Agnostic.com

43 22

Do you find Youtube videos more helpful than instruction manuals?

Yesterday I could not get my new, computerized, Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine to work. The LED screen showed a bobbin icon.

To find out what this means, I tried Google searches. Looked up LED icons in the manual and all it said was "bobbin." Not helpful.

I carefully read the instruction manual. Re-threaded the machine. Re-wound the bobbin, wasting thread. Aauugh!

Aggravated, I returned to a Singer Youtube beginner instruction video for my sewing machine. As a visual/kinesthetic learner, it was great to see a woman demonstrate the steps. After winding the bobbin, she said while demonstrating:

"Now firmly push the empty bobbin spindle all the way to the left."

That was the key. After I did that, the sewing machine worked.

The instruction manual did not mention this. I wrote it in the manual.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Youtube is a good resource unless you're trying to repair a riding lawnmower and don't know the model. I finally found a video that approximated my lawnmower and fixed it.

Usually I lose the manual. It's just much easier to look it up on youtube.

Some instruction manuals are excellent but lots leave the important stuff out or the little things that may be obvious to the writer but baffling initially to the person doing it,Like most guys I am highly visual and watching some of the you tube instructions puts everything into place even though it may not be saaid but just thru the actions of the person ,but i always read the manual first.

It depends on the complexity of the subject matter. In cases where seeing, rather than picts or text is better to show the task/item at hand, then video. If I can easily make sense of non video, I will usually go that route, though.

Zster Level 8 Jan 7, 2020

It’s hard to say as usually I can get by with the manual, but if it’s not enough, like you I’ll look up YouTube. For physical things, like pushbike repairs, I’m a big fan of YouTube 🙂
Glad you sussed the bobbin out 😊

It depends. But mostly, yes! I love you tube how to videos!

I use YouTube repair videos all the time.

Videos are so much easier to understand.

Deb57 Level 8 Jan 7, 2020

I use both to repair farm equipment. Most our tractors are way to old to have sensors. The one that does cost $300 to have a John Deere come out and tell me which sensor is the problem. I do everything possible including replacing parts before making that call.
John Deere and other manufacturers expressly forbids owners of newer tractors from their own repairs. Elizabeth Warren has made the right to repair a central plank in her ag proposal.

Generally speaking, yes they are more helpful.

Yes you get to see the whole thing unedited, whereas in an instruction manual you only get what the author remembers to tell you. Which is especially bad when they forget which bits were difficult for beginers. I remember years ago overhearing a man talking in the pub about his first computer. " How are you supposed to know that you press start to switch off, and that you have to empty the recycle bin. "

Yes, if you can find a good one, which is not a given. I had been trying to find a video on Excel VLookups, and I looked at several that lost me. I finally found one that really nailed it, but it took a while.

I would prefer written words, but sometimes all I can find is a video.

I buy lots of used items which often don’t come with a manual - youtube is great for these situations.
Right now I’m trying to figure out a 3D printer with the help of my good friend, youtube🙂

Yeah, I find the YT vids very helpful, it seems that when we can see the visuals of the written instructions in action it's become clear and understandable.

depends on who wrote the book? if they did their job well, i am likely not in need of you tube. alternately, it depends on who made the video. there are some instructional videos that are unwatchable or useless. it is helpful maybe to know it isn't me at that point? anyway, bad instruction manual wins in that case.

you tube in the face of lazy instructions is an awesome thing.

@larsatrg

You're right that some Youtube instruction videos are hilariously bad.

On Youtube, I watched a laconic, hapless Georgia guy try to replace a bicycle tire tube. High grass concealed what he was doing.

It didn't matter because he could not replace the tire tube. He finally gave up.

Yes, I find YT instruction vids to be very helpful. I might use the manual to familiarize myself with terminology, but finding demonstration vids are great.

Vids showing user experience saves me a huge amount of time on the learning curve. That, and YT on my phone makes that knowledge portable.

Truly amazing times in which we live.

Yes very helpful

Sometimes. there are many usefull things. I used some of them and decided to sgare with it from here where you can see the sample of purposes. Your documents and personal information will be kept in the strictest confidence. They can provide a higher level of security than other remittance companies while translating. So I think it would good enough for traslating needs if you have so. Well, when I need to save that one, who can help me with copy settings. If someone know, please.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:446891
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.