Agnostic.com

11 31

Today's hike after three weeks: An "Oops!" Coyote and Joy

After three weeks of not hiking, I was going slightly nuts. To my joy and delight, today Karen and I- staying six feet apart- hiked 9.5 miles total with 2,400 feet of elevation gain (and loss).

We hiked up to Beehive Reservoir, then steeply up to a see Mt. Stuart and the Enchantments. The first Spring mountain wildflower, yellow Glacier Lily, dotted the hillsides. It was wonderful and quiet without trucks or cars on the blocked, dirt road.

A coyote stepped out of the woods in front of us. The coyote went "Oops!" and quickly whirled around, ducking back into the woods. We laughed.

A joyous, wonderful day! Karen and I will hike again on Thursday.

Photos:

1. Mt. Stuart (9,415 feet) and the Enchantments. In our backyard.

2. Reflections in Beehive Reservoir.

3. Glacier Lily surrounded by long Ponderosa Pine needles.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was wondering what you had been up to. Great to get out. One doesn’t know it until one is forced into quarantine.

Well done, but remember that if you do not spit on each other WHO says it is OK to be only 3 feet apart.

Well done! You’re inspiring me to β€œget on up” there to my nearby mountains after too many excuses made for too long!

Thank you for taking us on your walk. Wish I could have been there, too. Once i had similar experience as you had with the coyote...only mine was with a snake. I had to cross a path and he needed to cross from the other side. We both stopped. I waited. He crossed. Then i crossed. Then we both stopped and looked back as he raised his head as of to say well done, thank you. Then we both went on our way. Another time I met the cutest skunk. WE both sat down on a big rock in the woods. We sat together for a long time. Then i had to go. I wanted to pet him but wouldn't take the chance.

How beautiful! You sure are in great shape to be able to climb that high without an altitude attack! Lol. Keep it up!

@Freedompath

Thank you, dear!

The last time I got altitude sickness was at 9,300 feet elevation, backpacking in the Wallowa Mountains, Oregon. I had the flu three weeks earlier.

When we hiked up to 9,300 feet elevation, I had a headache, felt dizzy and weak and was ruminating about every bad thing that ever happened to me. Couldn't stand my own company.

"Look at the horizon: is it blurry?" my hiking companion asked when I alerted him. "If it's blurry, that means your brain is bleeding."

I insisted he help me descend immediately. After I dropped 500 feet in elevation, my symptoms vanished.

@LiterateHiker I have had altitude sickness and it is not pleasant! Lol I have had something similar coming out out of the Grand Canyon, but not going down! Everytime, I thought I might be forced to get help, but after we got to the rim, that whole mostly mental thing dissipated! I miss the really hard hikes!

Great photos, as always. πŸ™‚

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you.

Sounds awesome. Very jealous.

What an amazinv view.Great shots!

@gigihein

Thank you, dear.

@LiterateHiker Thank you for sharing

Stop posting pictures of how beautiful Seattle is. It's giving me state envy.

@LiterateHiker I stand corrected. Okay, stop posting pictures of how beautiful Wenatchee, WA is, It's giving me state envy.

@Sgt_Spanky

It is not Seattle. Seattle does not get deep blue skies. Seattle gets rain, fog and drizzle. I call it "Seattle's incontinence."

I live in Wenatchee, WA, on the sunny, east side of the Cascade Mountains, Washington State. Snuggled up against the foothills. The trailhead is 20 minutes from town.

@LiterateHiker Didn't I post that as a reply to your comment? Sorry, my bad.

@Sgt_Spanky

You are not the post police.

You can post beautiful nature pictures you took in Florida.

@Sgt_Spanky Seattle has its beautiful days but you have to be patient. When I run out of patience I take the two hour drive to Leavenworth ( NEAR Wenatchee). As we climb Stevens Pass the rain continues, a mile or so past the top the rain stops and in just a few more miles the skys are clear.
When asked where I'm from:
Machias.
Where's that.
East of Everett, north of Monroe
???
Seattle, I'm from Seattle.

Beautiful Pics ,Happy you finally got out again and really enjoyed yourself,,Have fun on Thursday also

@RoyMillar

Thank you!

"with 2,400 feet of elevation gain." How did you get back home, if you had gained 2,400 feet of height?
To my pedantic mind you had zero elevation gain, unless you're still up there. πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

@Petter

What goes up must go down.

We ascended 2,400 feet in elevation up to the view spot. The hardest part is descending 2,400 feet in elevation.

@LiterateHiker "Ascended" is a much more accurate word.
I believe the first comment in your reply was originally said by a bishop to an actress! πŸ˜‚

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:484779
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.