Agnostic.com

32 1

Monogamy vs. Polygamy

Do you guys think monagomy is natural or is it a less effective practice for humans? Or we more wired to have multiple sex partners? Let’s discuss.

jonevanmoore 4 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

From my point of view it depends on the people, there are those who like to have more partner and others that are happy having just one,we have plenty of problems just couse of the society, with the freedom this questions wouldn't even exist xD

If I act poly when seeing someone it means I'm not in love with you, period.
I think as with various creatures there are degrees of people more prone to "poly" than others.
Also seems very trendy right now. JMO
My kind is not. NFW am I gonna be poly caring for and wiping your --s on your death bed.
Nopety nope noping that from space. What a fustercluck that would be. Just no.

Monogamy is not human nature. There is a really good book on the topic

Sex and God: How Religion Distorts Sexuality by Darrel Ray

Based on my experience, humans are mostly non monogamous but marriage like religion serves to preserve social order. Obviously many people prefer monogamy. What bothers me is people who adhere to group norms with a sense of superiority and self righteousness as if each person doesn't have the right to choose alternative lifestyles.

Humans are biologically non-monogamous. And you are right, so many people are so ready and eager to tell us how one should and should not live life. Marriage may or may not serve to preserve the social order, but to me it seems advisable that when a couple begins to embark on their time together, there should be a conversation about their views on monogamy and poliamory and open relationships and swinging, etc., to avoid painful assumptions or covert actions brought about by unfulfilled desires, or to avoid a life of repressed desires that in the end may proof to be as natural as anything else.
ESL teacher? Interesting. Do you speak a language other than English?

@Rodatheist I speak a little Japanese.

Actually, I apologize. After I asked you about speaking another language, I went ahead and read your bio and noticed your ability to speak Japanese. Do you have Japanese ancestry?

I completely do not get polyamory, but if it works for others, I say go for it. Just not for me. One person is enough work, ha ha!

Remi Level 7 Apr 4, 2018

It is illegal to marry more than one woman or man, but nothing in the law prevents you from living with several or having multiple partners, married or not.

While more common in men than women, I have known several married women who had multiple partners, one was married 3 times and "cheated" on all three husbands, although she and her present husband of about 25 years went into the relationship as an "open" relationship.

I think most animals are wired to take on as many partners as possible. Propogate diversely.

Well - as polygamy is understood in our culture it is all to the advantage to the male. Since you are a male how would you like to have her be with more than one husband? Somuch of polygamy is bound up wtih male domination.To me it is saying to a woman if you have say three wives each one is only a third of value to you. How would a male feel if he was just one third f of the equation?

Polygamy may have been useful at earlier times in human development. When men went off to war and got killed, the only way women and their children could move into another man's house and stay alive - the powers that were decided the polygamy was necessary. Today, polygamy is not useful. I say that consenting adults can do what they want. But, me, I would not want to be wife #2, #3, or #4. That would not be comfortable.

Some creatures are more monogamous or poly than others. I don't see why this can't apply to people as well.

I have no desire to share a man with another woman or to have more than one husband. I have friends who are polyamorous and seem to be happy about it, and I am happy for them if this is what they prefer. Not for me.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 29, 2018

I think it depends on the individual. Everyone has different desires and proclivities.

I have no idea of the science involved but one at a time please.....as if it's a problem lol

our biology shows us to be mostly monogamists.

@Gwendolyn2018 The naked ape by Desmond Morris goes thru it a lot better then I could. He is an evolutionary biologist. Its your call I could try to summarize or you could buy the book on amazon for about $3.99. I am good either way.

@Gwendolyn2018 I don't think I have to do anything?

Yes.

1. "Natural" is a fallacy. Arsenic is natural, doesn't mean you use it as foodstuff. As always context is everything.
  2. Human sexuality has such a broad range of "normal" that the only questions which make sense in the context of modern, western, first world cultures is "Does it do any harm?" "Is it consensual?"

The ultimate goal for all species is survival, or procreation—the strongest drive of all organisms—the accomplishment of which was not likely possible early on under a system of monogamy. Later (much later), the establishment of a ‘pact’ or ‘contract’ was necessitated in order to ensure the continuation of the clan and the retention of resources (wealth) within a clan, most often under a system of primogeniture. This arrangement was later appropriated and ‘sanctified’ by religion, which had the audacity to claim that the entire system was an institution that had been ordained by God—bollocks!

