Agnostic.com

12 6

[getpocket.com]

"I did not die, I did not go to Heaven". How the controversy around a Christian bestseller engulfed the evangelical publishing industry—and tore a family apart.

AlasBabylon 8 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No kidding!

Well, colour me surprised.

What worries me is how you have readers of these Heaven books stating that they're protected from COVID-19. One woman telling NBC news (I believe) that she's covered in the Blood of Jesus so she can congregate in large settings with fellow church goers.

not even realizing that she is proclaiming "i am Esau" the whole time, lol

The article is too long but yet a true story. It is an example of believers getting something and running with it as far as they can. This type behavior is in their blood, but they made it all up just the same. In my lifetime we first had religious commentary on scripture. Later on this had to evolve into apologists because preachers and ministers needed an active person to back them. The religious continue to make things up.

Honestly, I couldn't finish this article. The situation is so bad, and it highlights how shady the average believer actually is, that I just couldn't go on with it. From the highest to the lowest amongst them, xtians exploit their supposed beliefs for personal monetary gain at the first opportunity. They all punk each other with these fish tales of angels and demons designed to confirm their bias about the supernatural - with no effing evidence at all. All it takes is a boy describing a rainbow unicorn/horse (???) and a couple of 'amens' and it's aaaaallll true. WTF?!

I would have only been surprised if just one of these types of books were proven TO be true.

BTW Where is the inspiration? God takes a kid to heaven and sends his back a quad, his parents get divorced and his father manipulattes and exploits him. Inspiring.

Guess it all was a bunch of Malarkey!

What a sad story.

Yea what a mess

I have no doubt that the child saw angels and jesus, he had been indoctrinated and people were probably praying at his bedside. Enough of his brain was firing to project images to him nothing more than that. I am sorry his life has been destroyed by his cult worshipping family, and greedy, neglectful father. You use a phone while driving you are neglectful.

using a cellphone whilst driving. not using a seatbelt ? That's as far as I got.
I remember hearing about this years ago. Load of nonsense,

Did you keep reading, further on, to where the interviewer calls the father to ask a few questions? The dad is at a sport of some sort, but agrees to call back once it's over, FROM THE CAR, ON HIS CELL, WITH ANOTHER KID.

Since this conversation lasted a while (2 hours? I forget, but it was a while) he was presumably not just sitting in the parking lot.

Seriously, WTF? Is he hoping for a repeat performance?

Edited to add: sorry, I should have noticed that you said you stopped reading.

@AmyTheBruce Idiot. Should have been charged with a motoring offence and banned from driving,
I remember speaking to an American friend when seat belt wearing became mandatory. She said it was an intrusion into personal freedom and that people drive big cars in the USA because they are safer in an accident. Bounce your head of the windscreen in a big car or a small car it doesn't make much difference.

What a bunch of idiots & charlatans!

I went to the link, and started reading the article.
When I saw how long it was, I skimmed through a little more of the article,
and then came back here.

This reminds me of the thinking that caused me to become an atheist, back in 1999.
My first point, was that, because all events, including all of human activity, is all within the process of cause and effect.
It's all cause and effect.
So, there is no inner person in each of us,
and there is no free will.
We imagine free will, when our training overcomes our primal urges. Christians say that is when the spirit overcomes the flesh. But training is just another cause of our actions. Free will is a fairy tale.
Then, I thought about life after death. The more I thought about it, the more silly it seemed. Is there life after death for dogs? Cats? Fleas? Ticks? Covid-19 virus?
Eliminating god from my list of fairy tales was just another item on the list.
I am saying that the whole heaven thing is truly sad to me, sad, because so many feel good, when they think about it, including my family. That makes it more depressing to know the truth.
But we can step outside, and enjoy the world we are in.
And we can smile at each other.
We have a lot to savor, right now, with no heaven needed.
Seems to me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:484855
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.