Agnostic.com

8 1

Lockdown stupidity?

What a pity that few read & headed my March post "The following post has probably already been seen by most members of "" but for those who ..."

Did you?

If not, why not?

Many Americans unable to intelligently handle lockdown. Record binge eating of unhealthy food, extended hours watching tv, boozing, credit borrowing & gambling increased, abortions increasing:

[talkmarkets.com]

FrayedBear 9 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very little difference in our home life. We don't socialize, & habits have not changed. The only differences are more precautions when needing a town trip, & shopping online for the non perishables.

I am fine isolating as I love my home life. It's where I most want to be anyway. I live the same way in as I did before, keeping busy, normal eating and sleeping, etc...

However, my life has been touched by the suicide of at least two acquaintences, so the severity of lonliness can be pretty huge. I have been trying to reach out to loved ones (incl casual friends etc) as I don't feel that I need apologize for doing so.

Zster Level 8 May 3, 2020

Isolation can be very difficult and even traumatic for anyone.
Since I've been battling Agoraphobia for nigh on 15 years now and slowly but surely winning the battle, I'd say that this 'Lock-down/Isolation business' is not so much a problem since I'm kind of used to being alone most of the time anyway.
Over the years I've gone from being almost a 100% hermit and ONLY going outside the house AFTER dark to enjoying gardening, chores around the yards, fortnightly Grocery Shopping Trips, and the frequent visits from good and close friends, but since the Isolation bit, it is the visits to and from my close friends that I miss the most.
I have no idea as to what those stuck in Apartments/Flats do with themselves during these hard times, though I did spend almost 10 months in Ronald McDonald House, Adelaide with my daughter while she underwent Chemotherapy but that was in a Community Style Living situation where 99% of the people there were very friendly and most welcoming so that is no real comparison I suppose.
I assume/suppose that City People are so used to the crowding, hustle and bustle, etc, of City Life that even a small amount of Isolation takes its eventually but us Country People out here just see as a kind of 'normal day at the Office' so to speak.

We’ve this so-called, “free society.” What you’ve described is it’s cost. Shaming some for what the majority do is no answer. Those of us here wade through it. Some thrive, so have no plans of moving elsewhere, yet.

Do keep in mind - the USA is made up of more representatives and cultures than any nation in history. So, what happens here is not ‘an American’ thing - it’s a Human thing. ‘This’ is what humans do when given more resources, political power, and freedom…

Varn Level 8 May 3, 2020

I think you are kidding yourself. I have friends who are immigrants and second generation Americans and they all behave like Americans. Drive everywhere. Walk or cycle ? come on. Eat a high proportion of junk food and a high proportion have weight problems.
Sadly what America does today many other countries do tomorrow.

It is not acceptable to attack other independent nations of people in order to steal their property to solve the greed of your many cultures & representatives who act in unified manner to satisfy that greed.

@Moravian, @FrayedBear It appears a couple of you have just denied a cold fact - ‘Americans’ are from everywhere - and (as described) - reflect Human behavior ..given equal freedom & resources ...not sure where I lost you 😉

@Moravian And so it seems, there are some Americans who still want to Americanize the entire world.
But this little Aussie will stand and fight Americanization until they cart away my dead, stiff body in box, I AM an Aussie, I have, hold and cherish my Aussie Identity and NO-ONE is going to take that away from me.

@Varn "Americans are from everywhere" So ?. They still behave in a peculiarly American way.
An Example -: The Netherlands. GDP just marginally less than the USA People cycle everywhere Percentage of obese People 18%. USA , hardly anyone cycles. Obese % 33%

@Triphid I remember when the first Burger King opened in the UK at Heathrow Airoport. They widely advertised their flame grilled burger obvioulsy show their superiority to Macdonalds, On the first week the burger bar caught fire. That was funny [independent.co.uk]

@Moravian Like religiosity, the pernicious greed promoting nature of USA culture is widely promulgated by Americans & sycophants then spread. That does not make it good.
New citizens are required to show allegiance to the USA which is a deeply damaged self destroying society requiring childish displays of fealty.
The danger of Americanism has been long recognised & resisted by the French.

@Moravian, @Varn perhaps it is you who is " lost" & in denial?

@Varn, @Moravian Burgher king -they all should be burned down.

@Moravian, @FrayedBear ...then take a look at the USA’s ‘upper midwest,’ ‘settled’ in large part by former Norwegians. They’re as fat, white, arrogant and red-necked as the deepest of our Southerners … and likely as over-armed, too 🙂 Nothing in the water.. and nothing up our sleeves … just an abundance of resources and the freedom to squander them to their enlarged heart’s content!

@Triphid Fewer Aussies in ‘America’ (America is two continents). And unlike us, you Aussies were entirely formed as a British Penal Colony! Though, my British friend accurately describes my (new) home state, or Commonwealth of Virginia as having basically become the indentured equivalent in it’s early years. So - we’re of similar stock!

...except, ‘our culture’ now represents what unchecked greed can acquire, having consumed a continent of riches … as opposed to one with little.. It appears we’ve both left a few Aboriginals. Though, those in the USA were directly responsible for the largest dieoff of land mammals in the continent’s history. So in a way, our current inhabitants are carrying on ‘their tradition.’

By ‘ours,’ I don’t mean yours or mine, it’s the base behavior of Humanity, if showing how little one’s ‘culture’ has to do with their ultimate actions … given a ‘Virgin Continent’ or two to exploit. If we get too uppity, though … Nature strikes back .. China-19 being a timely example 😕

@Varn Reads like you are wallowing in the "let's hate China" indoctrination being pumped by the Trumpsters to deflect from their criminal negligence.
If COVID 19 is nature striking back why call it China-19? Why not Gaia-19?

