sense. Some energies must be stronger than others, therefore there must be a strongest or a group of strongest that would constitute god. If you define him as an old man in the sky then your off your rocker...

God exists in the minds of those who believe he does, I'm keeping my options open on that one!

PatP Level 3 Feb 28, 2020

I don't understand your question. WHAT is this gawd sound about ? How would any Atheist define a gibberish alleged word ? Is this a title ? A plural word like deer ? Is this a verb ? I see gravity in action observing planets moons our star and falling objects but I have never observed your alleged thing nor read a rational person define the alleged IT .....???

I don't know... but Instant Karma gave me a Clue. Watch the video.
[boingboing.net]

Probably not.

No. Gods only are real in D&D settings, at least those gods show up and grant you actual magic spells and stuff.

Nobody knows IF there is some 'thing' we could plausibly refer to as 'god.'
We CAN'T define it. There are no reference points.
We DON'T KNOW if we can see it or not, because we have no idea what, or IF, it exists.

no, gods yes. God no

But of course we must have a definition of what God is and how God is defined before we can answer whether or not God exists. The parameters of who and what God(s) are has varied quite a bit between cultures.

I don't know.

Homer referred to the "Chimera", "a thing of immortal make, not human, lion-fronted and snake behind, a goat in the middle...Just because we can’t see it does that mean it does not exist?

No.
Don’t care. Don’t care again. Yes, that’s exactly what that means.

i'm assuming you mean "god" in the classic sense... eternal being, creator of everything... the easy answer is that there is zero evidence of an intellectual being as the singular source of the universe.. it explains why we can't find this god, because it doesn't exist... it's easy to understand how the concept came in to being... humans, many thousands of years ago, made up the being(s) to explain that which they could not explain... everything from the sun to earthquakes to epilepsy... over the centuries, science has proven the molecular explanation for each of these things, thus continually chipping away at the reason to use "god" to explain that which we don't currently understand.. and, it's reasonable to believe that over the span of the next 1000 years, virtually everything else we don't understand, will be explained without the need for "god" as an answer..

There is a higher, more genuine aspect to reality than that in which we live. Our sense impressions are merely icons or symbols of ultimate reality beyond. Ultimate reality is not some supernatural woo stuff—what is ghostly and ephemeral is the world of our senses—the world that many people take for granted and assume to be all there is.

We can not directly perceive or understand ultimate reality. At that level questions about time, place, creation, afterlife and so forth have no meaning. It is utterly ridiculous to argue about something when we have no idea of what we are talking about. To give ultimate reality some label, such as “God” is not helpful at all.

Belief or disbelief in ultimate reality is totally inappropriate. The only rational response IMO is shock and awe, reverence and bewilderment. Bewilderment because not only do we not understand reality—we have no idea what we ourselves are. I suspect we are conscious awareness itself, but the nature of conscious awareness is a total inexplicable mystery.

The god concept is different for everyone. God may be a rock. In this case the rock may well exist. The Christian god CAN NOT EXIST as there are conflicting writings about gods attributes in the Bible.
There are many other gos such as the god that can not be concieved by man. This god CAN NOT EXIST. The reason for this is that if that was the case then no one could tell us anything about said god as it can not be concieved. If such a god did exist it would not matter if it did as it has no affect on us.

There is no god proffered my religion that does exist as they all claim thst their gods do stuff without any evidence. If there is no evidence for a god being real then it by definition is not real.

We can not see air but we know it exist and can prove it. Just because you can not see the magical, undetectable, unicorn that controls the universe, and lives in my butt, does that mean it does not exist? Again in this case there is no reason to bother wondering about my unicorn as it has no affect on anyones lives and effectively does not exist.

I don't think its about a we when it comes to that, i think its about you, you may find some people who fairly agree with you on some things. Maybe its time to look in a different place

Yup

The God you define may be invisible like the non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God is not seen everywhere by everyone at all times.

However, if you create a logical visible God, then you can know what that God is, see it and know how it is defined.

I created a God that does exist and you can see one. As it is well accepted and verfied by biblical text that man created God, I become a man to create a God. The God I created I call taco God. Taco God is any person that has eaten a taco. Tacos are real, people are real and people really eat tacos. Go to your local taco eatery and watch for a person to eat a taco. Once you have seen a person eat a taco you then know a taco God does infact exist because the person completed the task required to be a taco God.

"Taco God", this label or title can be used in as plural or for many taco eaters. Example: 1000 scientist that has all eaten at least one in their life get together design and build a space ship. Then it can be simply said, Taco God built a space ship because all those 1000 scientists had eaten a taco.

Word Level 8 Jan 1, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:444873
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.