Agnostic.com

15 5

Should We List All Companies that Pander to the Religious?

I recently answered someone's post on companies which policies cater to the religious right. I need help putting a list together of companies that we can boycott. Working with Laura Ingraham and Faux News. Please help.

sassygirl3869 9 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Any thoughts on how we can keep a running list (company names and reasons) would be nice to add room for debate...

For what reason?

LJ49 Level 4 Apr 2, 2018

please do . it might be a very very long list though

I'm a firm believer in the concept of voting with your wallet. [alternet.org]
There's also a Boycott and Defeat Koch Industries Facebook page that offers the same information and more.
Here's (a partial) list of products being boycotted:

Angel Soft toilet paper
Brawny paper towels
Dixie plates, bowls, napkins and cups
Mardi Gras napkins and towels
Quilted Northern toilet paper
Soft 'n Gentle toilet paper
Sparkle napkins
Vanity fair napkins
Zee napkins
Georgia-Pacific paper products and envelopes
All Georgia-Pacific lumber and building products, including:
Dense Armor Drywall and Decking
ToughArmor Gypsum board

How are the Koch's connected to Trump?

your list makes me happy that I don't use many paper products.

@sassygirl3869 Most of their billions are in the dirty fuel industry and the Koch brothers are notorious fro supporting conservative and big-business interests including many republicans' huge campaign contributions. they were also very active in the rise of the Tea Party.

I don’t know how vetted this is or what criterion they use but these lists start to get ridiculous. [newsin15.blogspot.com]

@sassygirl3869 scads of money?

Dominoes, Hobby lobby,Chic filet,

Why Dominoes?

I think he means Papa Johns whose ceo supports trump. Although I do recall something about dominos years ago supporting something having to do with anti abortion.

Dominoes gives a % to the catholic church and has been since day 1

@jperlow no, he means dominoes pizza. Tom Monaghan, owner, contributed to 'pro-life groups such as Operation Rescue and Right to Life, or right-wing fundamentalist causes such as Word of God. He was also open about his involvement with the Committee to End State-Funded Abortions in Michigan.' [snopes.com]

There are multiple lists already. This for starters

[google.com]

There are also lists maintained by Christian religious freedom organizations which are probably a lot more interesting but only available to subscribers

[charismanews.com]

But how deep do you want to go? CEO goes to church? Has made a comment about something? Has a history of being antisemitic? Donates to quasi religious organizations? Becomes a slippery slope rather quickly.

checked the Google List couple of surprises there folks. Check out the list if you get a chance.

I'll add to the list, Hobby Lobby, the republican party, NRA, Fox News, Democratic party, ABC, NBC, CBS.

BillF Level 7 Apr 2, 2018

cia fbi nsa dea ice

air force marines

most insurance companies

Uh oh...here's a thought. A list like this might alienate other non-believers by a boycott of the far right. That would be a bad thing...

Why not list the Far Right companies here? Like jperlow says, it will be a vast list but it can be a running list, as discovery is made, additions can be yea'd or nay'ed.
But, they'd have to be companies like Hobby Lobby [rewire.news]
AND PLEASE don't put companies on the list just because they produce halal or kosher foods. Producing products like this caters to groups for marking. Neither of these labels indicate how a company votes politically or whether they support FAR RIGHT politics.
I think whenever a company goes on the list, there has to be a legitimate reason for the addition: unfair practices of one kind of another.
So, HOBBY LOBBY should be on that list. Thank you for suggestion sassygirl3869

Kosher and Halal are very specific ways of preparing meat products and they TASTE different. And there are differences which effectively are quality control methods that differ from just government issued certifications, it’s a second level ensuring this stuff isn’t made from garbage. I buy kosher salami all the time and if has zero to do with a desire to keep kosher.

doing something like this would give your enemies the best possible ammunition.

not if we make it internal...a reference for all of us here

they are not enemies they are non entities

Can you clarify? Are you interested in exerting economic pressure on companies that give preference to people of faith or are you interested in pressuring companies that support a political right leaning agenda that is based in conservative religious dogma?

support political right leaning agenda.

yes, some guidelines need to be established

Boycotts seem to backfire. THREATS of boycott are sometimes effective. It's great to air our concerns about a company's practices or dubious affiliations, and even to say that is why we personally won't be doing business with them. But when it comes to these unfair perks for church-goers, I think there are far too many of them to want to join us to teach thst company a lesson. Boycotts often end up becoming publicity and HELPING business. I am thinking of Chik Filet and the anti-abortion activism of the owner. Attempted boycotts spurred counter-action by abortion opponents, who flocked to the restaurant in droves. Or the million mom's who boycotted JC Penney over their use of Ellen DeGeneres as an ad spokeswoman. That certainly backfired at the time.

chick fil'a was the first thing i thought of too...

But not awareness. ...

Maybe list the Atheist type companies, it is a much smaller list.
Religious supporting companies would need to include those whose products are certified as kosher and halal

NO NO NO! I object loudly! 🙂 ! Kosher and halal certifications DO NOT necessarily mean a business is RELIGIOUS leaning or in support of far right bullshit. It simply means that the food is prepared in a specific method in order for orthodox peoples to consume it.

Please don't even try to 'conflate' religious practices with religious dogma. I will be all over it, Rugglesby, my friend

That is called antisemitism

@crazycurlz Kosher and Halal are cruel, that is more the reason I object to it than anything.
And cruelty caused by belief in fairy tales? I really fail to see the logic in your argument. Perhaps you could explain. But ritual slaughter a no no in my world. For Halal the slaughter must be carried out my a Muslim, so that is discriminatory to me, Concerns about animal suffering from slaughter without prior stunning has resulted in the ban of slaughter of unstunned animals in Denmark, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland.The animal is slaughtered by having its throat cut and must be bled out. You think I am wrong for boycotting?

