Agnostic.com

54 7

Why do most humans love a religion?

This question has been written about by numerous people including Michael Shermer, and the Four Horsemen extensively. However, as agnostics, do we have anything to add? I guess, whenever humans (or semi-humans) developed a frontal cortex and moved above animals, we also developed the propensity to believe in some kind of God. Perhaps, the first Gods were for things the ancients did not understand like the Sun, the wind, volcanoes, etc..

Grecio 7 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (51 - 54)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't believe "love religion" is the proper connotation for how humans interact with religion. Humans are indoctrinated, from birth, by their parents and society as to how feel, behave and worship. A large part of your denominational predispositions are based on your birth location and fledgling environment. It is ingrained by every aspect of your life as a child. By the time you are a pre-teen, you are thoroughly indoctrinated. As it is easier to exist within society, following those rules and mores, most remain within the normalcy that has been wrought because it is easier and simpler to do so. Especially as the majority they interact do exactly the same. It becomes more than a religion, it is social outlet as well. It's actually a heuristic, something they've done for so long, believed for so long, that their brain does not even have to contemplate when acting in the learned manner, it is a shortcut.

This is one of my favorite books regarding the biases: [chegg.com]

I completely agree with this explanation. Understanding human psychology is essential if we are ever going to understand this complicated world.

Yes , I have seen basic research that nails this down ; early man had "gods " that gave humans a complete picture of the world. As we evolved- our place in the world. When our
intellect asked y are we here- religions answered,,,and assuaged our other fears.

@BBJong A security blanket, as it were.

It is a social/clan bonding thing. Nothing more. To be around like minded people.

When someone close passes away, we feel loss and feel that we will miss them greatly. We morn the loss. We are afraid that we will never see them again. Does it really hurt anything to pretend that you will see them again in heaven, even thought we know that is not probably going to happen?

I think it can hurt to pretend you will see loved ones again. That way of thinking can keep you from living your life fully, moving on, trying to glean something from the loved one's death to carry with you into your present life.

I feel that by cherishing the memories, holding them close to you in your everyday life, it is more meaningful and helpful than setting their memory aside assuming you will meet them, unchanged, at some time in the future.

I can see the value in wishing so, and longing for children lost to death too soon. That is a natural thing to wish for, when your heart is broken by such an event.

But for parents and other adult loved ones who have maybe not been perfect examples or models in my life, I find it easier to reckon with making my peace, without fear of seeing them, unchanged, still with the mindset they had when they died.

I prefer to think that if they had lived, and had seen the changes in the world, maybe their outlook would soften, they would become more understanding, apologetic, etc.

It's easier to imagine this softening, without the fear I would see them again. Giving them the benefit of imagined maturity, if they had lived longer, is helpful to me in my own healing from various forms of abuse. This is coming from the perspective of an adult orphan from a dysfunctional family. 😉

Of course, my grandmother, with whom I identified with so closely, lived a long life and imparted her wisdom to me, which I think I've continued with in my own way. I keep her wisdom inside me, and build on it. If I were to ever see her again, I think she'd be proud of me. I am fine without imagining that, as I have her with me, in my heart always.

@Julie808 You wrote a beautiful response. On a different subject, I guess most people have wondered whether it might be better for people to learn to "block out" grief for the loss of others close to us. There is nothing we can do, everyone dies sooner or later, and the mental anguish serves no purpose. Some people do seem to feel that way but they are usually seen as hard-hearted and uncaring.
I noticed that you used the term "broken-hearted". I have never understood how that feels, I don't think. However, I have also never felt what I thought was great happiness. I am a happy person most of the time, and I think I enjoy life most of the time.
I guess broken-hearted means really badly hurt feelings. Your mind tells you that your heart is actually hurting, I guess. I dunno. Maybe it's kind of like being really, really, embarrassed.

@Grecio "Grief is learning to live with someone in your heart instead of your arms." A quote by Lynda Cheldelin Fell, who lost her child. This sums up grief, for me. To ignore it, or to sweep it out of mind and replace it with churchy worship stuff, is a disservice to the healing process, I think.

I have performed funerals for parents of children who died, and they seemed truly broken hearted to me, mourning a love that never got to run its full course, or come to maturity. A love cut short.

For me personally, I have never really had a true love, but thought I was on the verge of love once and that person abruptly left the relationship, ghosted me actually, and it seemed that I was broken hearted for serveral months about it, pinng away for something didn't get finished. Well, we actually did get back together a year and a half later, and I have since learned what a jerk he is, and now can't get rid of him. Lesson learned, haha, not to take broken heartedness in love too seriously.

I hope never to lose a loved one to death before their time, when a love hasn't been able to come to maturity. I lost my mother suddenly, and I was grief-stricken and in shock, but not broken-hearted. I lost my father after a long illness, and tried to come to terms with him a bit on his death-bed. Not sure how that went on his end, but it helped me. Sometimes we just need to deal with things philosophically on our own, stop blaming others and take responsibility for how we deal with what we were dealt.

Poetry. Elevate yourself by elevating what you follow, through in loving and feel good about yourself for doing it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:448613
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.