Agnostic.com

18 31

Where's my camera? A sudden shock.

"I'm going to walk above Squilchuck State Park," Karen texted me at noon. "Right now?" I replied. We agreed to meet at 1:00. It was a beautiful day.

"I forgot my camera," I said on the trail. "It's probably in the car. It's good to just enjoy being in the woods."

We hiked 5.5 miles. Scrambled uphill and down to avoid dangerous ice on the trail. "Why do I always go through thorn-bushes?" I thought ruefully. Devil's Club is noxious and painful.

"Look! My camera bag is empty!" I said after returning to the car. "I probably left the camera on the printer at home." I relaxed.

"What's that banging sound?" Karen asked after we got underway. "It started right after I drove over that bump. Will you get out and check?" She pulled over and stopped.

My camera was on top of the car! It slid against the rail. The strap was banging in the wind. Boy, did I get lucky.

The weird part is I don't remember putting the camera on the car roof. Buckled pack straps, grabbed my hiking poles and took off. Was hustling since Karen was already on the trail.

Hugged the camera all the way home.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I stopped bringing a camera on hikes after I got a smartphone, which took pictures just as good as my camera. The smartphone is lighter and more compact.

@snytiger6

Digital cameras can better handle available light and have superior ergonomics than smartphones.

Karen always has the latest Iphone. Her Iphones do not take good landscapes. Blue skies look white.

Unfortunately, smartphone photos are always blurry when I load them onto the computer.

Great photo. 🙂

I'm glad you and your camera are reunited. 🙂

Phew! I regularly have nightmares about doing things like that with my cameras or leaving them on trains!

Jnei Level 8 Mar 10, 2020

I've done something similar, 50 years ago, with a very expensive Topcon - the people who invented the SLR camera.

great picture of you and the scenery

@gigihein

Thank you. It's a rare picture that shows my camera.

@LiterateHiker I love when treasured items are found.

You must be living right

Did you create that phallic symbol you are posing with?

@nicknotes

It's a cairn to mark the summit of Sauer's Mountain.

Hikers also pile up cairns to mark the trail through talus slopes.

Cairn: a heap of stones set up as a landmark, monument, etc.

Talus slope: a slope formed especially by an accumulation of rock debris, oten large boulders.

Great...thanks for straightening out my confusion. Perhaps I just have sex on my mind....@LiterateHiker

@nicknotes

My mind runs in the gutter, too. I love funny, sexual innuendo.

My friend Kami and I loved tweaking her three teenagers.

"It was too big," one of the kids said at dinner.

"She said," I replied. Kami and I laughed uproariously. Her kids thought we were insane.

It became a running joke.

Those stacked rocks reminded me of this scene in Iceland. This area the size of several football fields where they have been stacking rocks since the time of the Vikings. It has some religious, spiritual significance.

@Dhiltong

Amazing. Have never seen anything like it.

Thanks for posting that picture.

A very similar thing happened to my cell phone. I set it on the roof of my car for just a second while I was loading stuff in. A few minutes later I heard it bump off my car onto a busy road. I got there just a little too late. I watched it get run over by another car. It's ugly but it still works. I'm using it with speech-to-text right now to send this message.

Lucky you! You are sure putting in the miles! 👍 I recall my long hike days, but they have shortened now!

I'm glad you did not loose it, I always look forward to the photos when you post about your hikes!

@19dacar52

Thank you so much!

Karen did it! She's messing with you 😄😊

@Cutiebeauty

Very funny!

I ran a Lawn Care business for extra money(single parent for one kid and paying support for 2 more)...set my small toolbox on the rear steel bumper of my truck...forgot about it...15 miles to the house...still on the bumper...good thing I don't drive fast anymore...you were lucky nobody stole it let alone have it fall off the roof or get rained or snowed on.

Lucky you were, so very happy for you

@RoyMillar

Thank you.

Yeah, really lucky.

Promise me that if the virus gets close you will stay home don't stress immune system with exposure and exercise please be careful

@bobwjr

Cardiovascular exercise builds strength and endurance. Hiking makes me feel happy.

@LiterateHiker can reduce immune if cold or a lot of strenuous exercise saw that in the army. Basic training was easy to get sick from small cold enough for overnight stay in hospital and we are older so be careful

@LiterateHiker not saying stop just slow down a little

@bobwjr

Why do you think I need to slow down? You don't know me.

As a high energy, enthusiastic person, I have fun in life.

@Capitalist nope just know medicine do you

Yes very lucky

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:468619
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.