Agnostic.com

20 19

Finished sewing a suede vest. What do you think?

The vest is washable suede and fully lined. It's nice and warm. I added the 3-1/2" band at the bottom because the pattern was too short.

Karen asked me to cover her dog toys with leftover suede fabric. "I don't think Bonnie's teeth can pierce it," she said. At $25/yard, no way.

I'll use leftover suede to make travel jewelry pouches for my daughter and friends.

Sewing buttonholes are like making pancakes. The first one is a flop, and they get better as you go. So, I practiced and started making buttonholes from the bottom. Ha!

Can't tell if it's frumpy or flattering. What do you think?

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Looks great.

Being the farthest thing from a fashion maven, I've no idea if it's stylish. It looks very nice to my uneducated eye. Would you consider it everyday wear or something more formal?

@bigpawbullets

@bigpawbullet's

Since junior high, I have always dressed simply with clean lines and solid colors. It's more elegant. Started sewing my own clothes in 7th grade.

The clean, curving lines of the vest are appropriate for all occasions. Love the soft, buttery fabric and rich gray. It will go with pants and skirts.

Last year, women's blazers were cluttered with zippers, flounces and buckles in stores. Tacky.

Instead I sewed a black, stretchy corduroy blazer that fits me perfectly. Made of cotton and lycra, it is breathable and stretchy. Cost me $25 instead of $200-plus in stores.

Sewing allows me to tailor clothes to fit. I have ridiculously long arms, wide shoulders, long waist, flat chest and a narrow waist and hips.

Instead of buying an $800-$4,000 mother-of-the bride-dress, I made one for $32 in 2018.

@LiterateHiker My wife would love you. She made nearly all our children's clothes and many of her own in her younger days. She still indulges herself from time to time. Sewing, knitting, tapestry, embroidery. Our house walls are festooned with her output.
It did help, of course, that from the day our first child was born only I went out to work whilst she stayed at home.

@Petter

Wonderful! Love creative, artistic people. I would love your wife, too.

I also sewed daughter Claire's clothes from age five to 11, when she wanted store-bought clothes.

Like me, Claire is long-waisted and runs hot. In kindergarten, she got a yeast infection from wearing her snow pants in class, so she wouldn't miss precious recess time. The doctor suspected sex abuse. Her dad and I were horrified.

That's when I began making Claire cotton, breathable clothes with sturdy, deep pockets. Added an inch from waist to crotch.

Matching scrunchies for her ponytail. Halloween costumes and the same costume for her doll.

"Mama, I love falling asleep to the sound of your sewing machine," Claire said at eight.

@LiterateHiker Part of her output. I used to buy old, damaged furniture on auctions, then restore them, as a hobby. Lesley made tapestries for some.

@Petter
Very nice work! Linda & I do similar projects.
I knew I liked you! 😄

@bigpawbullets It takes one to know one!

@Petter

Beautiful work! Wow.

@LiterateHiker Thank you. That's why we had to get larger and larger houses. We needed more wall space and more floor area!
As it is, a lot of her output is stored in our garage, reducing it from a 2 car space to a 4 bicycle space - and even those hang from the roof!

Perhaps your next project could be to create some suede boots? My suede Safari boots are wonderful for walking about in.
.... or do you think this suggestion is a load of cobblers? 🤣🤣😂

Looks good on you, and should keep you wonderfully warm.
$25 a yard would be cheap if the roll were 4 yards wide, but expensive were the roll one foot wide.
So, was this a price per square yard?

@Petter

It was 2 yards for the vest. $50.

@LiterateHiker 2 yards long, but how wide?

@Petter

The suede fabric was the standard 45" wide. Some fabrics are 60" wide.

Because the suede fabric has a nap, I had to cut out every piece with the nap going down. This took more fabric. Plus, I went back and bought more fabric to add the 3-1/2" band at the bottom.

@LiterateHiker Got it. So the suede cost you $20 per square yard. Thanks. I can now put my plodding, pedantic mind to rest. 😘

Looks great. My size is...

Set your mind at ease, it looks very professional. Ya done good.

Caption; "And look, I didn't sew my fingers together this time"!

Looks good for mid season bushwalking. 🙂

@Cyklone

I have wash-and-dry hiking vests. This one is not for hiking.

@LiterateHiker fashionable hiking? 🤣

What can be said that has not already been said to you , Another one of your master pieces , but i like the words said before ,elegant and classy

@RoyMillar

Thank you so much!

Bravo! Very interesting!

Great job. Wish you were closer. My cousin loves purple so I made us matching jackets.

MizJ Level 8 Feb 28, 2020

@MizJ

Thank you. The purple jacket is interesting.

Flattering. You'd have to be a frump to look frumpy, and you don't qualify.

@Fit-50something

Hilarious! Thank you.

It looks great. If i remember right you were worried about the drape and you were thinking about taking it to a taylor. Did you ever do that or did you finish it yourself?

@19dacar52

I finished it myself. Thank you.

@LiterateHiker Awesome!

It's nice. Good job!

i don't sew but it looks well crafted

Very well constructed and duriable.

Beautiful good work

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 28, 2020

@bobwjr

Thank you. It's one of the hardest project I sewed.

Sewing buttonholes are like making pancakes. The first one is a flop, and they get better as you go.

So, I started making buttonholes from the bottom. Ha!

It looks great on you! I love it.

@Cutiebeauty

Thank you, dear.

@LiterateHiker oh my gosh.. you called me dear! I'll love you forever!

@Cutiebeauty
LH is quite obviously your "Agnostic-Mom".
😄

@bigpawbullets I would love it if she were mom, we are so alike!

Conservative. Elegant.

@BitFlipper

Thank you so much! I appreciate your saying it looks elegant.

Most definitely flattering. Excellent stitching. I agree with your friend about her dogs though. 🙂

@OnTheInside

Thanks for the compliment.

Very funny!

I am not going to let a dog chew up $25/yard suede fabric.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:465017
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.