Agnostic.com

9 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great article—thanks for posting. Numbers of imminent scientists have postulated universal consciousness, shared by all.

I’m saving this article for further study, and I’m going to learn more about Dan Siegel.

In other words, or actually in just one word, "sentience".
I would also ask, why should humans be the only beings with a mind? What about earlier humans, like homo erectus? What about other Apes? What about intelligent mammals like Dolphins, Dogs and Cats? At what stage of complexity and awareness of the surroundings, and interactions with it, does a "mind" arise?
The one certain thing is that a "mind" is NOT uniquely (sapiens) human, despite the tenets of theologists.

you havent taken NOTCH21NL mutations into consideration.

It says that mind is an emergent process, which suggests that it is greater than the sum of it's parts in the same way that society is emergent and greater than just the sum of the individuals but it doesn't indicate that the mind exists outside the brain as if the brain dies, the mind dies in the same way that society is extinguished by the death of all the people. If you think this article indicates a proof of soul, it doesn't.

You're right, it doesn't imply a soul.

I don’t think the soul concept comes into play here unless you think of consciousness itself as some sort of universal soul.

since we cannot measure awareness for epistemological reasons you must turn to other evidentiary methods. try meditating for a few years and you'll become convinced awareness exists apart from the rest. plus there are literally thousands of years worth of observations and data about this that western science is only now beginning to discover.

Very interesting good post

that sounds right

Interesting and I have no problem with that. I would however, like to see the research that leads to the conclusion

Garbage in, Garbage out.

Define "Mind" and someone else's definition will disagree with you

Yep.

Well, that's it. I've lost my mind......

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:457908
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.