Agnostic.com

45 5

You're on a long flight next to a believer who wants to talk deeply about their faith/proselytize. What do you do?

• 6 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 21 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 15 votes
KingofHarts 7 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Politely deter them and explain I have been there but I am not anymore

I usually avoid conversation, but once I chatted for hours with an evangelical Christian who was a sex-positive educator. Since I’m a secular sex educator, we had some things in common. By checking my assumptions, I was able to listen and learn from her.

UUNJ Level 8 June 22, 2018

Parachute out of the plane. Or as Jack Nicholson once said, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

Intersting reading....many responders assume there are parachutes on-board. There are No parachutes on any commercial flights!

I would try to remind them of history but if that person gets too antagonistic and belligerent and refused to discuss rationally, I'd tell them to have a nice flight and ignore them.

Since I’m deaf without my processors for my cochlear Implant’s I’d just take them out and take a nap! Problem solved!

Really depends on the individual. Is any real conversation possible? Are they so far gone only satire & depravity will shut them up? Are they just so boring &redundant that a coma is preferable? Decisions, decisions!!!

I ask the flight attendance for earplugs.

I don't particularly like to talk to anyone on the plane, and especially not someone who felt compelled to proselytize. Stick in the earbuds or sleep.

Test the waters to see if they are open minded, then sure.

Tell him/her the plane is going to crash and we will need parashoot out, then hand them my backpack and open the door.

I would kindly inform them that it must be a conversation not a sermon... I hated that... Being preached at with no right to cry... BULLSHIT...

Ask the question "What could a '' and religion possibly have in common?"

I was stuck, in March on an 11 hour flight from China to Seattle next to a guy who looked like the Dalai Lama. That was the best part.

As the plane began backing away to taxi for take-off, he removed his leather, closed toed sandals. The stench was something from another dimension. My two adult kids were together in the next seats up. Daughter -in -law said later that she went to the restroom after we were aloft to check her armpits and crotch (I swear) just to 'make sure' it wasn't her!

Not the worst of it! For the following hour - two hours - as we're over Russia, he's 'breaking wind' about every fifteen to twenty minutes. It was an overnight flight, serving dinner and breakfast between points. Imagine now, will you, perusing a dinner menu with nostrils filled with aromas that would have made Limburger Cheese seem like a waft of fresh mountain air!

I'd have gleefully paid a hundred bucks for a seat next to a Jehovah's Witness!

Tales from the Dark Side, indeed!

Earbuds, or I tell them to shove it. If that doesn't work, I give them the devil horns, and tell them that my toaster tells me to eat homeless people.

Do not make eye contact or allow anyone to engage you in conversation on a long flight. I boarded in Atlanta for a flight to LAX late afternoon, not packed. The other young woman spoke as we deplaned, stating that she was a speaker for " The Forum ". It's kinda like EST, but faster. I patted myself on the back for being silent and self absorbed. A good friend recommended that I try The Forum out years earlier. I was bouncing around from ending a 22 year marriage at the time, so I thought " What could it hurt? " It was 3 days in a hotel on the East coast of FL when I live on the W coast, but OK. It turned out to be a belief system without a god. They wrapped their presentation up with a lie, AND took 3 days to say something that could have been said in 15 minutes. I was so pissed at my friends I did not speak to them at all for 2 years.

I remember EST back in the '80's. I still have old contacts, I can't really say friends, that 'practice'. would have thought they'd have grown out of it by now. I guess for some they need some kind of belief, even if not a 'god' to feel superior & in the know.

It really depends on my mood. I'll most likely ignore them. I am sick and tired of faith speeches.

Monad Level 4 Apr 3, 2018

Engage in conversation/discussion. I like discussing beliefs.

I don't fly. We live in a country where the low bid gets the contract.

I'd make my own one up and argue that it's better than theirs 🙂

Ask the fight attendent for a parashoot. Failing that have fun debunking everything they say.

If they would nto be quiet, I'd chang eseats if I could.

If they persisted,and wanted to talk religion, I might go into why7 religion ins't really true. If the flight were long enough I'd realy do my beswt to shake their faith up. I mean if they are not going to be polite and insist on beign rude, i can be rude too.

Debate ?

It would depend on the circumstances. If we accidentally got on the subject and the person began preaching, I'd probably just act bored, nod distractedly, yawn, then say something about I'm going to take a nap now.

Then I'd stop interacting with them, and ignore them if they start up later. If I only react positively when they leave me alone, or stick to normal conversation, and ignore them when they preach, it trains them to do what I want.

It is important to try and present them with another point of view. They seldom have a clue.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.