Agnostic.com

40 1

Do liberals tend to be more tolerant, open, and thoughtful or are they often just as intolerant, bigoted, and irrational as any other group, maybe more?

I listen to the conservatives on here and what they often think of liberals. Here are some open thoughts shared:

• Liberals love freedom of speech so long they agree with you. Otherwise, they refuse to listen and/or try to shut you down.
  • Liberals have an agenda, but what they don't have are valid arguments, especially on things they have no clue about. A good example is gun control. There are many liberals who don't know the different types of guns, what they're used for, the different types of ammunition and they generally have no idea what the existing laws for guns even are. Yet, here they are, marching about with happy little signs yelling for more laws, but they're often found to be ill informed and they even refuse to even engage with someone from the other side.
  • Liberals are often elitest and smug. They think they're smarter and have all the answers, but really come across as intolerant assholes who, when really pressed, don't have well reasoned arguments at all. They're often found mouthing what they've heard from one of their liberal heroes, but don't know enough to enter a real debate.

Since being on this website, I see how liberals and conservative talk about each other, and it's almost always hateful and demeaning. I'm not that old, but I do remember the time when the two sides could get along and played well with each other. Certainly not like today. The rhetoric is just plain mean and vindictive on both sides of the table.

Whatever side you fall, do you see this as a problem with your group?

Jesusluvsu 6 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The liberals are idiots especially when it comes to bashing Trump and gun control. They seem to be on a road to ruin this country.

Observe Exhibit A.

@Huge You sir are the radical one. There’s so much name calling and cursing among the liberals especially when it comes to Trump or gun control it’s pathetic. And you call me hateful??

You are correct.

However, I would just say to keep your politics seperate from your personal life. There is no need to start a mosh-pit every time something needs to get done. I'm sorry, but you're best off dealing with the things that are actually feasible to deal with, instead of the business of other people.

I think all those points are earmarks of extremes. Which both sides have and, in my opinion, is bad in anything. Extreme fanatics are irrational and closed to any discussion of any conversation that strays from their agenda. And often dangerous i.e. religious fanatics.

Labels are too specific.

Bad Ideas aren't unique to one side or the other. For instance a Liberal can personally Hate Trump, but will support him thinking it is God's Will.

Liberals tend to judge others based upon life decisions they have made. Conservatives are more apt to judge people by characteristics which they are born with.

I try to understand how people get to "where they are" through their life experiences, rather than an Ideology that they have bought into

I saw someone post something to Facebook not long ago. It started along the lines of "If a conservative doesn't believe in owning guns, they don't own a gun. If a liberal doesn't believe in owning guns, they try to make sure nobody can own a gun." And then carries on in a similar vein on other subjects.

Of course when you get to "If a conservative doesn't believe in abortion, they don't get an abortion. If a liberal doesn't believe in abortion, they try to stop anyone getting one." The whole thing falls to pieces. The roles are very much reversed at this point, as I explained to the person who posted it.

My point is that you can find examples on both sides, where both liberals and conservatives tend to mind their own business. Equally, you find examples on both sides where both liberals and conservatives try to dictate how others should behave and what rights they should have.

Conservatism is about preventing change. It's right there in the name. Sticking to the status quo. Undoing the change that the liberal lot did last time round (just look at some of Trump's actions, immediately upon getting into office: prioritising the reversal of the ACA and LGBT+ rights put in place by the previous administration.) Making sure the wealthy stay wealthy and the poor stay poor. Liberalism tends to take the opposite approach. It is pro change. It's about higher taxation for the wealthy to better look after the not so well off. Some changes are for the better, and some are for the worse. It depends on your perspective, your position on certain points, and to a degree not just how wealthy you are, but also how much you believe of what you see/read in the media (owned by very wealthy people, with their own best interests at heart.)

Much like those in the ranks of ultra conservative Bible pounding Christians, I see no reason why there can't be self proclaimed liberals who completely miss the mark. I am proud to consider myself a liberal with many friends who are like me. In our social circles, I can say honestly that no one cares about color, gender or gender choice or sexual preferences, if one is religious or not and if they are, then the religion of choice. If we have a cultural weakness, it would probably have to do with intellect. We are all offended by ignorance and stupidity, which I am glad to report doesn't usually exist in a liberal person.

So called Liberals, Are they Human? Then yes. Praise Jebus!

The truth is that sometimes it takes genius to recognize genius. Trump is a genius.

gater Level 7 Apr 1, 2018

Seriously, I hope you're joking.

@TimothyIII no - why would you think that?

@gater tRump is mentally deficient and almost dangerously stupid. He blatantly lies and gets away with it because his follows are even more stupid and ill informed than he. He has absolutely no idea what a president does. His go to example of a country leader is Hitler and like Hitler he will fail miserably just like he has at almost every other thing he has done in life. There is no genius there!

@TimothyIII

@gater Actually he has even said it himself that he relies on stupid people to support him, vote for him and believe him. I don't do any of those things. I don't want to see him impeached so much as I want to see him in a federal prison for treason.

Spot on..

You made some sweeping generalizations about liberals in your post above, and your comments direct at the marchers for gun control were simply mean-spirited. That comment came out of emotions, not rational thought. Also, no one is really putting a gun to your head and keeping you from expressing your opinions.

Liberals should be L'assez faire, or promote as much freedom in society as practical. In reality the parties using the phrase seldom stand up for it's true meaning, either in social reform or economic policy (unfortunately!).

From what I have seen in the last few years they are both hateful towards anyone that doesn't agree with them.I used to vote for what I thought was the lessor of the 2 evils which was democrats.I don't even vote anymore,but I would have voted for Bernie Sanders.I am an independent person anyway.

Liberal principles are many. And some, like the freedom of speech, are shared by many who do not share others.
Currently the regressive-left has clearly abandoned core liberal principles embodied in our constitution. A truly liberal document.
And there are the economic neo-liberals like trump and his ilk.
Douglas Murray is a UK "conservative" who is wonderfully articulate about how anti-free speech laws, and protests, are a significant danger to western liberal principles. He is also gay, pro-equal rights, anti-racist, and an anti-theist. ("Reading the koran made me an atheist." )

Surely the old chinese curse applies to living to day: "May you live in interesting times.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45144
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.