Agnostic.com

27 4

Ever done things to please others?

Have you ever done something against your will or better judgement because someone asked you to? Something dangerous or embarrassing simply because they wanted you to? How'd it work out for you?

jamessmithwick 6 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I could fill this fucking post up if I answered truthfully and thoroughly... 😟

This is an painful question for people like me who are adult children of alcoholics. I became the Family Hero: responsible, achiever, independent, leader, organized. A people pleaser. Inside I felt painfully insecure and inferior.

"I got a master degree to prove to my dead father that I'm smart," I joked in my 30's. Humor, the great deflector.

"I am a recovering perfectionist," I say. Still have pockets of perfectionism, like sewing. I learned to say no. At last I say "Ouch" when somone says something hurtful. Sometimes I take on too much because I didn't say no.

Now I say clearly what I want and need. Set clear boundaries. I am green and growing.

Yes. I am a recovering doormat.

@goldenvalleyguy i took their likes to be their way of saying they relate.

@goldenvalleyguy working on it🙂

My entire life, but i have recently taken a big step in a better direction and i am proud of me!

I can't give any examples but I know I have. I have also learned to be more confident amd assertive. It's a work in progress.

I used to be a people pleaser. I'm trying not to be. It's hard. I hate it.

@Katastrophe1969 Thanks.

I was married to a narcissist sociopath. He often manipulated me into violating my boundaries and sacrificing my well-being for his benefit. It was a lot of years of misery.

@lacrossa1228 yep. I came to believe that I was ok with knowing I would never have anything I wanted as long as I was with him, that I was ok with living my life to make him happy. In hindsight, it took a lot of years of him telling me that’s what I should want and that if I didn’t, that I “didn’t really love him” for me to be convinced of those things.

Yes, I let my son move back in with me more times than I should have. Each time he destroyed my house, never worked and treated me like shit. Never again.

Yeah, married them (her). It didn't work.

Story of my freakin' life. It is FINALLY changing. Better late than never.

Things I've done I didn't want to do usually meant something that would totally bore me. Watching dramas and sappy love stories or such.
Later I found myself interested in those things.
Big fan of Bollywood love stories now.

No. I'm strong-willed. If I did anything dangerous or embarrassing, it's because I was doing what I wanted to do.

Now, have I ever asked anyone to do anything against their will and at least potentially embarrassing and at least little dangerous? Then, yes. Since I tend to be strong-willed and dominant, I have ways of making my lovers do what I ask. With the appropriate reward for having done so of course.

Ever been happy?

I was a people pleaser in my younger years. Not so much now that I'm wiser and more understanding of myself, more self respect. I love to please others now only if it pleases me too.

Against my will many times when I was younger, ie child, forced to do things.
Against my better judgement a few times as an adult. Glad to say it is rare now.

who hasn't?

marga Level 7 Mar 30, 2018

Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I didn't feel bad about helping the person that things didn't quite work out so well. Stupid maybe, but not regretful.

I've done a lot of things to please my wife and others that I love. But I have not done anything that was against my will or better judgement. Nothing embarrassing or dangerous. To thine own self be true comes to mind. There is a line that must be drawn, and I'm not afraid to tell others that there is a line I won't cross.

I generally will not do anything against my will. I'm able to say "no" quite effectively.
I've done, and do, things to 'please' others, but only because I WANT to.
When I was younger, I did all manner of stupid, dangerous, and embarrassing, things.
Mostly because I was young, immature, stupid, drunk, or high. Or desperately trying to
get into some guy's pants, and thought it would help.
I managed to survive all of it, so, I'd say it worked out okay.

I still do but what they will never understand is that it pleases me too.

in this case no it isn't. I hate macho bullshit. a lot of people walk through a door I've kept open because they think I'm supposed too and below them. more people don't but it doesn't stop me. I don't want to be like them.

I only agreed to date my ex if he promised to NEVER ask me to marry him, and he promised. But two years later he proposed anyway, and because, by then, he was considered a dear friend, I couldn't hurt his feelings and turn him down.

I was furious though and yelled at him, reminding him of his promise, but he just said he'd changed his mind. So I married him, and sure enough, he was a total jerk. But that's mostly because I lacked female boundaries-missing the outrage needed to keep him in line.

A real female would have let him know what was acceptable behavior, then tossed him out the door if he tried to pull something shady. Instead, male-like, I kept finding excuses to do nothing, out of sheer laziness.

Just got done commenting to a post on Bi-polar day. My ex was forced to leave nine years ago but I did things back then to please him which affect me now. Financially with him it was feast or famine in the construction/drywall business. I had a sales career and we shared bills, lived in my house which he considered his. He had me refinance my mortgage at least twice during the 10 years of the relationship. This put me being under in my mortgage. I should have paid my mortgage up to now. I have had my daughter's unofficial (5 years) inlaws move in with me to help me afford to live in my house. My daughter and bf also moved back in so if I want to travel or relcate I have the option.

Until I was 16, that seenmed to be how I was living my entire life. Habing been raised Mormon, they told me what I was supposed to want and laid otu plans for me to follow, and promised me happiness if I did what they said. My parents fell for that, along with three of my five siblings, but two ofmy siblings and I didn't.

The problem was tht hvign been told what to want for virtually all of my childhood life, it took me several years to "recover" and figure out what it was that I myself actually wanted, so I coudl live my life for myself, insted of my parents or their religion.

If someone ask me to jump of the bridge I don't hink i will jump of the bridge
Is your call no gun to your head
Why do you need to please others
Were you happy no they are selfish then
look from thier side

Rosh Level 7 Mar 31, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46808
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.