What type of home do you prefer?

• 58 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
Marine 8 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The one I'm building now. A Ranch house surrounded by woods no neighbors no mortgage.

@Keyboard-Mama
I highly recommend it. Good for you. Marriage should have land on the gift list.
Or
Women should buy an acre or two and marry carpenters. Too bad we don't make carpenters anymore. It's very nice not living with a mortgage payment

I like a house with plenty of land around it. I like to be private thus the land.

Owning a house is no fun as a single person. Lots of work and money, for a space you want to get out of often. I loved owning a house when I was married and raising a kid, but no more. Plus, there is nothing sweeter than waking up on a snowy winter morning to the sound of someone else shoveling the walk... 😉

I live in what is described as a cottage, a little grandiose really, but I like it here so I vote for cottage 🙂

funny you should say that, my immediate thought was cottage, but it wasn't an option.

@Rugglesby Yep, cottage. Mine is called The Middle Cottage. Because it's in a row of 3.

I have a house, so I guess that's what I prefer. We'll see if I still feel the same way once I start dealing with all the things on this old house that need to be fixed.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 30, 2018

None of the above. I prefer a well found sailing vessel of sufficient size to cross all the oceans of the world. That would be my ideal home. However, that hasn't been a possibility in these later years and I now live in a small home in the middle of a desert at the beginning of tornado alley.

I would love to live on a sailing vessel. I have insomnia, but I can imagine being rocked to sleep by the waves. I've been on two different ones, but one on Lake Erie, and one on Lake Champlain. I think I have good sealegs, as I took a ferry from Scotland to Northern Ireland. It was a choppy ride, but I was able to navigate the pitching without pitching my lunch. I was born inland and have always felt that the stork dropped me in the wrong place.

Been there and it can really be rough in bad weather

@Marine -- Ha! That's my favorite. It is then one feels alive. And, no, I'm not trying to sound macho here. I love being at sea and storms, though tough, are just part of the environment. I've experienced storms at sea in everything from a 30' sloop to the Ranger. I preferred the sloop. No flight deck to get blown off of -- LOL.

I want either to rent a condo or townhouse. My only stipulation is it must havemy own little backyard area and small deck. I want my dog to be able to have his own greenspace, and space for me to garden and sit out with a drink and enjoy it. I want someone else to provide maintenance and upkeep.

LizL Level 5 Mar 31, 2018

A nice compact house in the country side with good wifi so that i can post on this forum
Just imagine if i find a partner on this site and we both contribute to the forum wow will be awesome

Rosh Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

I'm an apartment person. I like smaller spaces and the option of packing up and leaving after a year free and clear.

I like the tiny house movement but would also like something in the 350-400 sq foot area versus the less than 200 that some are advocates of.

I grew up in a trailer, so I hate the tiny house movement. I understand the concept, but to me it will always be a scam to con people out of property, while the rich people move in and snatch it up. I think it's a brainwashing technique designed to condition people to accept less. Not the rich people, of course.

give me a garden and i will not disturb you !

Keep it simple!

House.

Keeping my house. Have someone to watch it when I travel.

Now that I’m single definitely condo/townhome. I dislike yard work and detest shoveling snow. I’m in an apartment now because I’ll most likely move after my youngest graduates next year. I was too scared to purchase something knowing I’d only be in this city for 2 years. Who knows what’s going to happen with the economy with the Cheeto in office

When I win Mega Millions tonight, my new home will be on 14 wheels. I think 14.

One that I can afford.

Any one of these choices can be a home.

I finally have a house. It the first house I have lived in since my parent's house that I grew up in. I lived i a condo (technically a townhouse) for the last 27 years, a duplex before that and apartments before that. The townhouse was great and served me well, but it was all that I could afford living in Los Angeles even making a good salary. Now I have a nice, single story ranch house in a quiet neighborhood in eastern San Diego. This is way better.

Preferably one sans neighbors

I am very happy where I live. It's goofy, weird, whacky. I have a mixed bag of awesome and disturbing around me at all times.

A small house that is super energy efficient and has a big yard for dogs to run around.

Monad Level 4 Apr 3, 2018

I completely agree with DiceDiceBaby. Owning a house when you are single is a nightmare. After divorce, it cost me a massive amount of time to keep it clean. Last year I was changing the eavestrough, soffit, and fascia around my house, which was really hard without help. I even approached the construction company to help me with replacements, because it cost too long to replace the eavestrough in my room. Besides the construction issues, cleaning a big house when you are single is very hard, and I called the cleaning company. Now I am considering selling my house and buying a good apartment in NY.

Live-in land vehicle would also be a good option, in addition to sailing ship. Yurt/ger, tipi, geodesic dome... I know I'm leaving more out.

If I could guarantee that my cats wouldn't accidentally get tossed overboard, I'd love to live on a sailing ship.

Next best, a Class B RV, as eco-friendly as possible I had just left a beloved cat behind with an acquaintance (big mistake) when I met someone at a pull-off near a highway who lived with cats on a bus. It was fun to see them all running out when the door was opened, and amazing to watch them all come running when called.

I have a friend who sucessfully does it with five cats. She manages her cats' needs by creating lots of vertical spaces, hidey holes, and stopping where its safe to let them out. They come when called. I have great admiration for her, as she's completed most of the repairs herself, and installed a solar panel.

Being semi-nomadic when I was younger, I've lived in everything on the list. I loved the freedom of a tent and the most necessary of possession, but I also love having family heirlooms of deceased relatives around me now.

People are repurposing so many things. Barns, buses, and vans are oldies, but also missile silos, windmills, barracks, shopping malls, even old castles. I've seen live-in tree houses, and also saw a cave turned into a house.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46546
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.