Ya I don't want to go there. What companies support Trump? Another List lets see.

Here's the List of Companies that Support Trump:

New Balance
Yuengling Brewery-PA
Home Depot
Pay Pal
Facebook
Hobby Lobby

I used to live at Home Depot-bet that affects a lot of members here.

@crazycurlz that makes no sense AT ALL

@Rugglesby your argument is about animals rights. I can get behind that. So, I did a little research and what I found is that the practices of kosher and halal came about for a few reasons: 1. stunning an animal inflicts unnecessary pain and suffering prior to slaughter and 2. the killing of these animals is done 'ritualistically' (a word that seems to alarm you!) meaning only by those who have been trained, so that it is done cleanly and with precision. In addition, kosher and halal traditionally consider the treatment of the animals during their life...their quality of life.
I think your objections to animal cruelty, well taken, would put all of our meat and poultry industry on this list for animal cruelty except for free rangers. I think we can add companies to the list, with reasons for inclusion and debate them as they get added. THAT WOULD BE FUN!
Thanks for bringing up your points, Rugglesby, I learned something I didn't know! I'll keep looking into this and share what I find and I hope you will too!

@markdevenish your comment is as lazy as your pic. Are you snoozing on the job? We have work to do, man! hahaha

@sassygirl3869 Okay, so whenever we add to the list, we'll have to do just what you're doing there: make it clear what the company is supporting and why you have the objection. BUT I think we have to not just list companies but refer back to research...it's a slippery slope to put a company's name out for condemnation WITHOUT FACTS to support it. Agreed?

@crazycurlz I agree we should look into everything. I am a hypocrite, I eat meat, but cannot kill animals. I have my own poultry (free range) for eggs,, but don't eat the birds. Animals eat other animals so I can accept my meat eating up to a point. Yet I feel an obligation to do what I can to make sure the animals do not suffer and that they have a worthwhile life.

I will offend many not from Australia in that I eat kangaroo. I am offended by the large culling of kangaroos in Australia, they are just left to rot. I feel that is is better not to waste their meat. Also they are not kept in pens but roam free so they live ok while they still live.
I have a friend who has a butcher shop, he is unable to obtain some products that are not halal certified so I do not but those products from him.

Regarding the ritual slaughter from what I can find it is along these lines: This method of slaughtering animals consists of using a well-sharpened knife to make a swift, deep incision that cuts the front of the throat, the carotid artery, trachea, and jugular veins.[18] The head of an animal that is slaughtered using halal methods is aligned with the qiblah. In addition to the direction, permitted animals should be slaughtered upon utterance of the Islamic prayer 'Bismillah' "in the name of God". The slaughter must be performed by a Muslim. Blood must be drained from the veins.
I have Muslim friends, and also some friends who are Sikh, their religion does not permit them to eat animals that have been ritually slaughtered or where the slaughter has caused unnecessary pain. Sadly our Government does nothing to help them, not enough money in it I guess.

@Rugglesby I also have friends that are Muslim. Halal is Mulsim, Kosher is Jewish. My best friend growing up was Arab. I think you might want to discuss further with your Sikh friends because this is what I found regarding ritualistic slaughter or Chatka (Sikh):

Jhatka, or Chatka (jhàṭkā IPA: [tʃə̀ʈkɑ]), is meat from an animal killed instantaneously, such as by a single strike of a sword or axe to sever the head.

And this is what I found about kosher: According to the laws of the Torah, to be eaten, a kosher species must be slaughtered by a "Schochet," a ritual slaughterer. Since Jewish Law prohibits causing any pain to animals, the slaughtering has to be effected in such a way that unconsciousness is instantaneous and death occurs almost instantaneously.

I can't imagine that only culture would want to torture animals before consumption.
Great discussion, man! Thank you so much for this. Don't know if I could eat kangaroo. What does it taste like?

@crazycurlz Thanks for the info on Kosher, it sounds decent. Kangaroo is quite strong, slightly more than lamb. I prefer roo to venison. Roo has no fat, the taste is actually in the flesh unlike beef. Steaks and roasts are fine, but better in mint and garlic, the mince and sausages are too strong in flavour for me.

@Rugglesby poor little roos. I agree, it's best that meat isn't wasted. any companies come to mind, then, that you would want to add to a boycott? 🙂

@crazycurlz I boycott Gloria Jeans because of their hyper religious anti gay stance. Nestle due to some dodgy practices over the years, i don't forgive easily. I am a hard case, I hate sport, I mean I really hate sport it annoys me. People can play it all they like, but I don't want to know about it. Companies sponsor sports for marketing, so I boycott as far as I can companies that sponsor sport. Does not affect them in the least I know, but makes me feel better.

@Rugglesby so I totally agree with you, I hate the whole sports bullshit, too. Too much hype, too much money for nothing, too much materialism and consumption. I'll look into Gloria Jeans and Nestle.

No. And it's a futile effort because after you were finished if you were truly committed to doing a boycott there would be nothing to buy. I know of so many companies that are on someone's list because the CEO once made an off-hand comment about some group which doesn't align with their principles or whatever.

hahaha maybe and maybe it's okay just to be informed and if we list the legitimate reason to boycott, why not get a running list going on this post and see where it goes?

I'm all for this, but I'm not sure where I'd find that info. ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48696
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.