Agnostic.com

14 11

An interesting humanist view on some ancient religions

There's a real interesting perspective on vedic (veda based) beliefs that's fitting for this site. Bear with me for a moment and I believe you'll agree.

As you probably know a few billion people in the world hold a set of beliefs based somehow upon the vedas. These "vedas" are a set of works by ancient scholars dating back thousands of years. The vedas are just 4 in number, but each contains sections that roughly emulate the history of ancient eastern beliefs.

Specially you have the brahmanas, the samhitas, the aranyakas, and the upanishads. The samhitas and brahmanas provide very specific rituals as well as stories to explain the concepts behind them. The aranyakas were specific guidelines to follow during different periods of life. And the last section, the upanishads, was the scholarly portion that explained their beliefs of existence.

What's interesting about this is how those sections relate to a social history of man in that portion of the world. Those rituals (brahmanas) described how simple human groups were expected to conduct themselves. Conduct was very specifically described for early groups of previous hunter-gatherers.

The samhitas explained things more by answering questions and showing examples in story. It also led devotional worship of different gods. Still ritualistic but now more advanced and questioning.

The aranyakas just furthered the lessons of the samhitas but refined for use as individuals grew older and life-goals changed.

In the upanishads they literally blew the lid off everything and gave the reasons behind the rituals. Here they supported the concept of ishta-devata wherein they admitted it was more a matter of the personal devotion than the god. This philosophical commentary acknowledged the possibility of no gods at all and proceeded to explain our existence through science and logic.

This is why modern hindu beliefs range from heavily devotional, single deity groups (ritualistic like the Abrahamic beliefs) to loosely organized, numerous deity groups (various hindu schools of different deva stories) and ending with groups that don't believe in any deity and work on seeking truth in science and reasoning (upanishads at end of vedas AKA "vedantic" ).

So the agnostic or atheist portion of the vedas would be the upanishads. Here they admit it's a mythos and what matters is the science that shapes reality. This is why so many agnostics and atheists are drawn to Buddhism because it breaches that 4th wall and says "here's the guy behind the curtain and it's you". The Buddha contemplated those same upanishads and wrote his views from the dhammapada based on them. Hindus actually consider Buddhism a nastika hindu belief (against a portion of the vedas but otherwise vedic). Many even consider Buddha to have been the 9th avatar of their god Vishnu. But Buddhists and vedantists have no deity ... relying instead on science and human nature for their beliefs.

All this is to say don't dismiss the final portion of the vedas, those upanishads, because they hold MUCH in common with modern secular philosophy.

JeffMesser 8 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion was used as law until civil and criminal law were created which enabled the religious leaders immunity to circumvent the law, instead of showing undue bias towards their crimes against other faiths!!!

I've studied them, and dismissed them.
It was part of my pilgrimage, looking for meaning in a world where there is no meaning that I don't assign even if I assign it by accepting someone else's word for what's meaningful.
There's newer information and ideas, I don't need to go back thousands of years, after all if they had it right then why is their society divided by an unfair caste system.
Looking back for answers that aren't a question of historical accuracy is a huge mistake.
However enlightened you think these people were, we have them beat hands down.

This is certainly interesting from an anthropology perspective. These are parts of eastern thought and culture that we are not overly versed in. Having said that, outside of being interesting, I am not sure it adds any value. Don’t get me wrong, accepting and embracing secularism from all sources is always a good thing. But frankly, the sources themselves, whether 4 years or 4000 years old seems irrelevant.

A good example of our creative ingenuity & imagination. Such is literature.

I think the history of these groups is interesting from the aspect of the "beliefs ". Humans have a way of trying to control one another. It is called groups. "Hey, believe in my group" or "our group is better, join in our beliefs". Groups can foster inequality rather quickly. We all like feeling safe. It can be used against us.

Is there a group called the bullshitas, because to try to make sense out of bullshit will always result in more bullshit.

I'd prefer that you just stay away from my threads because you are rude.

@JeffMesser who made you king of this site?

@Mofo1953 as I said you're rude and I'd appreciate it if you'd just leave. I don't wanna read your anger.

