Agnostic.com

6 1

[jweekly.com]

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is it safe to enter a nursing home for non-covid care?

sassygirl3869 9 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wouldn't. YOu don't know what you would be carrying in, and you don't know what the staff has carried in.

Nobody in out here, if a resident needs care beyond what the nurses can give, an ambulance comes to remove them to an ER. (which, good luck to them... )

At Mom’s independent living facility they are not taking any new patients in the nursing care facility.

Very few nursing homes allow visitors at all tgese days, and are pretty careful with their employees too. Residents who are emergency admits, or go to the hospital and bring things back, are a different story. I don't know how theyre quarantined, but those people are quarantined at least somewhat. Having been in a few of those places, assuming you mean the most basic places that are largely medicaid funded, i really can't imagine. And i have no idea whats going on in states like Georgia.

I'm trying to get my folks into an assisted living memory care unit right now. The problem is that they aren't safe AT ALL not being in one.

1of5 Level 8 Apr 24, 2020

Thats why I posted the article. I would be concerned in making such a tough decision now.

@sassygirl3869 I've got 2 1/2 years of research/effort into finding them the right place and convincing mom it's her descision to move. Already have a deposit down and room reserved, just can't move them in now because of the virus. Neat-o.

Best part is last week mom tripped over thier cat and went to the ER where they're understaffed and stressed beyond normal. Shes got mid to worsening dementia and with the concussion she forgot why she was even there - They rushed her through without x-raying her ribs and sent her home with 3 undiagnosed broken ribs. Oh yeah, shes got osteoporosis so why should they think to check for broken bones? Had to video conferance twice with different doctors before shd could even be taken in to be examined.

At least the pot store here is still open.

@1of5 awful this is happening.

My Mother in Law's nursing home has for the past six weeks allowed no visitors in or residents out of the home for any reason what so ever, to minimizes infection.

Must be tough for your wife and you.

@sassygirl3869 Yes and we just found out yesterday that everyone in the home is in solitary confinement now, with staff in full PPE (that they had to buy themselves) delivering meals to them 3 times a day and medication 4 times a day.
That is a living hell, they may as well be in prison.

@LenHazell53 so sorry to hear. I was a patient in a nursing home 5 years ago and saw and heard all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:488597
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.