Agnostic.com

4 7

LINK Richard Carrier - Testing Religion Claims with Science and History - YouTube

Really enjoyed this lecture.

On my last shopping trip, I was "acosted" by those godbotherers who hang out in parking lots and shopping centers. It was an invite to one of their church events. I chatted with him while I loaded my groceries. I shared up front I was an atheist. He listened politely and I covered quite a bit of ground on my worldview (I bought a lot of stuff).

He was a well-groomed 30-something latino with a couple of neck tattoos. Looked like pretty much any suburban dad (his young daughter walked over the check on him a few times, maybe 7 or 8 years old). It was a pleasant conversation, but I could tell he was listening for an opening. At some point as I was saying I thought that claims of revealed knowledge were nonsense, because no one knows, he said, "Aha! You do believe because you said nobody knows." It was a bit of s stretch on his part, but it was time to leave.

I like how it surprises people for someone to share their godlessness when it comes up, and that we are generally pretty well versed in religious apologetics. He repeated the invite, but I told him I don't attend such gatherings because I wouldn't want to make anyone there uncomfortable by my rejecting their faith view as relevant to my own life. Earlier he alluded to how God turned his life around, and he looked in a good place currently so I wished him and his family well.

Encounters like that are probably why the Jehovah's Witnesses no longer come to my door. 🙄

WilliamCharles 8 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Watching more vids by Dr. Carrier brings up some lectures/debates with William Lane Craig due to the fact that my YouTube is set to autoplay. I am reminded of just how threadbare and often vacuous I consider the arguments put forth by Craig are, particularly as he considers these some of his strongest. I also chafe at his style, which to me comes off as smoothly disingenuous like he's in sales (which he is) coupled with an undeserved arrogance.

I saw him debate ACLU lawyer Eddie Tabash at Pepperdine on Secular Humanism vs, Christianity (linked here: [allthedebates.blogspot.com] )

Additionally, Craig has shown up in my YouTube ads with a fairly specious ontological argument for the existence of God. I also get many PragerU vids which consist of sophmoric defenses of various pet conservative viewpoints. These come up most often in conjunction with watching Graham Elwood's Political Vigilante podcasts. I let them play through because Graham says that is actually one way to support the show because of how YouTube monetizes programs (and if I'm not mistaken, gets paid for by Prager).

I think Richard's excellent piece will be lost on religious fundamentalists as they reject the idea of using rational thought.

Thanks for the link.

Dr. Carrier is a gem and his books great resources. I was lucky enough to have lunch with him a few years back and he is an interesting guy.

Very cool. I've often felt that by the nature of their work, they're kind of like very approachable rock stars. When apologists want to try to sell me on their God/religion, to cut to the chase I say to them, "Tell me who your champions are." Whether I'm familiar with them or not (quite often I am), they're usually pretty mediocre if not downright delusional.

Our team however, is loaded with talent and we have a very deep bench to boot. Dr. Carrier is definitely an incredible talent and educator. I love his cheerful enthusiasm in dispelling these persistent appeals to irrationality.

I've read some of his articles before, but don't think I've heard any of his lectures prior. I very much like his easy going speaking style, peppered with appropriate mild expletives here and there as part of the philososphical ruminations (maybe God is just an asshole... lol), and willingness to call out religionist BS.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:459977
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.