Agnostic.com

12 22

LINK Kentucky Governor Says In-Person Churchgoers Will Have License Plates Recorded, Be Forced to Quarantine for 14 Days

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear announced Friday that anyone planning on attending in-person church services during the Easter weekend in defiance of public health restrictions intended to contain the spread of COVID-19 will be subject to an enforced 14-day quarantine.

Every state doing something different but I like this approach. Note that this will apply to any mass gathering, not just churches. As such, it will also be very useful insofar if they choose to enforce it (big if but if), then that would give us a good metric of how wide spread non-compliance is or isn't. .

TheMiddleWay 8 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not good enough...

domos Level 7 Apr 12, 2020

Good luck with THAT...Horse is already out of the barn once they leave CHURCH and they number in the MILLIONS...simply lip service as the Authorities don't have the manpower.

They did this to themselves. They deny reality and reality comes a-knocking. The way this pandemic has been politicized is simply incredible. How in hell does a virus have anything to do with religion?
This is not about denying people's right to assemble. This is about bare bones scientific proof that separation is key to slowing and eventually stopping a global threat. Period.

What is your proof?

Strangely lots of people are going for this and believe it. I hear that soon you will be stopped coming out of stores you have shopped in to have your cart inspected to see if what you bought was "essential."

I prefer freedom over subjugation. What happens when this new dictatorial power is exercised against us in other ways?

Ohferpetessake, how much freedom will I have hooked up to a ventilator? Or, wait, dead, you fool!

@AnneWimsey Living in fear is not living. We all die and do not get to choose when that is.

@beenthere People who commit suicide choose when that is. As a matter of fact, it shouldn't be a crime to commit suicide. Death with dignity, and choosing when to end your life, should be a right.

Also, you shouldn't be able to play roulette with others lives.

"Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins" is the same as "your liberty to congregate ends where disease begins. "

@AtheistInNC I thought of it later and your are correct regarding suicide. I would not give up my freedom to prevent someone from trying to punch me. There is no authority to prevent that and I would want the freedom to respond. IMO, trying to control that preempts natural law as does controlling congregating.

@TheMiddleWay There is a difference between dictatorial behavior and a dictatorship. These are not absolutes. Unfortunately, freedoms are taken every day. A difference I see here is the speed and severity at which they were taken and the eagerness with which the public agreed to give them up.

@beenthere Your characterization of this as "dictatorial" is entirely a matter of your personal opinion. Simply passign and enforcing a law a restriction is not, in itself, dictatorial.

@AlasBabylon What dictionary are you using to define the word dictatorial?

They should force them to quarantine at the church for 14 days.

Hopefully those fools will get enough churchgoing in for a long time.

BD66 Level 8 Apr 12, 2020

Force can be an ugly word. Not long ago, some people in this country were forced to become sterile. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, etc... forced people into submission and our society once believed that was wrong. At what point does forcing others become unacceptable? How do you differentiate?

@beenthere There are rare instances when it makes sense for the government to compel people to behave responsibly. Global pandemics and war are two example.

How are you going to keep people who defy quarantine in the first place from going back out again next Sunday?

in some areas, they have a patrol car parked on the street. If they leave the house, they are told to return, or be arrested.

@AtheistInNC that an monitoring their phones, if the phone leaves the residence they are tracked down and arrested, almost nobody leaves their phone behind on purpose these days, they wouldn't know what to do with themselves without their phone. 😀

Religious (read Christian) freedom to worship or not to worship preserved, simultaneously with preserving public safety. (physical and mental!)

Them Democrats taking away freedoms again.

Scientists and Medically Trained Doctors and Nurses come in all Political Parties. Religion and Medicine are Oil and Water. Too much emphasis on religion and not on education or common sense is your problem. Your out of balance and spewing your obvious lack of it is what you should seriously look at.

This has got to stop being a gop or dem thing!! ALL Americans are at risk and those who stand by a person so willfully incapable as trump have blood on their hands. I want facts, I want medical and scientific professionals. I want people who understand the logistics of supply movement and availability!! If this does not wake people up to the need for elected officials not in the pockets of big corporate and the wealthy I do not know what will.

@TheMiddleWay If you are referring only to my post, it was meant as satire. If you're referring to the article it says nothing about the political leanings of the Kentucky governor or any other governor. In either instance there's nothing fake about it.

How about a fine too.

No. Not a fine! .... But perhaps a ""contribution" towards the costs of the police overtime required to ensure they remain in strict quarantine.

You can't just bar the doors when they are inside and not open them for two weeks?

Ooh! That would be much simpler, wouldn't it? One church is easier to guard than dozens (hundreds?) of homes.

I have a nail gun!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:483462
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.