Agnostic.com

23 5

People that won't take no for an answer

Particularly in the dating arena. Has anyone else experienced this? Where you politely decline someone, and they are aggressively persist to the point where you end up having to block them or be almost rudely blunt. I would never be like that, I don't even understand this lack of self awareness. I'm assuming this must effect both men and women.

carcmcgarc 5 Mar 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll admit to having a problem with this when I was young. I wasn't aggressive, but I was overly persistent, and didn't know how to take a hint. I think I've grown out of it (hopefully!), but I can say for me at least, it was mostly a lack of self-awareness. I simply didn't realize what I was doing was making people uncomfortable. The burden should not be on you to correct them, but some stern, direct language can go a long way.

I think there's a bit of responsibility on both sides though. Self awareness is vital, yes, but I don't ask women out with the intention of having to guess if she's interested or not, I assume I will get an honest answer.

Unfortunately I have gotten a lot of "no" from people who just wanted me to try harder and also a bunch of "yes" from people who weren't genuinely interested.

Frustrating.

Yup. Back in the lare 90's a coworker kept asking me out. No was said politely & firmly, the polite, firm & clear & finally, I just looked him dead in the eye & said, "I'm not sure how I can say no without be rude so since you have ignored no & polite downs, let me be blunt, if you were my only option for a date, I'd become a full fledged lesbian. I have a girlfriend. She bought a bigger dick than you can ever grow. I'm not interested in you. Do we need to get management & HR involved?" & that was the end of that.

😀

I am at that age where I can no longer take "yes" for an answer.

Aww @el-loco

@SACatWalker No, seriously, it isn't.

@SACatWalker Well, OK. Maybe I exaggerate a bit.

I have learned that "almost" rudely blunt is not good enough. We women are conditioned to take responsibility for the psychological comfort of absolute strangers over our own. That's a bad habit and it needs to end asap.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 29, 2018

I only ever had one Stage 5 clinger, who sent me harassing texts for a year after I left him. I never had to turn anyone down because I've never really been approached; I did all the approaching in my liasons and relationships. This cold, aloof, unapproachable thing is really working for me. 😉

As a rule of thumb, in any scenario, if a person won't take 'No' for an answer then 'fuck off' usually does the trick 🙂

Yes fuck off I find works well

If people don't respond to. "no", I now do, "no with suggestions". E.g. I got asked by a potential date if myself and my friend would both want him if he came to the bar without a double date for her. After my first answer of,' no we're both too greedy to share', he asked again. I told him that he must be on the wrong dating site and redirected him to the website, 'bored housewives who love sex'! Lols.

I can only recall experiencing this with sales people and it drives me crazy. I have never understood why men can be so persistent in pursuing someone. If someone told me "no".. I assume that she means it...End of story. I would not enjoy the company of someone reluctant to be with me.

Nuke Level 5 Mar 29, 2018

Hey neighbor live near Bedford Line. Three months ago went on a date with a local guy who would call me last minute to go to dinner and it got old. Stopped returning his calls.

? hello!

That reminds me that years ago I did have a woman chase me. She had written a book of (weird) poetry and gave me a copy. After lots of making excuses she finally got the message.

I've dealt with this only a relatively few times, thankfully. After letting them know that I didn't think there was a romantic connection sometimes came the interogation phase - "why not?" or "what's so wrong with me?" and the "you're nothing special, anyway" comments. Since that officially signaled a crossing of the line for me, I'd just ignore them after that. Never needed to block, they usually just disappeared. I would imagine women on dating sites have to deal with this a LOT. Unfortunate and stupid. On behalf of guys who would never act this way, I'm sorry.

I dont' think it is a lack of awareness on their part so much as a sense of selfishness andor entitlement.

Personally, I jus reached a point where if they won't behave nicely and persist and wont' take "no" for an answer, I will go ahed and get loud and publicly embarass them... and I's feell fully justified in doing that.

However, after reachign that point in my attitude, I gues I hve also gotten too old for guys to be overly and/or rudely persistent.

It is easy for one to hide behind a profile. Those who don’t respect another’s voice here are generally those who don’t have the courage to be heard in the physical world.

I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never seen it. No should be enough.

Not on here of course, but yes, a number of times, mostly dating site related, where I have either declined meeting someone or declined meeting a second time. I feel sorry for the ladies it must be 100 times worse for them. I do not wish to be intimate with a smoker, so I don't meet with them from a dating site. Some lie on their profiles then admit to it when we meet, I do not meet them again. Twice I have had ladies change their age to fit in with my seeking criteria. I have a 5 year either way limit normally. I don't do addictions, I could never date anyone with more mental health issues than I have, hunting, cruelty, badly behaved kids, gym junkies (see addictions), women into money etc/. My list of things I don't want is pretty big. I guess some of the women I have rejected are surprised, or offended, and probably do not consider my dislikes reasonable.
In the end I have to block becuase they don't let up, debating my choices, abusing me etc.
I wonder why I have been single for so long??

It does happen to both sexes. In our (male) case, usually after at least some minor kind of social familiarity has been established and termination attempted, some emotionally damaged women will react in this disrespectful way.

Because damaged males act out differently from females in ours and most other societies, no such connection is necessary for the fixation. Sight and objectification alone suffice. Objects aren't necessarily due any respect and in some warped minds neither are objectified females. It is pathological behavior from which all women and men should run at full speed.

I have had it too but I think it's mostly a male trait!!! There are some pretty odd folks out there.

I want you...I want you so bad it's driving me mad...it's driving me mad...just kidding..

I had to get rude with this cute guy at the coffee shop yesterday. I could tell that he was extremely young.

Yes, but luckily most dating websites have means to block and/or report them.

I’ve experienced this online in general. I have been nice and said sorry not interested, for a variety of reasons. Most of them include the blatant fact that they didn’t read my profile and want to go fishing etc. I’m not that girl. So if I say sorry were not a good match, whoa. I’m a fat ugly bitch from the bowels of hell. OR they come on full blown, singleminded, looking for sex. Not even particularly meetup, they are up for phone sex and I’m like find a prostitute dude. Again I’m a horrible human when I turn them down. I’ve had to block, ban, delete, report. If a guy says no to me, I thank him for his time and move on. No nasty name calling, no outbursts of anger and fragile ego’s cracking into a million pieces. I know this goes both ways. I’m just not that girl. I think I’m more secure in myself than that. I feel for everyone who’s gone through it.

For some reason, the women that like to play hard to get have put it in guy's minds that a no means yes and you just have to be persistent because the woman doesn't want to seem "easy".

Or maybe they just think that they are so charming that no amount of non-chemistry or whatever reason will stop them from woooooing you lol

Look, I will ask a woman "yes or no?" And, if she says "no" then it's a no.On other hand....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45686
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.