Agnostic.com

18 14

Are one through nine spelled out?

...my daughter texted today. "I'm writing a 7 page paper."

As a former columnist with an exacting editor, I replied:

One through nine are spelled out. Always spell out numbers when they are the first word in a sentence:

Forty-one people farted in unison.

Zero people attended.

Also, 10 and up are witten in digits:

At the party, 20 people jumped into the pool.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've heard this a thousand times, aways good advice. πŸ˜‰

1of5 Level 8 Apr 23, 2020

Okay. Maybe useful for current students. Not useful for me anymore. heh

I did not know this. Thanks.

English has a thousand rules and a million exceptions. Is that right?

Do you have a recording of number 1 example??
Lol

That’s how I do it. I typically follow AP Style in my work.

I thought that when you mixed numbers below and above 10, you defaulted to typing the number. So 41 people were split into 8 groups.

I think you are exactly correct but I often just use the numeral unless I am starting a sentence.

I spell out smaller numbers online cause it's easier then going to other menus to use numbers.. Anything higher than the ten.. Unsure..

That's how I learned it

Boring sentence:

"One thousand, seven hundred and seventy-six was the year the United States of America was established."

Better: "In 1776, America was founded."

From Strunk and White’s *Elements of Style: Omit needless words.

I've heard that Canadians, Mexicans, Central and South Americans feel it's haughty for those of us in the USA to refer to our nation as America--since they are Americans too.

Is that Jed Strunk? No, he was "A Daisy A Day." πŸ™‚

@Wallace That is not a Canadian sentiment at all. But I hear or read it often from south and central americans that consider the two continents as the Americas. I find it strange as well.

You’re correct ... spell out numbers below 10 and any number starting a sentence. Also, she would hyphenate β€œseven-page paper.” (My degree is in English and I work as a writer/editor.)

PS - The rules are much relaxed when texting. πŸ˜‰

Okay, what about pi? If I use an approximation at the start of a sentence ... oh wait, I guess I could just not do that instead. πŸ˜‰

@MarkWD You would say β€œApproximately 3.14.”

Good reminder

When are we ever going to use this? I don't even know 41 flatulent people let alone any that talented. πŸ˜‰

@MarkWD

I included humor to amuse my daughter. It was fun writing.

I have to write reports and I use it all the bloody time. Although I follow literate's rules generally, I change the format to whatever is easiest to read or allows the sentence to flow best. Or change my sentence structure so that it doesn't look "clunky".

Yet when you write a number in this group it always underlines it like you did a bad thing! 13

BillF Level 7 Apr 22, 2020

@BillF

I didn't know that because I write numbers correctly. It's a habit.

@LiterateHiker Yep, knew my laziness would keep me in trouble!

Great info to know ,Thank you,

Now I know where to go if I have a grammar question. Do you have a fee?

@WilliamFleming

Ask away. No charge.

@LiterateHiker I was taught in school that β€œloan” is ALWAYS a noun and that the the verb is β€œlend”. Yet I constantly see it the other way, even in high-class publications. β€œSet” and β€œlay” are constantly used in ways that would have made my high school English teacher scream. Am I off base here?

I’m going to lie lowly until I hear back. πŸ™‚

@WilliamFleming

Agreed. Grammar and spelling mistakes make people seem dumb and careless.

@WilliamFleming "...lie lowly..." Haha! I guess speaking correctly can be fun. Who was it (Churchill?) who said "Ending sentences with prepositions is something up with which I shall no longer put"?

Thank you I did not know that. Were those 41 people in a church?

That would explain why I haven't met them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:487849
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.