Agnostic.com

33 14

If you had Chickenpox, you can get Shingles.

For the past three weeks, I have had stinging pain and sensitivity to lotions and touch on the left side of my face. Luckily, no rash. I have high pain tolerance.

"I'm a suspicious person," my doctor said. I laughed.

"I suspect it's shingles," he said. "The virus stays in your body and travels along the nerves. Having had shingles does not make you immune to future outbreaks."

He showed me a diagram of facial nerves that matches where my face hurts. He prescribed a strong dose of Acyclovir for a week. After two days, my face feels better.

Perhaps my immune system is stressed from decreased appetite (and weight, darn it!) during long, dark days of winter each year. Also, sewing the lined suede vest was stressful.

Like most people, I had chickenpox as a child. In 2005, I got a painful, itchy shingles rash on my butt, lower back and the back of my thighs. I was under tremendous stress at the time. Doctor prescribed a high dose of Acyclovir. The shingles went away; thankfully, with no permanent, painful nerve damage.

Next week, I will get the first shot of the new Shingrix shingles vaccine. In six months, I will have the 2nd and final dose of the vaccine.

Your thoughts?

[mayoclinic.org]

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I got sciatica at the moment and that is hell. Trying to do exercises for it but so far not good.

Me too, Jolanta.

@DenoPenno I just tried a teens machine and it seems to help.

Do you go to chiropractor?

@PondartIncbendog No, I do have exercises for it but you know every so often it just flares up.

@Jolanta I started last year. I was in serious pain in my back and shoulder. I was sick from it.
First time I went, I felt better. I go every two weeks now. I'm free of pain.

I have no thoughts. Just don't get stressed, depressed or overtired.

@Ryu-Dad

Good luck with that.

Thanks for the heads up they've been running the commercials for a couple years for the shingles vaccine for the reasons you've given, and now to be the person I am, if I'm going to get shingles I want new gutters and downspouts too.

Like many childhood infections there is no cure just riding out the symptoms and soothing the blisters....I was lucky as a kid and had 3 blisters on my forehead then only 2 blisters 6 years ago in the same spots leaving tiny little "crater" depressions on my otherwise smooth forehead

Dog attacks and looming avalanches are certainly stressful while dirty dog boy dating can't be reassuring

Maybe focusing so much energy on your suede vest mellowed you out some

@Larry68Feminist

Sewing the suede vest using an inaccurate pattern was stressful.

Suede fabric is extremely difficult to sew.

Yeah, I got the vaccine, hope it works. So far so good.

I had a nasty case of shingles all across the top of my right shoulder 5 years ago. That was the most miserable 3 - 4 months of my life before the pain started to subside. I still have some residual nerve damage where it's always itchy.............

I've had the shingles vaccine. Nothing to report.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454951
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.