Agnostic.com

14 2

Godfather issue

I liked the Godfather aspect of the Catholic Church. I have 3 Godchildren. Now that I'm an atheist I feel differently about things. Any suggestions on how to handle this issue?

SalC 6 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was made godmother to my youngest sister in my teens. We are now in our sixties and she has become somewhat born again. I just ignore her daily prayers on FB and still feel responsible to watch over her and help her if I can. It seems natural to me and has nothing to do with religion.

I am godfather of two now grown children, the sole reason was the parents did not want them to fall into the hands of some of the christian wackos in the family!

So now your a Godlessfather. I don't think Hallmark has a card for that one.

Don't be silly, the concept of being a Godfather might be rooted in religion, but the practice of being responsible for children if something were to happen to the parents has nothing to do with religion.

I'm also a Godfather, three times over, and willingly accepted the position, not to fulfill the role to the Nth degree as written out in Catholic doctrine, but as a token of support and appreciation for my friends who honoured me by wanting to take on that role at the baptism.
My own two daughters didn't have baptisms they had naming ceremonies and the supporting adults chosen performed their roles in exactly the same way as I had at earlier baptisms and for the same reasons.
It all fits pretty well with me but I appreciate the naming ceremony may not be something that the majority of the religious zealots in America would take too.

I am a godfather too. (This was because I was the only one in the circle who had been baptized). I deem it a good thing to be in charge of their spiritual upbringing. They will get enough god stuff from their parents, church etc. I just bought " The glass bead game " by Herman Hesse for my eldest 16 year old godchild. He is bright as a button but plays far too much online games, this will stretch him I hope.

Just because your religious affiliation has changes I honestly don't see the need to change the title..Thats just over complicating the matter in my opinion.

You might consider yourself to be their "Guidefather" instead of their "Godfather" and maybe discuss this with their parents. You would still be part of your godchildren's support network of caring adults they can turn to in times when they need guidance in life, or in emergency situations, etc.

You might need to pledge to them that you will try to support the spirituality of the parents, as long as their children are believers, but explain that you have begun to think more worldly than the church, so you wouldn't be attending church, etc., yourself. You can set a good example of living with good ethics and values without being a practicing Catholic anymore.

Nowadays, young parents who have fallen away from the church can opt to have a Baby Glistening or Baby Blessing, Naming, Welcoming, or what ever they may wish to call it, instead of a Christening or Baptism. These are ceremonies for parents who believe their babies were born innocent, and they want to celebrate the values they wish to instill in their children. They often appoint "Guideparents" as part of a support network for their children, just like "Godparents".

What a wonderful response. Guideparents, very nice. Thank you.❤

My own daughters had naming ceremonies and they just had supporting adults but I like the suggestions you have made. It was a celebration of family and religion doesn't need to play any part IMO

I'm a godmother, three times. I was an atheist when I was asked to do this. The parents who made the request, also knew I was an atheist.
I didn't do the religious ceremonies, but I was the "responsible" adult if the parents kicked unexpectedly.
All the kids know I'm an atheist, and they're all grown now. We've had numerous conversations
about beliefs. One is still somewhat of a believer, but questioning. One is an agnostic, and one is a straight-up atheist. I believe I have been a pretty successful and effective godmother. LOL

And even though you're an atheist you still use the term Godmother?

@SalC Actually, I do not. However, since that was the word used in the original question, that's what I used. I don't feel the need to argue semantics much of the time.

My husband and I are godparents to our nieces. I really don't think it changes anything that we don't believe. We would care for them just like we cared for our own children.

I'm a Godmother and was already an Atheist when that happened.

It basically means (In Roman Catholicism) that you will take on the moral upbringing of the person you stood up for.

I think an Atheist can easily do that.

Also the Other Godparent has to be in the religion.

You made a commitment....if the need arises honor your commitment.

I'm a Godfather and an atheist. I don't know that I have any other responsibilities apart from taking care of my goddaughter in the event that her Catholic parents can't.

What other things are there to being Godfather?

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. Then make 'em an offer they can't refuse.

@KKGator HAHAHA! That caught me by surprise.

You get to put The Godfather on birthday cards lol

You can always just ignore it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45058
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.