@Varn So history is rewritten to state that it wasn't white men who nearly exterminated the carrier pigeon and buffalo but those pesky First Nation Peoples with their bows and arrows? Who perpetrated genocide against the American First Nations? The snow goose?

@FrayedBear Seems you’re in dire need of an argument 😀 Damn glad I’ve better things to do.. China bears responsibility for this one, as you could say it has for many before it. Playing politically correct is BS when attempting to shut down behavior responsible for threatening my parent's lives!

One sixteenth Native American (mom's one eighth), I’ve some credibility in acknowledging the massive extermination and extinction of more North American land mammals after their arrival to North & South America than I care to search… Though nothing to brag about, modern European contribution is minuscule in comparison..

@Varn Wow, such folie or cognitive dissonance.Your president & govenment were responsible for letting more than 700,000 Chinese visit after COVID 19 was identified as pandemic inChina. So much for your famed homeland security & FBI.

Are you misunderstanding me or infact are you saying that your First People's ancestors were responsible for massive animal extinction?

@Varn YESSS, my knowledge of Geogrphy is quite good and I know that there is a North and South in the American Continent but, perhaps, I should, for your benefit use the terminology of U.S. Americanism.
And yes, many of us Aussies can trace our heritage back to the Convicts of the Penal Colonies, the same convicts who were shipped here by the British Nobility(???) because they stole a loaf of bread, etc, to feed their starving families, etc.
They were often treated worse than slaves, worked their arses off under the British wielded lash and built this country with their own, sweat, blood and often bones up to what was until the likes of the L.N.P governemts snatched power, with the covert help of the U.S. and Britain, after Gough Whitlam.
Oh, and btw, it was NOT the indigenous Nations of the U.S. who drove such species as the Bison, Wolf, Bear, Coyote, Beaver, etc, etc, to very verge of Extinct, it WAS the European Settlers who did that FYI.
The Indigenous peoples hunted only for food and used every bit of their prey whereas your vaunted European Ancestors/Settlers went mainly after pelts and only the tenderest pieces of meat leaving the rest to rot in the sun.
How many Indigenous Tribes/Clans did your vaunted Settlers kill off completely or drive from their Traditional Lands and stick on Reservations like they did to my Cherokee Ancestors and Peoples?
How many MILLION Bison did your vaunted European Settlers kill just for fun of it by shooting from the carriage windows on trains or were shot in the MASS hunts like te ones your HERO, Buffalo Bill was involved in?
Yes, Australia and Australians have to answer for the things they did to our Indigenous peoples BUT, imo, the Non-Indigenous peoples of the U.S. have far, far more to answer for including the all-out attempts at Genocide of the Indigenous Natives of the U.S. and that, Sir, is just for starters.
As is so often said, " The U.S. comes along speaking loudly of Democracy but leaves behind it only a land that is little more than a desert and call it peace."

@Varn the USA since its inception is unique amongst all nations for its treatment of non whites, genocide of first nations, exploitation of the working classes, greed, bullying,corrupt practice etc.
Have you read the following which identifies more of the US governments duplicity against its citizens: [wsws.org]?

@FrayedBear, @Triphid ..sorry people, social shutdown has obviously taken a toll 😀 Don’t care to play ~

No. It's an American thing.

@Moravian Damn ...was just thinking all I’ve done and learned since last checking in above ..to find a handful of you are still attempting to prove me wrong? Is that some kind of a complement 😉 I stand by everything I’ve written, actually, even more so 🙂

@Varn It's probably a cruel pastime but keeps us amused

@Varn Do the words "Run rabbit, run rabbit, run, run , run mean anything to you or would, perhaps, prefer Chicken Little?

Commodity Fetishism Withdrawal can be traumatizing for people conditioned to mindless consumerism!

Brilliant!

I didn’t read your post because I hadn’t seen it.

I couldn’t heed that advice because I’m still working full time. However, I am making sure to get outdoors as many days as possible, I’m cooking healthy meals at home, I’m exercising almost every day, and I’m avoiding junk food. So I’d say I’m doing pretty well. 🙂

Agreed & you're lucky still working.

@FrayedBear I am lucky! I have friends who aren’t working due to all this. I’m in a job where I’ve been working from home for 5 years, so my life is little changed. I’m just putting more money into savings because no job is ever guaranteed, and who’s to say what the future holds?

@Apunzelle stay safe.

Polls say this, polls say that. Where are the links to those polls? So people are eating more snack foods—sure, but how much more? How does that translate into “binging”? One in five are “guzzling” more alcohol—that’s not “most”. That site says nothing about watching TV, gambling or buying on credit. It is totally understandable that people would be buying on credit and watching more TV if they’ve been laid off from their jobs.

What I think is that Michael Snyder is describing himself and projecting that onto all of us. I don’t know anyone at all who is not coping with lockdown. We can manage our lives without domineering and over-solicitous advice-givers.

An interesting observation. Thank you.

For me this lock down is no different than how I live daily except school was closed so no bus driving. I live alone, no local friends, and not big on socializing to begin. I do have a couple friends who live hundreds or a thousand miles away. I cook all my own meals and go out to eat a couple of times a year when my daughter comes to visit, she lives about 100 miles from me. I stay home and have plenty to keep me occupied, either maintaining the house and yard or multiple forms of entertainment. So for me, no problem.

And so it is for many who silently bear their lot.

That very well describes me and my lifestyle.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:491907
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.