Agnostic.com

32 17

Why don't people control vicious dogs? Yesterday's Rottweiler attack.

While hiking and snowshoeing, I have been attacked by eight unleashed dogs while hiking and snowshoeing. It took six months for my knee ligament to heal after one dog attack.

"He's friendly!" the dog owners called. The did not control their dogs despite my plea, "Grab your dog's collar! He is required to be on a leash!" None of the dog owners apologized. Sadly, I went from being a dog lover to feeling terrified of strange dogs.

Rottweiler attack

Yesterday while snowshoeing with Karen, a large Rottweiler barreled down the trail toward us, barking and growling. The dog owner was nowhere in sight. A woman in her 20s, she was meditating above: out-of-sight and oblivious we discovered later.

"Get behind me, Kathleen," Karen said kindly. She bravely drove off the Rottweiler by hitting and stabbing it with her hiking poles. Although she carries cougar spray, she didn't have time to get it out of her pack.

Karen says vicious dogs are after her own dog, Bonnie, not me. Small comfort.

We calmed down over lunch with hot tea. It was gorgeous! Snow was falling, lining every horizontal branch with white. But the Rottweiler attack colored my experience.

How to repel attacking dogs

Pepper spray on a Velcro wristband irritated my wrist, giving me a painful rash. I ditched it.

Instead Karen taught me to hold my hiking poles vertically in front of me, swinging them vigorously, criss-crossing at my ankles. It works. Dogs back off. "Stop waving your poles!" one women yelled as her dog ran toward me, barking and growling. "You'll poke his eyes out!"

"That's the point!" I called without stopping. "Grab your dog's collar! He is required to be on a leash." She finally grabbed her dog's collar.

To my inner disgust, all of my female hiking partners let their dogs off-leash while hiking. Yesterday Bonnie went berserk when man on a fat-tire bicycle suddenly appeared. Ignoring Karen's commands, Bonnie continued barking madly and chasing the bicyclist.

He was affable. "You're in big trouble," he told Bonnie with a laugh as he rode by in the snow.

When little dogs race toward me barking and growling, I throw my hands with hiking poles into the air, making myself look bigger. "ROWRR!" I roar in a deep voice, charging toward them. "NO! Get out of here!" They yip, turn tail and run back to their owner.

At Lake Clara and Marion trailhead, when we see one woman with her three, out-of-control large dogs, we leave and choose another trail. Karen has tangled with this woman's attacking dogs repeatedly on that trail. Not a leash in sight.

U.S Forest Service regulation on dogs

"Dogs must be on a leash or under firm voice control." This is too squishy. Everyone thinks their dog is under voice control.

Selfish, irresponsible dog owners are responsible for dog attacks. Refusing to control your dog is disrespectful toward other people.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I were to do cost benefit analysis based on this post I'd say you experience more cons nd distress from hiking than you do pros. So many dog attacks in one's life?! yikes!

I run on country roads. An old farm who lived next door taught me how to send a dog packin' back home. Stop, wave your arms and yell at the dog to go home and bad dog. So far it's worked.

From now on I’ll have hiking poles and bear spray.

This seems like "some people shouldnt be allowed to have kids" or other popular un-implementable unenforceable talking points. The state is not going to provide that level of over sight for you, or pick and choose the rights of individual dog owners in accordance with your beliefs. Theres not a solution here, unless you can afford to hire private guards or youd be willing to be as violent as a dog.

One good thing would be more dog parks. Those places have their own issues, but providing a designated place where people can let their dogs run, is a good thing. Theres a very documentable history of racism and classism when it comes to dog parks, but thats a problem that can be renediated by expanding them, not getting rid of them.

Dog parks will not take care of the problem. We are talking of dogs that attack, not friendly ones.

@Jolanta no they won't take care of the problem. The only thing that would make a real difference would be responsible adults, but even that wouldnt change the nature of dogs,

But there would be fewer dogs on the trails if the owners had other options, and the dogs would be better socialized. Both would help.

Shoot any vicious animal : human or 4 legs or snake..... raping or eating you is cause to shoot them first.... if you break a ski pole defending yourself from a vicious animal..... tell the owner : pay to replace it.... a choke chain rope can train a dog to hike alongside a human hiker .....report the offending animals immediately report to law enforcement jurisdiction over your park.....the gunshot heard after defending yourself may signal help in your direction

@Larry63Feminist

I will never buy a gun.

@LiterateHiker of course I remember your disarming leadership.... I was taught to shoot rattlesnakes rather than retreat into a nest of others..... when dog deaths outnumber humans bitten... the owners will keep their canines conntrolled

You are allowed to carry a gun in the USA.
Carry a replica pistol, if you feel uneasy about weapons, but point it at the dog and tell the owner you will shoot, and claim self defense, if the dog is not immediately put on a leash.
If it is a real weapon, fire it at the ground near the dog. Basically, become notorious, until in the end when dog walkers see you it is THEY who go somewhere else.

sorry Petter a gun is not the answer.

@sassygirl3869 What about a starting pistol. Makes a loud bang but only fires blanks?

@Petter much better idea.

Bear or Cougar spray in the dog's face will do the trick and is non-lethal - but teaches a lesson they will never forget.

@Petter

I will never buy a gun. I support strong gun control.

@Petter

Too heavy.

@Petter, @FrostyJim

Once I blasted pepper spray into the face of a large dog attacking me. It temporarily blinded the dog. It yelped, turned tail and ran away. Perfect.

@LiterateHiker I lived in Idi Amin's Uganda for 5 years, and although well trained by the army in the use of pistols, rifles and machine guns, I never had one in my house or office.

Inconvenience or discomfort vs safety - it is always a trade-off. I always carry bear spray in bear country and I figure out how to have it where I can get it when needed - not tucked inside a pack? When traveling overnight in bear country - I carried a 12 gage shotgun - the same model as the Rangers carry up here. Never had to use it - and it was a damn nuisance to carry - but worth the safety - Had a Black bear sow with 2 cubs try to get into our cabin... my Ex took her turn carrying the shotgun when I was carrying the canoe...

There are many ways to carry spray - if you want the added safety? It is your personal choice.

@Gwendolyn2018 - nobody should be an irresponsible pet owner - it is not the pet's fault ...it is simply a question of personal safety - and there are dangerous wild animals. If you want to share your space with animals you must accept the risk - your level of safety is a choice.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:453310
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.