Agnostic.com

11 7

Follow up interview with the first person to receive a vaccination against COVID-19. She is brilliant recognizing that she is a person of privilege in many ways that others are not. While she may be religious I could see her being a friend. Her spiritual advisor seems good as well. What do you think?

[refinery29.com]

ToolGuy 9 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's not a vaccine, its a trial. Big diff.
Don't get me wrong, I hope it works right out of the gate. Just not into putting carts before horses...

@ToolGuy
Just saying....You asked for thoughts and I think you should have been more specific in your OP.
That has to go a long way before its a vaccine and she has not been proven to have been vaccinated yet, if she can be at all.
"The first person to receive the Trial Vaccine" is what you should have said.

I think it's down to a matter of trust. Are there/can there be people who are genuinely altruistic? I believe there can and there are. As for being friends with someone like this woman, I think it's a matter of faith. People simply do let us down - all the time. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, and we close off any possibility of something better, something richer, by always assuming the worst.

I've been thru thinking I can have a friend of faith too many times. ... Eventually, it doesn't work because they won't stop trying to convert me, or I lose respect for them due to their faith. It never works, I have learned this already.

Sure sounds like the kind of friend I'd like to have. I see no reason to be cynical about her motives. Or put another way, I have friends whom I believe would do the same thing for the reasons she gives.

It makes me wonder how exactly she has had a vaccination for Covid-19 one MONTH ago when they are still either developing one or only in the Lab Testing stages atm.
And Yes, there are very few and very rare side-effects from any vaccinations, I have a regular Flu vaccination every year and the ONLY effect I've ever had from them is a slight soreness around the injection site.

@ToolGuy I'd hazard a guess here and say she has ONLY had a normal Flu Vaccine.

@ToolGuy Still smells as fishy to me as a Fish Market in Bangkok, shit, they've only just unraveled the genome and nucleitide strings of the virus in the last 3-4 weeks, Australian Labs at both the C.S.I.R.O. and the C.S.L. plus numerous other Labs elsewhere have working 24/7 on researching, etc, the virus and creating a vaccine since approx. 2 weeks AFTER the virus escaped from the Wuhan/Hubei region of China and now the U.S. want us to believe that they've created, tested and are running human Trials already, pull the other leg mate, it plays Jingle Bells.
It may be a throw-back' to my days and years as a nurse but I do keep very much up to date with all things medical still.

@ToolGuy He wants an explanation that your link does not provide.

@JustAskMe Yes, and that as well thank you.

@ToolGuy I see by your profile that your education went as far as Grad School, presumably that is something similar to what we, here in Australia, classify as Secondary/High School, nice bitvof education but may one ask why you haven't gone on further since you are now retired?

@ToolGuy I'm not sure what this response relates to.

@ToolGuy We call such schools Universities over here and I started doing Uni courses in 1998 with a year off when my 15 y.o. daughter was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma but have continued on ever since.

It remains to be seen what happens. Trump is still lying and using COVID-19 updates in place of his town meetings. Nothing here is bipartisan as both parties have been taught to hate each other. Trials of vaccines may be going on. I heard conservative talk radio today where they are beating each other to death verbally and they do not trust anyone. If Trump isn't behind it they don't like it. You would think that The Chosen One had studied medicine or something. LMAO

AGAIN, the 'reliability gage' is BROKEN.

refinery29 is a "fashion focused citiy guide"

I notice (what I regard as unnecessary tracking crap ) the "trailing stuff" of your link :
" ?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email"

IIUC, you got an email from digg, a news aggregator (in other words, NO actual journalism required), posting an article from a fashion website, and thought -- what ? -- a good, reliable, credible source to post here ?

Just what is your idea of Critical Thinking, and taking responsibility for "fake news" ?

When the professional epidemeologists are saying many months, a year (a long time) this one persons vaccine is credibly newsworthy ?

@ToolGuy sigh . . .

It is hard not-to-notice that you haven't addressed my "IIUC" and other 'claims', and have not answered the question(s) that I asked !

I'm saying AGAIN, it seems no CT has gone-into your choice of credible, reliable sources, and you have NOT taken responsibility for that.

MY words -- ". . . which is why I and others should be wary and question them, and not shift responsibility for whatever "needle in a haystack" "pile of crap" "truthiness" is linked-to."

I try to avoid the 'asking "prove/proof", because (apart from math) not even science does that (sometimes disproves).

I do agree with the expression "burden of proof", which, falls on the entity MAKING the claim(s) (i.e. the "fashion focused city guide" ) and you choosing to post it, not the questioning of it. Disagree with that, if you want/can.

Otherwise, can you explain why you post from sources that don't seem to have reason(s) to assign reliability/credibility to whatever they put on their BLOG/aggregation/website(s). Without that, it seems reasonable for CT to continue to question sources.

@ToolGuy MORE of my words that you have not responded to :

"Do you really think FB (or any website) bears NO responsibility for all the 'fake news' that is shown on their platform, or do you really want to argue "the responsibility is on someone else" ? Aren't there websites (say, for example, journalists) who have, over time, shown credibility/reliability MORE than, say, a freaking BLOG."

@ToolGuy I don't take responsibility for the ignorance (I did not use the "stupid" word) of others. I don't avoid responding to legitimate/sincere questions/requests for clarification from others.

. . . in case these are what you call 'jargon'

IIUC -- If I Understand Correctly
CT -- Critical Thinking

@ToolGuy LOL, nice dodge, Toolguy. ... I can now dismiss your link and information entirely.

@ToolGuy what she was given was not a vaccine.

Really? Most of humanity is from one religion or another, why would they be bad people? Most people are inherently good. Not sure how to view your post or your question.

I found it interesting that she felt she was very privileged and could therefore take this risky vaccine, she sounds like an average, middle class person not a person of privilege. Why not have Bill Gates take the vaccine of some of the Kardashians, maybe Mitch McConnell or the remaining Koch brother?
I think it is a noble thing she has done, although I question her motivation and the motivations of those asking for human guinea pigs. I do hope it works out for her and the world's population in general, as I think that a vaccine that can be mass produced is the greatest hope for the poor majority of the planet.

@ToolGuy whatever happened to being normal because you were middle class and most people were middle class? Wealth Inequality

I have a lot of religious friends.

good interview

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:485905
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.