Agnostic.com

26 12

I'm an Atheist... Soo, Should I Feel Stressed Out?

I was in training this week, and this year featured Stress Vulnerability and Stress Reduction training. This was a nice thought in & of itself, but...

The tests as presented have a definite religious bias. For example... in the category of "stressful events", a "change in religious activities" within the past 12 months rates 19 points. Divorce only rates 73. I find it hard to believe that giving up going to Mass is that stressful.

And on the survey to determine my vulnerability to stress (higher numbers are worse), I score only 1 point on the total if I always "get strength from my religious beliefs", but am penalized a full 5 if I never turn to religion. This makes no sense to me. I feel less stressed not having to abide by the dictates of a fictional, invisible person in "Heaven" and much less stressed because I don't worry about going to "Hell" after I die.

I pointed this out to our trainer, who replied that many people get comfort from their belief in God. "That's true," said I. "I suppose there are people who get comfort from believing in the Easter Bunny, too. What does that matter? Your test is telling me that because I'm an atheist and don't have any religious beliefs to 'get strength from', I'm automatically more stressed. That measurement doesn't belong on the quiz. It's not objective." And his reply was... to change the subject.

Not only am I not more stressed because I'm an atheist, I also find that I enjoy confounding religious people who don't know how to defend their assumptions. This quiz and the people who wrote it simply assume that religion reduces stress; that it's a needed thing. But they're wrong. And the entertainment involved in bursting their balloons is as good for reducing stress as anything...

Paul4747 8 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Since the society itself is predominately religious, it is quite common to find such things influenced by the religious motif and oft not considered by the compiler, who holds the same or similar bias.

This is why it is important for folks like us who do not hold to such unfounded beliefs to point out the flaws in their assumptions because for centuries we have been a minority with no voice and during that time the religion colored the entire society with it's religious assumptions.

As an atheist, I feel much more at peace with myself tyan I did as a believer. I know what I believe and why and am fully comfoetable with it!

Fighting these fools soon gets just tiring but I agree with what you said.

What could be more stressful than trying to please a damanding non-communicative invisible being who threatens you with eternal torment? Being free of such nonsense is stress relieving to be sure.

yes but then you always knew religious people wouldnt stop to consider an alternative that s what religion is a closed mind - I live in Northern Ireland if youre not catholic or protestant you don't even exist

Yup. they just do not know what to do to us !!! Been there. You can see their brains whirring.

Yes, I’d have to say that besting zealots at their own game is both gratifying and liberating as an equalizer.

The stress I receive from being an atheist is akin to that which Eddie Albert’s character experienced on the ‘60s TV show, “Green Acres”. His character was, of course, completely sane, but it’s the eccentricity and illogic of those whom surrounded him which made him feel as though he was losing his mind.

Yes, I can manage in the world just fine, but how much nicer (...and, less stressful) it would be to simply circumvent potential pitfalls of non-acceptance from those who wield control over certain aspects and avenues of our lives using religion (such as, for example, the supervisor at work who may call to have us all bow our heads in group prayer in the name of his/her own particular faith).

To disingenuously perform like a clapping seal in order to maintain the security of one’s job makes even the most faithful and dedicated employee out to be an unwilling liar. It is probably more difficult to combat this sort of discriminatory behavior in small towns where jobs are infinitely more scarce than in the larger cities.

So the point schedule is the higher the # the less stressful? And change of religious activities is rated as more stressful than divorce? Did I read that right?
Bad test.

Also, good things create cortisol too. It's why some can seem to have it all then check out permanently. Some people process cortisol less efficiently than others.

I'm sorry, there were actually two different charts. I didn't make that clear enough. One is a "life events stress analysis", and the other is a "stress vulnerability test". Both rate high numbers as "more stress" than low, but it's done in a weird way. For example, on the stress test, if you "always" get 6-8 hours of sleep, you score a low number for stress risk.

The religious activity change is rated as 1/3 as stressful as a divorce (19 vs 73). I think that's taking your religion too seriously.

Relax! Most people are religious, and their religion can be a great source of stress or comfort. You are stressing because of your Atheism. There is no real difference.

These types of things are so frustrating. And apparently, immutable. Congrats on your self-awareness, though!

Love your Easter Bunny comment !!! So true. And so condescending to think that because we have no invisible friend, we have no resources or back up to our lives. Sigh......

Tilia Level 7 Apr 29, 2018

I went to an atheist thing here in Dallas, and shockingly at the time they sang religious melodies with anti-Christian lyrics. That turned me into an agnostic, I don’t want to preach anti-religion, I’m good with whatever anyone wants to believe as long as they don’t push it on me. Granted many religions feel the MUST push it.

Most of these tests are discreditied lookii it up online Myers Briggs is the worst I think but they are all pointless and do not take anything real into account like ho wwell you can do the task in hand.

This doesn't sound like a standard test - usually the questions would be more generic, and I don't think I've seen one that mentions religion, even though i haven't seen them all. This one sounds made up by the company or training dept.

@ThinkKate I actually brought the paperwork home, it was written up by my department's Ordnance Unit (which seems an odd choice, but I guess that's the technical name of the training division, since I'm in law enforcement).

