Agnostic.com

13 4

Why some believe in God

What people are really after is, what is my stance on religion or spirituality or God? And I would say, if I find a word that came closest, it would be agnostic.

gina565 2 Feb 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's all about intelligence, people believe in what they able to understand.

gater Level 7 Feb 26, 2020

Cognitive biases

Some? Most do because of constant brainwashing from parents, peers and society.

You are quoting Neil deGrasse Tyson if I am not mistaken.

How ever, how does the post otherwise address the first statement you make, "Why some believe in God"

Word Level 8 Feb 13, 2020

As an atheist since age 13, I have no interest in converting anyone. Just don't try to convert me.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is wrong in painting all atheists with the same brush.

@LiterateHiker He mentions "athiest I know ..." then talks about those atheist with an active agenda " in the name of atheism" as I would put it. Stereotype - a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing. He is using a simplified example of a lot of atheist for making his point. For those that understand stereotypes, the points made using stereotypes are not absolute or even intended to cover all. It is understand there is the point made using stereotypes but there are exceptions.

For those that can understand stereotype and knows that Neil deGrasse Tyson was not painting ALL atheist with the same brush, what he says is really not specifically wrong.

Why some believe in gods: They are brainwashed as children, and it takes some effort to find one's way out of the lies they've been told.

I'm an atheist. I have a lack of belief in any gods. I'm an agnostic. I don't have any knowledge that any gods are real.

Likewise. And to those two legs I add a third: I am a nullifidian. I have no faith or religious belief.

All religions are based upon fear and fear of death in particular. We are hardwired to survive and that is a challenge for intelligent species as it is clear that we will ultimately die, it's inescapable but we can manufacture a delusion that we will somehow carry on after our body dies. Religion is just a means of profiting from that delusion.

People feel they really need something to believe in and they need to have all the answers. Where am I going in life and what is this all about. The religious find that in the end your life is just a test that gets you ready for death. They keep making it up to give it more meaning.

Desperation looking for some meaning to life

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 12, 2020

Very good stance, and the only reasonable one
This frees you up to all kinds of theories, possibilities, and much fruitful discussion.
What do you think: primitive people thought extraterrestials were 'gods' and on them based early religions?
Some will tell you nothing is possible; the truth is, anything is.

Lack of belief or questioning what god may be is not a stance. Atheism is a lack of belief. Agnosticism is a lack of "knowledge" or understanding.

@DavidLaDeau Not THIS again!
Not going there! Except to say Atheism IS a belief, in the NON-existence of a personal entity called 'god.'
Agnosticism is a simple acknowledgment belief or non-belief, without evidence, is impossible.
Okay?
Not interested in semantic word games at present

@FrankA Belief is a false hope in something without evidence. I lack evidence for a god, therefore I lack belief.

@maturin1919 No, an agnostic doesn't NOT believe in a 'god.' It's irrelevant whether a 'god' exists or not. If 'god' exists, it is not involved in the physical universe, including you and I, so it doesn't matter. Either way, it has nothing to do with me.
Agnostics DON'T CARE.
Live a decent, honorable life, die, THEN it becomes relevant, not before.
Unless, of course, 'god' proves itself by interceding on my behalf in some obvious way (which I sincerely doubt is going to happen).
An agnostic doesn't mock believers or nonbelievers, is not concerned about it EXCEPT doesn't like to be compared or likened in some way with one or the other.
Agnosticism is a separate and distinct category.
Personally speaking, I see it all as supposition and conjecture...I enjoy theorizing about it, but that's a very different thing.
Put another way, I doubt a personal 'god' exists, but SOME kind of 'god' might, something which explains the whole thing, makes sense of it.
Who knows?

What people are "really after [your] stance"???? Not me.........

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and positions.
As long as they don't use said opinions and positions as justification to discriminate against others, or to control the lives of others.
When they do that, they're assholes and need to be stopped.

Why MOST believe in supernatural crap. The ignorance of generations perpetrated by the tribe's powerful.

No different here and now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:459329
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.