I agree with Jeff Messer, who wrote good, detailed explanations. I have read both the Upanishads and various Buddhist text translations. They do not believe in "god(s)." For you to say this explanation is BS indicates only that you are extremely RUDE, and that you should leave, rather than spread your hate. This explanation adds value to my appreciation of philosophies like Vedanta and and Buddhism, which neither proselytize nor believe in personal "god(s)." Perhaps you should proselytize yourself as "god," because you are as offensive as any religion. Since you choose to remain ignorant about the main point of this discussion (disbelief in gods), and believe you know everything in existence already, how about you just leave, as I said several times.

@JeffMesser get over yourself. Answer is no.

@JeffMesser, @AnonySchmoose you call it rude, I call it direct and to the point. Bullshit is just a word that means to write or say nonsense.

@Mofo1953 when it comes to social conduct YOU don't get to define it. that's determined by the people around you. it's perceptual. Had you read the vedas or taken an epistemology class you'd understand. Instead you just choose to be rude when you have been asked (kindly I might add) to leave. Now, one last time, please remove yourself from my threads. You aren't welcome here.

@Mofo1953 Point taken. I still think you missed the point of this post. "But Buddhists and vedantists have no deity ... relying instead on science and human nature for their beliefs .... All this is to say don't dismiss the final portion of the vedas, those upanishads, because they hold MUCH in common with modern secular philosophy." As an example of open-mindedness, the Dalai Lama commented, "If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims." He also said, "However the tea is prepared, the primary ingredient is always water. While we CAN live without tea, we CAN'T live without water. Likewise, we are born free of religion, but we are not born free of the need for compassion."

I did not intend to single you out for being rude, as many others on this discussion revile the post's explanation as being BS basically the same as you. My words were meant as much for them as for you. If you haven't studied non-religious vedanta or non-religious buddhism, you may not understand that they are simple philosophies of human nature, and thus also of cause and effect. These philosophies do not proselytize. Therefore, I must say the amount of hatred and vitriol on this post was an eye-opener to me. I was not raised with any religion or any spirituality. My parents loved Bertrand Russell and Richard Dawkins and other philosophers. My interest in buddhism, and now vedanta springs from an interest in spirituality and compassion, which I never took as being any woo-woo imitation of religion, but more a form of meditation, and methods of training my mind to control itself, much like I learned from cognitive behavioral therapy. That is why I criticized your comments. Still, I am able to understand where you and others may be coming from though I reacted as I did.

@AnonySchmoose thank you so much for your extensive, and very calm, and respectful explanation. I'm an atheist, definitively, possibly even a devout one (take that as it comes), but like you, the venom, and vitriol, in the replies posted here has surprised me. At no point did I see @JeffMesser say "hey guys, let's all adopt The Vedas belief system". I found this to be a well-written essay examining the thoughts, and ideas of those in the past who may have had some insight. Not stating that they were correct necessarily, but examining parallels with more modern secular thought. Thanks to both of you, and keep up the good thought.

@OnTheInside No problem.

Extremely thought-provoking. If I understand correctly, were the upanishads the final stage of The Vedas belief system? Or were they merely different sect?
What I'm getting at, is it looks like the 'belief systems' were created to guide and to a great extent control younger generations. With an acceptance that it is possible through wusdom for some to become enlightened. As well as accepting the fact that most will never be able to think and need to be controlled.
That is close to a very uncomplicated blueprint of my thoughts on how and why the Catholic religion was created. As well as being a great deal kinder, involving a lot less murder.
It's nice to see enlightenment in the past, or at least the chance of it, especially when there seems to be so little in the present 🤪

yep. the upanishads are the scholarly, philosophic portion of the vedas located at the end of the Rigveda, Artharaveda, Samaveda, and Yajurveda.

Eastern religion is no different than western religion. Both are human made religious. The vedas are 4000 years old, I think they are in need of a update for modern times.

was there something in the very well-researched essay above that you didnt understand regarding the differences?

@JeffMesser
Stuff written 4000 years ago does not apply to modern times. The caste system is out of date. The caste system is about controlling people. All religions were made up by humans to control humans.

@xenoview well, let's see ...

1. things written 4,000 yrs ago most certainly have bearing on human beings today.
  2. the caste system was merely a method for determining dharma. the vedas also contain zoning laws and ways to wear ones' hair. of course it can be updated. that's the whole reason for the puranas and the items that have become itihasa.
  3. of course it's about controlling people. no shit. duh.
  4. the difference here is what I wrote above which you obviously didnt read or just refused to acknowledge.

