Agnostic.com

14 1

Right handed, Left handed, or Ambidextrous?

Are you right handed, left handed, or ambidextrous?

Bonus Points: How has it affected your perspective on life?

• 24 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 0 votes
AstralSmoke 8 Nov 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Was left handed but due to crazy teachers beliefs that left handedness was evil I had to learn to use my right hand

That's really sad, but you're beyond that now and realize the value of your left!

Yeah I happy she did it now it's so useful

Left-handed from birth but can use both hands when doing some manual tasks, writing, typing, painting ( am an Artist btw,), etc, are done left-handed, the same using a knife and fork.
So often I wish that the world would take in a bit more notice that not EVERYONE is Right-Handed and make things just a bit easier for we Lefties.

I'm ambidextrous because of school. I grew up in the late 60's and teachers would force me to use my right hand. Of course, at home, I reverted to my left hand. On a funny side note; to this day I can only write on a chalkboard with my right hand, lol.

I am mostly right handed but there are many things that I can do just as well with my left.

An interesting statistic is that left handed people are about twice as likely to be gay (measured per capita).

I happen to be gay, but right handed.

The left hand is controlled by the right side of the brain which is supposed to be the "creative" side. This might add to the stereotupe of gay persons beign more "creative", but I think that persons in creative fields like art, music, acting or other entertainment fields end up living lives which dont' allow much tiuem for family. I think that gay people just more easily fit the demands of creative professions are have more time to spend pursuing creative endeavors, because gays generally don't have kids and the family demands tht go with them.

So there is a higher % of left-handed gays compared to the % found in the general population? Then it stands to reason that it's not just a stereotype that more gays predominately use the right side of their brains. I'm confused; hope you are too.

This explains a lot

I may not have explained things very well. Some things as I explaihed them seem contradictory. I think that although a larger per capita percentage of gay people seem to be right brain dominant, which is the side of ht brain related to creativity, I also think it is a still a pretty small difference, and that because gays have much fewer kids and families they can spend a great deal more time pursuing artistic careers than those who have mor efamily commitments and that this secondary reason is more influential as to why so many gays achieve success in artistic fields. I hope that clarifies things.

Has had no effect.

Are you sure? Your 'like' button isn't working for me. Thumbs up.

Let me change that: In a social context built for right-handers, it taught me that the world was not built specifically for me and that I was going to have to (1) adapt my behavior, and (2) modify my world so that it fitted me. So, it made me more prone to improvise.

Learning to improvise is a pretty important survival skill.

Lefty by birth, but like most left handers I do use the other often. I could not check 2 boxes. This was probably set up by a right hander???!!!

I did include ambidextrous and other. How many hands do you have?

Lefties and proud! Only 9-11% of people are left handed.

This book is amazing, Left Handed Turn Around the World. I seriously suggest it.

[amazon.com]

Being left handed has taught me to look at things differently than most people. We live in a Right Handed world. I’ve had to make my way and change my ways, but I’ve made it this far. Lol. I just do most stuff backwards from you.

It's funny that most assume I'm right handed. Being left handed, how would you have set up the question?

I'm both..but I would've been left handed if I didn't break my arm when I was 2.5...

I had a friend in elementary school who broke her right hand in the fourth grade. She learned to write with her left, but it was awkward and a bit blocky. When she regained the use of her right hand, she again wrote with her right hand, but it resembled how she had learned to write with her left. I thought it was a significant study.

I'm right-handed. But I successfully trained myself to use my left hand for mouse after a few days wrist pain caused by excessive mouse clicking. I think I should learn to do more things with my left hand.

all machines are made for righties so I have to adapt. writing with a fountain pen is very smudgy

Righty

I write left handed but throw a ball with my right .I use tools hammer screwdriver etc with my left hand

Righty tighty.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.