Agnostic.com

8 6

An Auschwitz survivor makes an emotional return 75 years later.

"A survey released in April 2018, commissioned by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims against Germany, found people are forgetting. Some say they never knew at all.

"Of 1,350 Americans 18 and older surveyed, 11 percent of adults and 22 percent of millennials haven't heard, or aren't sure they've heard, of the Holocaust.

"This is obviously something that we have to remember," Sklar said. " It's an obligation for all of us to remember what happened to make sure that we never forget to make sure that it never happens again."

[today.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lets hope it never happens again but unfortuneatly history seems to repeat it self,only we can help prevent it by keeping the story alive

The holocaust against Palestinians just escalated today with both Netanyahu and TrumpOLINI on trial for corruption in their alleged "countries" meeting inside the White House solidifying the illegal thefts of Palestinian land violating United Nations resolutions all parties agreed to decades ago TODAY

Horrendous

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 28, 2020

Love you posted on the 75 anniversary of the rescue at Auschwitz. We have posted many articles like this one in Jewish by Culture. Please feel free to join us @LiterateHiker.

@sassygirl3869

Thank you, dear. I appreciate you.

When I was at school, the Crimean war had taken place 95 years previously. It seemed like ancient history and the charge of the light brigade was akin to a Boys Own Paper adventure. The holocaust started 80 years ago. How can one blame today's ten year olds for knowing very little about it?
It is a sad fact of history that events become mythologised.
I fear that in 20 more years the holocaust will, like the slaughter at Balaklava in 1854, be no more than an episode of history.
After all, look at the slaughter of intellectuals that followed both the French and Russian revolutions. Do you know much about them. DO YOU CARE?
Russian thinkers were still being killed in Siberian concentration camps only 10 years prior to the holocaust.
The world moves on. New events supercede the old. Sad but true.

We covered the Holocaust three years ago. Of the eastern European students (6) in my class aged 16-21, all knew about it. It was part of their education.
Of the Scottish students of the same age (10), two had never heard of it and although one of them knew about there being two world wars, she did not know which came first (I shit you not) WWI or WWII and who was on who's side. Was Hitler British or German and who won? History is not taught in a linear fashion in Scottish schools.
Later on the first year of degree studies at least all of the students knew about the holocaust regardless of age, but it can be said, that most were middle class.
As for myself. My mother's father was at Bergen Belsen in 1945, so I take no crap about it being an allied lie. Len had to bulldoze thousands of bodies into burial pits. Just far too many dead to count and process considering they were decomposing and posed a disease risk to liberating troops and survivors.

If the link works, I think my granddad could be at 11:17. Can't confirm that is him, but it was one of his tasks post liberation. My father indentified him in photo on a bulldozer (probably that one) at Belsen, but with the handkerchief in this image ove his face, I'm not sure. The eybrows look like his and I have them too. He was a Romany and his wife was an east London Jew, although neither of them believed in Gods.

I think it's important to remember that Jews were not the only victims. I don't understand why the other 5 million victims are ignored. If more people could identify with the victims it might help more people care about it.

I played Adolph Eichmann in the London written stage play : GOOD ..... my lines drive home the varieties of people murdered by German Lutherans and German catholics gott MIT UNS

But it's happening constantly. Genocide or Ethnic Cleansing is taking place somewhere on our planet as I type this.

Until we get down to 1/2 billion people (the ideal amount that most demographers say will allow earth to "stay in balance" ) there will always be unjustified hostility.

[ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Sadly true.

@Robecology I think intolerance has more effect on indiscriminate bloodletting than population pressures. If I'm right, we may not need to reduce our population by 95% to stop the killing, but instead change ourselves. A huge task either way.

@alliwant I don't know where you got the idea that we "need to reduce our population"...simply getting in to the concept and value of family planning, and small families - lowering the birth rate below the normal death rate - will naturally reduce our numbers.

indiscriminate bloodletting - I haven't a clue what you're implying here...

But I do concur; it's a huge task...and we will probably end up with a compromise; The more efficient we become with recycling...the larger the population our planet can tolerate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:453861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.