Agnostic.com

12 11

LINK International Olympic Committee prohibits kneeling, hand gestures

OK! This is fine. The Olympic committee has the right to do exactly this. Fuck any athlete that chooses to use their hard-earned platform for anything other than a medal that screams how their country picks winners and pumps millions into making them just that! 👍👍👍

(As for me? My "I'm boycotting" list has turned into the War and Peace of people, places, things, events I refuse to support. To each their own.)

SeaGreenEyez 9 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am with Mexico 1968 compensation to be paid for heroic truth telling against racist still 2day USA

I'm a bit ambivalent but have to think this is a bridge to far.

gearl Level 8 Jan 11, 2020

WTF...smh

Does this make it harder for an Olympian to declare that his god drove him on to win while others there had the same god? Maybe it means god is also a sportsman. IDK.

AND::::::::::::: it has been rumored they will be allowing TRANS-WOMEN to compete as REAL WOMEN. WTF!

Trans-mania is a virus. Making people become totally stupid, to the point of supporting the total denial of their daughters' rights. It is a mental illness.

You're a prime example of it..dimwit..

@SeaGreenEyez why are you on the fence..

@SeaGreenEyez MEN ARE NOT WOMEN!! No matter how many times they click their little heals.

Trans-mania: The most insidious type of misogyny. MEN get to do whatever they want.

WOMEN"S RIGHTS have been set back 50 years.

@SeaGreenEyez . . .Yes. We need to protect WOMEN's rights. The trans-loonies are all about controlling women. Pay attention. This is a very woke insanity. Don't bend over for this fascism.

The absolute vast majority of the athletes who train and/or for the Olympics live at or below the poverty level before, during, and after their Olympic participation.

The Olympic committee members make $Billions upon $Billions off of playing venues off one another, product contracts, endorsements, along with real estate developers, construction companies, politicians, and their contributors!

The Olympic’s like FIFA are nothing but overtly wealthy individuals governing and profiting off of non profit’s organization’s and corporations!

Olympic committee members, just like FIFA committee members are nothing more greedy power hungry Overpaid administrators!!!

Anyone recall this
Tommie Smith (center) and John Carlos (right) protest racism at the 1968 Olympic Games in Mexico City.
Jessie Owens Salutes army style in 1936 to offset the Nazi salutes and show the world he refused to capitulate to fascist rules.
Back then as I recall these were thought to be an heroic gestures, that's how it was taught to me in school anyway.

But no, seems today protesting injustice might offend the delicate feeling of poor little bigots and racists, so have to be forbidden.
This fucking do-gooder out of control idiotic shit is starting make me feel the world would not be worth pissing on if it was on fire...WHICH IT IS!

All the more reason to do it, and defy ALL authority.

@SeaGreenEyez as was Kaepernick btw...unless you're insinuating that him losing his job and having no chance of regaining it was a publicity stunt,I suggest you reread his statements about it..

Muhammad Ali, Tommie Smith, and John Carlos have long been heroes of mine. Colin Kaepernick has been added to that list.

All the more reason to protest any bloody thing they please.
I hope as many as wish to violate the IOC's prohibition.
Compete in your sport, win your medals, and protest your asses off.
The IOC can go kick rocks.
I hope every country participates in a mass protest during the opening ceremony.

Tell me "no", and watch me "go".
That's how I look at it.

If I had a t-shirt business, I'd be offering to print up protest shirts with anything
they wanted on them, for anyone who wanted one.
I love the idea of defying authority.
I'd be happy to help them if I could.

😀

@SeaGreenEyez I've always loved the Olympics, ever since I was little.
My earliest Olympic memory was Peggy Fleming winning gold in Grenoble, France.
I'd love to see more athletes protest whatever they feel they need to.

As for Ryan Lochte, he's always been a douchebag, and deserved far worse than just a 10-month suspension from the sport, and losing all his sponsors.
He still hasn't learned his lesson and is in training to compete this summer.
He's been doing a "redemption" thing, but still demonstrates that he's an idiot.
As far as I'm concerned, he's just a meathead with athletic talent.

"But the Olympics are no stranger to symbolic protest. Had the announced guidelines been in effect in 1968, for instance, the iconic raised fists of American sprinters John Carlos and Tommie Smith would have been prohibited." No one should forget that for this simple gesture both were banned for life from competition. They are now formally codifying what up to now has been an uneven application of the rules. When South Africa was banned, all SA athletes were banned, when Russia is banned, all her athletes get to compete.

When Tommie Smith tried to compete after his banishment, all athletes were told that if they competed in a track meet where tommie competed, they would be banished themselves.

That is some seriously fucked up, and repressive, bullshit.

While I don't want to start an argument, there's a couple of points here:

Number one, "free speech" is about government regulation of speech and expression. From the IOC website: "The IOC is a not-for-profit independent international organisation made up of volunteers." Basically, they get to set whatever rules they want, and if athletes want to be in the Olympics, they agree to it. I understand that many athletes come from oppressive regimes where they don't get to exercise free speech, but those athletes aren't going to be any more free at the Olympics.

Number two, I find it understandable that the IOC wants to keep the spotlight on the events and away from politics, especially in an American election year and with international tensions as they are. The majority of athletes undoubtedly have personal websites where they can explain in full what's on their mind.

I think the prohibition itself will bring attention to the controversy.

@SeaGreenEyez Okay, I'll be sure not to state any facts contrary to your opinions from now on.

Prior to this, I wasn't looking for an argument, just stating my point of view. Now, maybe a little, since you're reading my mind and telling me what I really mean. And I don't like that. At all.

Fascists...

Bureaucrats.

Also, I call Godwin's Law on you. 😀

An olympian is there to represent their country. An olympic event is not a time to protest anything. With every protest it could cause tension with other nations. The olympics is about bringing people together not creating rifts between them.

@SeaGreenEyez While that may have happened the olympics were indeed renewed in an effort to bring nations together. The purpose may be lost but the intent was good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:448276
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.