Agnostic.com

73 10

Can a guy have a female best friend and sex never enter the frame?

#sex
Gozer 4 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

73 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. Absolutely. I met a girl maybe 15 years ago at work who I really hit it off with. Not at all romantically, but we were inseparable for years. We used to go out bar hopping almost every night. We would often travel a hundred miles just to see a good band. She dated people. I dated people. We would hang out & talk about everything imaginable until all hours of the night. Eventually she ended up meeting the love of her life & actually settled down & got married. I still always tease her about how she's been domesticated. If only he knew the things I know about her past. 2 years ago, when I was getting ready to move away, I ended up hiring her hubby to take over my old job. He's still there & thriving. I still keep up with them both regularly. In all that time, we never even so much as kissed. It's always been completely platonic. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, I sure hope so! Because, it helps in all kinds of ways in our life to have opposite sex, best friends! One human being cannot give to us all the things that nurtures and supports us. It makes life so much fuller to have all kinds of friends!

Of course that's possible. It can work both ways.

Yes. The two best working relationships I have ever had (so far) was with two different women. In both cases we were like a hive mind - we even finished each others sentences. Needless to say, rumour was rife around the office that we were having affairs. Nothing further from the truth. We're still great mates, and one of them has a devoted boyfriend and the other is happily married with two kids. Frankly, sex would have ruined everything.

Well I can only speak from the female side but I've got tons of male friends I have zero sexual desire with, but then I'm sorta asexual

Yes, I have had a close female friend for 46 years, we are of a similar age, met on holidays each year from when I was 12, lost contact at 16, but we ended up working together when I was about 22 and have stayed very close friends. She and her husband visit me each year, we have both been married divorced and had numerous partners, but we have never been anything but friends. She is very attractive, but we are just friends. My kids call her Aunty, they have all their lives, yet they don't call my brother and his wife Uncle and Aunty.

Absolutely. One of my best guy friends and I went to bed together nude while we were both single to see what would happen. We both got a good night's sleep, and still had no interest in each other in the morning. Zero chemistry, just good friends.

I expect this will depend partly on whether there is any physical attraction involved. If you are physically attracted to them then it will be difficult. If you are not physically attracted to them (or if they are not attracted to you) then it should be far easier. If the guy was gay and / or the female BF was a lesbian then this would probably be a non-issue. I expect being asexual would be likewise.

It would also depend on whether there are other people involved. If either you and / or they are with someone else then this will make it easier, as you can mentally put them in the 'unavailable' category. If on the other hand you get on great, and there is a mutual physical attraction - and both of you are single, then this would be pretty difficult, since the obvious question swirling around your head would be 'why not get together?'

Nomad Level 6 Mar 28, 2018

I have one but guys have a very low criteria for sex. We COULD bang! However it's not nessesary.

LOL

Isn't that like asking "can cats and dogs get along without mating". The answer is obvious. Oy vey.

I have one but I don't fancy her or vice verse

I have several really good female friends where sex isn’t on the table. It just isn’t an issue. I’m good at boundaries, lol.

Yes. At different times in my life l have had a close female friend without sex coming into play.

Yes. I had a great friend in high school & into my 20s with a great guy. We are still friends. We told people we were cousins. We had good times together & with other friends.

Yes, my best friend in high school was male. He and I never had sex, and I honestly never thought of him in that way. He and I married different people within two months of one another, and drifted apart, because his wife did not like the fact that I am female. We see each other occasionally, and it is very awkward.

That is a loss...it is such a shame that some people think relationships are based on sexual attraction!

It was very hard at first. He wasn't even allowed to come to my wedding, which really hurt. I didn't see him for years until his sister invited us to her wedding. It was awkward and after I had gotten there I had wished I hadn't come. It really was like losing family.

Of course.

As long as no one physically attracted to one another. Friendliness will be miss interpreted as flirting.

So true!! especially for woman.. but I am friendly and if the guy misinterprets it as flirting.. that is his problem!

Well side

Of course it’s possible. I have men friends and have often thought about having sex with them. I would not want to destroy the friendship that I have and I wouldn’t want the friendship to escalate into a boyfriend girlfriend type situation because, I like Them as friends.

I tend to get along with women more than men. Some I've had relationships with, but not all--or even most--by any means.

Yup. I had a movie buddy - when we were both single.

Yes

I have had this relationship with a guy it worked for us as i was his best mate and he was spoken for - so you know where the boundaries are.

Yes. Trying to work on that possibility myself.

Yes, most of my friends have been male. I mean I don't think it will work for everyone, but it does for a lot of people. However, in some cases where there is a strong religious influence, it can be hard for some people to feel comfortable in that situation. Or when someone is addicted to sex it can become an issue. But again, not always

Byrd Level 7 Mar 28, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.