Today we appear capable of being of two minds. We respect the bonds of trust, genuine affection, partnership and even being ‘soul mates’ that may be experienced in a monogamous relationship, while at the same time we recognize our history, as well as potential curiosity, of having multiple partners. However, at this point, I am unconvinced that polyamory is a net positive, and would hope that more of us might strive to deepen the relationship we have with our life partner.

Weirdly enough, being able to be polyamorous has made me deepen my relationship with my partner.

I have the opportunity to date others and sleep with them if I wanted to. I just haven't felt the desire to do more than kiss. However, I do bring that energy I get from being in the presence of other men home with me and feel more attracted to my partner.

Having the freedom to have sex with others if I wanted to has had the opposite effect on me than it did when I was trying to be.monogamous.

I suppose this involves how you define monogamy. If divorce is prevalent in a society then can it be really characterized as a monogamous culture?

cava Level 7 Mar 28, 2018

That is an interesting question. Along that topic - is the divorce prevalent because biologically we are driven not be or because the value we place on marriage is decreasing? (or the value we place on something else has increased above the value of marriage)

yes, it would be a serial monogamous culture.

@vmfreesoul I have read that it is due to an increased in the value of materialism in our culture. We seek things, 'stuff' as George Carlin used to joke about it. Materialism crowds out our other relationship priorities such as communication, conflict resolution and intimacy.

@cava Absolutely. And an increasing push to be an individual, to not rely on anyone, to the detriment of the community, to our families.

Technically "monogamy" is one partner for life, so very, very few of any humans are truly monogamous.

Polyamory is what I prefer.

But not polygamy. I don't want to be married to more than one person. Or at all.

Exactly this.

The issue here is "natural" so pre civilised. In that case we are not monogamous.
I bet you never realised how much into sex ecologists are.
The shape of the human penis, particularly the glans and coronal ridge evolved because we are so promiscous. (well the women are). hahaha. We are talking about the human species, long before we had speech and rules and such.

An idea I've had for a while is that we are more biologically wired to have multiple partners to continue our species. A study was done in 2005 (Helen Fisher, Harvard) that measured the levels of dopamine released over during new relationships. The dopamine levels increased dramatically for a year or so, before declining (the Honeymoon phase). Just long enough to get to make semi/permanent bonds and/or get pregnant.

However, after that depends on who you are as a person. Your upbringing, your values, and your actual compatability with the other person when the chemistry is less in sync.

While I believe some people can make poly relationships work, I know it's not for me. I do think that relationships often run their course after several years.

Interesting question. I don't think that monogamy is natural. However, I do think that monogamy is achievable and expected, even covetable to many people.

I'd personally prefer polygamy because it should eliminate the lying which seems to be inherent to most monogamy attempts. I've never been terribly upset about infidelity in and of itself. The lying is what kills the trust which ends the relaionship.

I think humans are naturally inclined to be serial monogamists.
People naturally get jealous and don’t want to share each other.
But people also naturally like new things and new relationships are exciting.

Myah Level 6 Mar 28, 2018

The feelings of jealousy are most likely aroused by our evolutionary history ... namely, that our genes, and no one else's, matter. In a competitive breeding population, the 'strongest' genes need protection from the 'weaker' interloper who might impregnate members of the 'harem.'

@pnullifidian
shrug if you say so. But why do women become jealous easily if they are used to being a “harem.” Just seems to be a very male centric assumption in my opinion.

I think humans naturally pair off. The population is 50-50 male-female. Why did evolution decide that? Society becomes unstable when there are too many young single men. Monogamy just makes sense. Serial monogamy makes even more sense.

Also through out evolution, I don’t think there were many harems (as a percentage of the general population). There simply weren’t enough resources. (Let’s be honest- harems=rich) The truth is closer to women being out on the world interacting with the world to help bring food to the table because otherwise they would starve. Why would they choose one man to help them if he had multiple obligations? I would chose the man that was more invested in me individually, that makes more sense.

I don't think people "naturally" get jealous. I think it is the upbringing in the sex suppressed culture that brings out that emotion

@AtheistInNC

I mean you could basically say the same for preference for monogamy vs polygamy etc. that it is upbringing.

@Myah Actually, I do think that as well.

@Myah ive had it both ways.... if you want my story then send me a message..... i can say this. More than one lady in the house...sucks.

If you wanna fuck around be single that's the way I see it

that is one way of putting it!

Polygamy has the most benefits but most people would have to unlearn the stranglehold monogamy has on people.

SamL Level 7 Mar 28, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45087
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.