Agnostic.com

56 7

Do you like country living? For those that do, did, ? Or want to

I love living in the country. I like the solitude and feeling closer to nature. Closeness to a bigger city is important for good medical care and entertainment. Best of both worlds.

tymtravler 6 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love country living! I grew up in rural Ohio. Farm animals were my friends! I grew up gardening and canning and freezing the bounty. Today I still garden and preserve my own food but live in the city. I don't think I could ever move back to my hometown..it's Trump country, conservative and the general mentality believes the answer to today's societal problems is to either beat your kids or bring prayer back in school. What's a transplanted girl to do? I'm thinking I need to stay put where I feel I belong ?

I do miss being close to nature. I think that is the way were were supposed to live.

I do. I intend to live in a tiny house and have chickens and goats and an Alpaca named Sam

I ha ve raised chickens, ducks, and geese as pets. Have some fruit trees, grapes. I have my own steel "bowling Pin" range where I shoot 72 rounds every day the temperature is above 50 degrees (Michigan). No one complains inasmuch as almost all my neighbors are Amish and they are avid hunters and varmint shooters themselves. I catch deer, racoons, opossums, rabbits, squirrils, fox and coyotes on my trail camara. We have had several barn cats...now down to only one. I would not like to ever live in town again.

I loved to spend the summer vacations in the northern Patagonia -at my grandma's ranch. Were almost three months running on the grass, swimming in crystalline rivers and waking up yo the bluest sky...only interrupted by the Andes mountains....and all this beauty was close enough to town to be able to share a cup of hot "chocolate" with friends almost every day.

Yes, I loved to be there.

You can be so lonely in huge crowds in cities

I like the quiet and darkness of country because you can actually see stars, but I might go nuts if I'm not close to people. I guess I'm a city girl.

I think the computer threw my first post away. (There is a storm coming in & screwing up the connection.) Most of my life I lived in rural Montana. When I graduated High School I got the hell out and have not looked back for 50 years. Big cities tend to frighten me but once I figure out the possibilities they all offer I like them. Small towns can be very nice especially if you love the out doors. Unfortunately they often come to be dominated by narrow factions. Not long ago I left a town near the infamous Idaho panhandle. The area has been bullied into submission by far right racists demanding to carry their guns openly every where. If not for the snow you might mistake the area for the Jim Crow South. Not long ago I moved to a much smaller town in Central Montana. By and large the people are rough and conservative and may even seem hard and narrow minded. It takes only a few minutes to discover that in reality they are the most generous, tender hearted people anywhere. I never felt anything but welcomed and never thought I was anything but part of the community. Now I live in the city and am learning city skills.

I live in a small rural town. Kind of the worst of both worlds.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 2, 2018

I grew up living in the country. I had to drive 30 minutes to really get anywhere of any significance. Growing up I hated it and moved into the city when I was old enough to move out. Now I miss the privacy of living in the country. The neighbors don't tend to like it when you are awake at 2am and feel like playing "when the levee breaks" on drums.

I hate the country. I am divorced because I hate the country. My ex is still out there in the sticks. I, obviously, am not. Different strokes for different folks!

I like the IDEA of country living, but in practice I prefer the big city. (And cities are actually better for the environment, because they allow more efficient consumption of energy resources!)

After 57 years of living in cities, which have their charms, and suburbs, which generally don't, I am how happily residing not so much in the country as the jungles of Hawaii. I LOVE it.

Ludo Level 7 Apr 1, 2018

Love it, yes ! With wilderness 10min in one direction, and town 10min in another - perfect !

Happily grew up in NYC, with no regrets. Time for more peace !

Yes. I liked the city in my 20's and 30's.

Yes.

skado Level 9 Apr 1, 2018

I am a farmer so yes, I love living in the country. That said I am planning to move my operation closer to the city so I can have and enjoy the best of two worlds.

I grew up in a town so small that I ould step over our side fence and go hynting in nearby fields, with a creek within one mile, and 2 rivers (the Sywannee and the Withlacoochie) within 9 miles. That did give me a love for the out-of-doorsAs a teenager I worked in nearly farmer's tobacco fields to earn money. Still, the cultural and intellectual sterility is not something I miss.

I'm from the country. I live in a medium-sized city, but make frequent trips to the country espescially in the summer.

Traffic sucks

Love it. Grew up on a farm. In the "big city" now of 250 people. Hope to afford my own small farm soon out of town.

I love my country but I'm disappointed in its choice of leaders.

I have very sensitive hearing, so the sounds of the city drive me nuts. I also get bronchitis around air pollution (including exhaust fumes and second-hand smoke). For those reasons, I prefer my country home in Tennessee. Sometimes I must escape the political situation in the USA, so I visit my Italian city condo for three months per year. When in the city I make frequent use of my earplugs, and cross the street when I see a smoker ahead. After the hustle and bustle of the city, it's always a relief to get back to the relatively quiet and clean country life.

Grown up in the city, then inherited the family homestead in the woods. I’d had a lot of exposure to the country, seems we only slept or attended school in town. But adulthood in the country were during my ‘best years,’ physically capable of doing everything. And though my kids didn’t appreciate the right-wing religious cohorts they attended school with … I assumed it was a safer mix than the drugged-out knife-wielding punks of my innercity upbringing..

Yes, the country’s best. But it can be lonely… I’d also noticed ‘I was there by opportunity,’ my neighbors seemed there by necessity … most of them simply couldn’t live within the confines of civilization 😉 But having started over in a new land, I chose something in between, and am loving it! A 1.5 mile round trip to a large grocery store, excellent library and restaurants … or 3 houses away from 20 to 30 acre open fields …where 2 neighbor dogs hiked with me to the beaver dam at ‘the creek’ today..

The price is (near) poverty, though 🙂

Varn Level 8 Apr 2, 2018

I'm ready to move to the mountains of Panama. Anyone else thinking of doing that?

now that would be different

I've been thinking more the coast of Costa Rica, myself

Boquete?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48248
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.