You've identified one of many examples of how difficult it can be to escape the grip of false assumptions about what is so and what is not. Many atheist/agnostic people reject notions about the existence of gods and believe that by doing so, 'the work is over'.

Gods are only one of the ways in which various kinds of elitists cooperate in manipulating and exploiting people with false beliefs. This is why politics is paired with 'religion' as a hot topic to be avoided in polite social company. Both employ belief systems requiring emotional and often financial investments. Both set doctrinal boundaries on those who wish to claim them as part of individual identity. Both kinds of systems require checking critical reasoning and criticism at the door or risk being vilified as 'one of those people' by the corraled minds within.

Another false, in my view, set of doctrines consists of the assumption that males are supposed to be the leaders in families and societies, when women are obviously better prepared for both and often fullfil those vital leadership roles while deprived of recognition for it. This crazy notion of men heading anything and possessing natural authority over women has infused thinking in religion, politics and societies dominated by them in spite of recent improvements in understanding over the last century. If there ARE to be a majorities of one sex in any kind of executive or representation roles, women are better equipped as a group to occupy them.

We have all but done away with the natural familial structure of close, extended and interelated family support. Families seldom live close to one another, are often widely dispersed and erstwhile participation in child and household care by siblings for one another, uncles/aunts and grandparents has practically vanished. Children are now largely left in the care of paid strangers; lacking the important sense fo belonging and benefits of affection from extended families. It is especially harmful leaving young children unable to understand that mom or dad will return for them and when. Toddlers need close contact and fostering of security during early stages of emotional development that strangers aren't in a position to provide.

Rejection of gods is a start but self and societal responsibility to examine values adopted by routine rather than choice is far from complete. If we are determined to improve our own lives and society overall, there is no substitute for xample, the best teacher, and it can only be demonstrated by coinciding beliefs.

Definite bias there. Maybe you should voice opinions to Human Resources. I'd contact FFRF or ACLU if it affects your employment.

Good news there is, it's a completely voluntary survey and nobody but me reads the result, if I even take it. I'm probably the only one in the group who even read it, to tell you the truth... but I'm thinking of contacting the training division and making them aware that the people they buy their materials from are out of touch.

Oh for goodness sake America wake up! This one nation under God is ridiculuos. If God exiisted he or she would have given up on you yeras ago. Trillions of dollars spent on the industrial military junta, trillions more lost through tax breaks for 1% of your population but you can't afford free health care for all! As for relgion reducing stress. NO IT DON'T, at least in America, it just makes you feel guilt and that is not good for stress. Next time a tele-evangalist asks you for a donation send him or her a bomb instead!

Simple solutions for simple minds (not yours - the theists). Sometimes I wish I could believe in God. It would make things simpler.

For a "Believer" going through the "accidental" process of religious change (from Moslem to Protestant or Christian to Atheist) it could be much more stressful than "19".

I hope you didn't pay for that "training"!

Nope, it's a day at work for me... and less stressful than a normal day of work when all is said and done.

I don't know if stress without the religious crutch is worse or better. Relying on a deity to feel better seems like it's pseudo relief while actual breathing and exercise is tangible and provides numerous other benefits.

Religion is only non-stressful if you never question it and zombie your way through life. If you spend your life trying to reconcile all the contradictions and trying to figure out why God didn't give you what you prayed for, or if you have enough faith, or if you and your loved ones are going to heaven or hell, it can be very stressful. Believers have nervous breakdowns, you know.

You are right, the test is biased and most likely written by a Christian. I also agree religion does not belong there. I found just sitting in church services and listening to the preaching of what I see as bull shit stressful and then the expectation for me to give up money in an envelope. LAst time I slipped a note in place of money. "Give up worshipping your false God if you want true happiness in life."

I was a little stressed out when I became an atheist. There were a number of times I wanted a cigarette so badly. I couldn't stand it. it's 7 years since I had a cigarette. I got through it by medatation and talking to a helpful person I met on this web site. You will get through it and find a new source of strength to help you.

I find I have less stress and worry as a non-believer than I ever did before. I also, find religious people to be far bigger worriers. Some fear Sin so much that they are constantly doubting their own actions and reaffirming their beliefs and trying to hide from natural urges like sex. They worry constantly about anything and everything, constantly praying or seeking prayers from others.

When in training, especially with regards to the workplace, these days you need to be aware of what the trainers are really looking for. You may think that the questions are inappropriate, but I am really concerned, as you were, about the religious questions. You cannot be discriminated against, at least in the US, because of your religion. However, even though your employer can't ask you questions about marital status, religion, and a number of other things on an employment application, it certainly seems perfectly innocent to involve those very items in a "stress reduction training" class, doesn't it?

I have attended at least a hundred fifty training classes of different types during my career, and have even created a dozen or so training classes myself. This seems fishy to me. How long did they actually spend on stress reduction techiques?

that you are entertained by engaging in conflict with others lies the problem.

Sheesh, there's always one.

The questioner may have changed the subject as it might have only then dawned on them it was inappropriate.

Always one what, one person who doesn’t feel the need to validate their position by antagonizing others? Yeah, I guess that would be me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46182
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.