@JeffMesser
Do you think their gods are real? If so, provide objective evidence that any one of them is real.

That's fascinating, and wonderfully concise. Here's something that's not directly related but has puzzled me. Kant alludes to a evolutionary progress in the development of human reason from polytheism to monotheism when he says:

This supreme cause we then proceed to regard as absolutely necessary, inasmuch as we find it absolutely necessary that we should ascend to it, and find no ground for passing beyond it. And thus, in all peoples, there shine amidst the most benighted polytheism some gleams of monotheism, to which they have been led, not by reflection and profound speculation, but simply by the natural bent of the common understanding, as step by step it has come to apprehend its own requirements.

Jordan Peterson did a great job of explaining the dynamics of the process in one of his videos when he explained the totality of godship being gathered up in the character of Marduk. What puzzles me is why so many millions of people did not progress to monotheism in the clear way that people did in the West and still worship such a multitude of gods to this day.

I have noticed in this and a previous post that you either misrepresent or misunderstand what science is. There is no religion in science and there is no science in religion - any attempt to synthesise the two is simply uncritical thinking. I see Christians, Muslims and the New Age gurus doing it all the time and it's utterly bogus. Even Buddhism, to its great shame, sometimes goes there - claiming that the subjective examination of mental states is somehow empirical. I'm not looking to create a spat - if you're happy with your vedas, that's no skin off anybody's nose, but don't start making claims about science.

fair enough. my assumption is that cause-and-effects with an explainable physical origin are science and those without are mystical. please correct my error.

@JeffMesser Sceience is the use of logic and reasoning to create and test hypothesis that will brig us close to observations of reality.

Science does not explain anything, it just tells you how wrong can you be if you follow that explanation.

Plus using statistics and some nice tricks to put biases out of the experiments, science brings us nice methods to test how far from the truth we are.

This is the difference between science and other "knowledge systems".

In all systems you find reasons to say you are right, in science you try to prove you are not and then discover how far you are. And this method makes us get close tot he truth faster than any other.

@Pedrohbds perhaps like this?
[sunypress.edu]

@Pedrohbds faster? and when was the renaissance compared to when math and physics were introduced in SE Asia??

@JeffMesser math is as old as civilization, also basic physics.
BUT the scientific method was only really formalized and started to be standard for studies in the beginning of 1600's.
In these 400 years we multiplied exponentially our knowledge production.

And this development can happen in a religious environment, but they are independent of the religion.
You don't tell that digital equipment are analogical just because the first digital equipment were created using analogical components.

Same for science and rfeligion, there was nothing else than religion, so science could only be born there.

But what religion failed in produce for thousands of years of civilization (to be honnenst, they did a lot, but was painfully slow), science did in a few centuries.

What you are doing is repeating the mantra of the hindu populists in India, It is the same speech of the "inteligent design" in USA. All religion trying to pose as equal as science.

Science does not atgue it is correct, and if you need to argue that it is correct, it is not.
Results show it is correct. Evolution is correct and precise, we can even forsee mutations and develop vaccines ahead and be correct in most of times (yes, flu shots are actually preparing you for a virus that did not existed when the vaccines were made).

Cars work, we went to space, we produce more food. Those things tells that the scientific method works.

Even if in some ways to interpret a text from ancient age you can see some distorted shape of scientific method, then is the method, does not matter where it comes from. But if it is not equal to the method, then... well. Show me the results.

@Pedrohbds you didnt read any of that did you? Perhaps Swami Tadatmananda can explain it to you because you're not seeing the forest of epistemology for the trees.

@JeffMesser question: WTH do you have to wear a diaper to be a swami?

@AnneWimsey the idea is to have as few material possessions as possible.

@JeffMesser I get that, but surely an actual diaper is Weird...how about just a bathing suit?

@AnneWimsey it's a piece of linen cloth wrapped in the manner that has been done for 2,500 years +

Very compelling!

Yes, but if I am the guy behind the curtain why am I concerned with all this? Why would I care to even be involved? I can see where I am today in thought and belief as compared to when I was much younger but I have no ritual to do in order to see this or continue to follow it.

why would I want to control how people act in groups? I thought that was intuitively obvious.

@JeffMesser One would hope that this would eventually be the case

Nice, maybe its time to write the book!

I’ll wait for the movie

Very interesting. Quite related to everything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:462886
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.