Agnostic.com

63 12

How much respect do religious believers deserve?

I tend to respect kindhearted, compassionate believers--despite dismissing their supernatural beliefs--and to hold self-righteous, hateful bigots in contempt. I suspect many, if not most, nonbelievers would agree. My question: Where on that spectrum is the tipping point, and why? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

SteveJ 4 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't identify with religion, and I don't see religion as being part of someone's identity. My level respect for my fellow human beings is based on more substantial factors than whether or not they believe.

It's religion that I disrespect. It's nothing personal.

JimG Level 8 Mar 16, 2020

Well said

@Freespirit64 thank you.

I give Christians as much respect as they give me.

Some get a lot; others get nothing.

Amen....😉

I show respect to people until they show me they don't deserve my respect. I don't have respect for ideas, and show appropriate disrespect for wrong ideas.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 16, 2020

I try to respect them all. They are my fellow humans, regardless of their weaknesses. When it gets difficult, I remind myself that I was a victim of religion, too. I was brainwashed from infancy by my parents. It took me nearly 30 years to grow a brain and prove that religion is a scam based on a myth. When believers attempt to convert me, I answer with the facts and evidence that prove their scriptures to be hogwash. They usually abandon me when they hear my reasoning, but I cling to the hope that I planted a seed in their minds that might lead them to do their own research and discover the truth.

People, in general, deserve common respect and decent treatment. Their beliefs and opinions deserve nothing if not backed up by evidence and facts and scientific research/ study.

I need to add - too many of THEM (terrible horrible evil men), especially the evangelicals, have beliefs that do not respect the dignity of others, especially women and people of color. Those deserve shit.

They deserve as much respect as anyone else.

This has nothing to do with their religion but their intent and actions as human beings.

Proportionally as much as they respect my non belief.

Respect specifically for their beliefs? None. For being human beings? Respect is what you have to give to get. So i cannot generalize but i do try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

g

We must judge believers and non believers as individuals and not as labels. People are not institutions, there are many wonderful, loving, charitable human beings who are sincere believers of some religion or other, and I respect them and hold them in high regard. There are many others whom are “holier than thou” and show bigotry and ignorance towards some sections of the community, them I have no tolerance of. Whilst saying that, there are many non-believers who have views I don’t subscribe to either. When it comes to how I regard religions in general, I have always adopted the philosophy... Love the person, hate the institution.

As much as they respect my atheism/agnosticism...KISS😎

Love the believer but hate the belief.

As much respect as they give

They deserve as much human respect as given.

That is an excellent and uncluttered statement. Thanks.

Precisely.

Every human being deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. However, if religious people fail to oberve that principle, they erode their right to expect respect.

I respect Religious people beliefs as long as they keep them to themselves. When they try to convert me then It's a problem. I'm not for listening to preaching of an invisible sky daddy.

I show them the same respect as any other handicapped person, until they try to impart their handicap upon me.

Respect is earned not given

Respect is Respect They deserve the same respect that you would give a NON BELIEVER

alon Level 6 Mar 17, 2020

I know a couple of believers who really walk the talk, and respect them as people. I do not, however, respect their belief in a "big Daddy in the Sky."

"You have to respect people's beliefs," some say.
The easy response to this is "no, actually, beliefs do not have to be respected."

I respect your right to have them.

I respect your right to peacefully express them.

I do not respect your belief that I am an evil person.

I do not respect your belief that I am going to hell.

I do not respect brainwashing.

I do not respect cults.

I do not respect hatred, sexism or tyranny.

I do not respect your religion. And I don't have to.

And you don't have to respect my atheism.

Religious opinions are no more entitled to respect or protection than any other opinion. Human beings have rights and should be respected. Books and beliefs don't have to be respected. Ideas are not sacred. They can, and should be held up for analysis and criticism. It is in fact absurd for a person to be so profoundly offended by a harsh word said about their religion and yet insist on the right to impose their injustice and oppression on the world.

Just hitting the "thumbs up" wasn't enough. Please accept my enthusiastic cheers as well. Well said!

@AmyTheBruce Thank you!

I show everyone respect unless they act sexist, mean, racist, disrespectful or try to convert me.

As much as they give others. 😉

I tend to hold self-righteous, hateful, atheist bigots in contempt, too.

You should treat religion like rape. Respect and understanding for the victims, while you do everything you can to stop the perpetrators, and oppose any culture which fosters it.

All of it as any human. But their ideas deserve no respect. Well as much respect as you want to establish a dialog if you want it

My mother's Christian: I think she deserves every once of my respect. The point in being a rationalist is not to be an arsehole

Mayse Level 3 Mar 16, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:471176
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.